Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Magic in JADE

Default Magic in Jade

The Wizardry series is similiar in this way - for example if you are a mage (magic user that specializes in fire and water spells) here are a list of the various fire damaging spells and what they do:

Energy Blast - directed at 1 enemy causing some damage

Fire Ball - directed at a location -causes damage to anything it hits within a certain radius

Fire Storm - directed at a location - causes lasting fire damage to anything it hits within a certain radius - amount of damage goes down each round and lasts from a few to several rounds depending on spell level

Theres also a priest fire spell -

Ring of Fire - creates a ring of fire around the caster which lasts from a few to several rounds depending on spell level - anything next to you during that round is hit with some fire damage - the amount of damage decreases over time (ring moves w/ the caster).

And theres a special Psionic (think telekeneticist) spell:

Psionic Fire - shoots fire from the psionicist in a V like shape outward from the caster causing fire damage to anything it hits in its path

(theres more fire damaging spells in Wizardry but they are similiar to what's already here - like alchemists get "fire bomb" - but it's really just a different name for "fire ball")

Taking a cue from Wizardry you could easily implement the energy blast, keep fire bolt, fire ball, and improved fireball but also add firestorm, psionic fire, and ring of fire.

Quote Originally Posted by Tannis View Post
    I also think mages should not have free equipment reign. In most RPGs fighters suck at magic, but the trade off is they walk around in huge plate mail. In ADOM, a mage can enjoy that plate mail and still blast enemies with magic. Wearing heavy armor should severely impede magic casting, such as increasing the failure rate or something. Exceptions could be items like mage plate, or items of elven craft.
    I've never liked that solution (i remember it from Moria - the very first RL i played) and I also don't like restricting certain items only to physical classes (for example twohanded swords that can be used only by fighters). I'd rather like to see some kind of "armor using" skill and increase the number of skill checks needed to raise that skill level for wizards, so they would get big negative modifier to DV and speed and using heavy armors would require loooong and hard training. The effect will be almost the same but there will be no hard restrictions - if the player chooses to create some kind of "battlemage" capable of using plate mail, morgenstern and tower shield, he can do it (although it will be major PITA because of the negative modifiers).

I have another idea for nerfing wizards (especially high level ones): spells should have different casting time, during that time the wizard have to stay focused and every distraction (for example horde of charging monsters) will increase that time (effect that should depend on Willpower, Concentration, Courage and so on). If the wizard is hit or nearly hit by the monster when casting the spell several things may happen: the casting time is slightly increased, the spell backfires at the wizard (if it was near completion), the spell is "released" prematurely and works only with half power (maybe add some nice random effects for high level spells), etc. This way the wizard can still use some basic spells in direct combat, but can't just teleport straight into the room full of monsters and nuke them with acid ball.

I have to agree with both of your suggestions, chalup - they would help make wizards much more balanced (which would then allow for more powerful spells to be added in!)

More spells are good.

Restricting things to classes is not good. Why should a fighter not be able to learn how to do magic? It should take time, but it should be possible.

What Chalup suggested sounds reasonable.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by chalup View Post
    -- player should face some game defining choices when playing, for example some spells should be mutually exclusive (if you learn some high level frost spells, you can't cast anything more than burning hands from fire spells repertoire.) --
    There shouldn't be hard limitations in the game. I agree on that. Otherwise I'm not sure. I tend to emphasize "realism". How could the powerful frost spells stop the player from learning fire spells?

Some thoughts:

IMHO casting spells from a given school should increase the power of all spells in that school as well as training the one casted. The same for weapon training. Of course the schoolwide effect is lesser. Maybe the effectiveness of unused spells could degrade over time to the base values. I also second a Mana recommendation for spells and a Strength recommendation for heavy armour and weapons. If a stat is below the recommended value severe penalties will be applied for the action (spells become weaker, spells cost a lot of mana, casting a spell may not produce the desired effect or will trigger nasty side effects and wearing too heavy an armour will severely hinder movement). In theory heavy cumbersome armour should always reduce DV and speed to some extent, regardless of class (or guild membership). An extremely high Strength could help though.

I think spells should become more difficult to be more proficient in the more you increase them, much like they are in ADOM. Thus to truly master an area of magic you would have to neglect many others.

Exclamation

[QUOTE=myrddin;741]The Wizardry series is similiar in this way QUOTE]

Wizardry rocks =)

Yeah all you guys got good points, i wasnt trying to get a make wizards uber thread going, this was just one thing that i thought was lacking. Special abilities for melee is also needed instead of semi basic thing adom has going for them. Maybe get melee better bonuses for getting better with certain weapons. Right now advancing in say pole arms only got you + to hit, + to dmg, and + to DV. Maybe once you become"skilled" with polearms you can perform a sweeping attack with your polearm knocking an enemy prone for a turn or two, and maybe when you become even more skilled ou have a chance to pierce an enemy and damage the next enemy behind them. After all pole arms are kind of long. Maybe if you get better with daggers you have a chance to by-pass PV just like a phase dagger, since you're very skilled with such a small blade you know how to get into enemy weak points like under the arms or the neck. Make daggers usefull again! Getting good with staves you can go into a defensive flurry with it deflecting many incomming blows while spinning your staff rapidly. Getting good with axes you could swing your axe around you in rapid succesion damage all enemies around you similar to a circle kick. With bows? Get them sniping skills going using some kind of eagle eye (Yeah its a talent this is just an example name) you can extend your vision in a certain direction for one round and increase damage x2 to get that all important first shot off even sooner. Of course ALL these actions would cost more power to perform and have maybe certain other negatives. Possibilities are endless in roguelikes like i always said. The Creator better be reading this forum we got good ideas going here!

Custom spells for race/class combinations.
    What a deliciously boring signature.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroTheBird View Post
    Custom spells for race/class combinations.
    Please not! Why should character creation be what determines your later style of games, without any possibility to rethink your decision?

For choosing the race, ok. But then, there may be a !PP (Potion of Permanent Polymorph, permanently changes your race)... artifact, of course.

But class? Why?
    Of course it's unfair - that's the whole point.

The Adom wiki: everything you don't want to know about Adom.
    http://ancardia.wikia.com/

I think it's a bit weird in ADOM that the knowledge of a spell actually decreases when you use one. Also why do spell books have to disappear after reading them? If you have read the book completely the game could just tell that the character can't learn anything new from the book. Perhaps reading another book of the same kind could increase the spell's effectivity somewhat.

I also don't like the fact that you can't cast bolt spells in any direction in the same way as throwing things.