Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Limited turns challenge!

Default Limited turns challenge!

Don't worry, it has nothing to do with gray elven wizards : )

Roll any PC you like, as long as they are not a spellcaster or mindcrafter. [scratch this restriction]
    Drown your PC in the pihrana lake in the fewest game-turns possible.
    Use any tactics you like except for the turn bug or piety scumming.
    Post your race/class combo's 'victory' in this thread.
    Try to beat the 'victories' of other player's race/class combo's.

EDITs to the rules:
    All classes are eligible. The AutoPickup feature should be disabled.
    You get points for victories. 3 points for 1st place, 2 points for 2nd,
    and 1 point for 3rd.

Current champs in each class.
    Code:
    Archer......... 1st. Ars - 'Swimmer', human, 608 turns 
                    2nd. 
                    3rd. 
    Assassin....... 1st.
                    2nd. 
                    3rd.
    Barbarian...... 1st.
                    2nd. 
                    3rd.
    Bard........... 1st.
                    2nd. 
                    3rd.
    Beastfighter... 1st.
                    2nd. 
                    3rd.
    Druid ......... 1st.
                    2nd. 
                    3rd.
    Elementalist... 1st. Grey - gnome, 486
                    2nd. 
                    3rd. 
    Farmer......... 1st.
                    2nd. 
                    3rd. 
    Fighter........ 1st.
                    2nd. 
                    3rd. 
    Healer......... 1st.
                    2nd. 
                    3rd. 
    Merchant....... 1st. Soirana - 'Rare', human, 626 turns, 6256 points
                    2nd. 
                    3rd.
    Mindcrafter.... 1st.
                    2nd. 
                    3rd. 
    Monk........... 1st.
                    2nd. 
                    3rd.
    Necromancer.... 1st.
                    2nd. 
                    3rd. 
    Paladin........ 1st.
                    2nd. 
                    3rd. 
    Priest......... 1st.
                    2nd. 
                    3rd.
    Ranger......... 1st. MOTA - human, 300....
                    2nd. 
                    3rd.
    Thief.......... 1st.
                    2nd. 
                    3rd.
    Weaponsmith.... 1st.
                    2nd. 
                    3rd. 
    Wizard......... 1st. meh - hurthling, 446
                    2nd. 
                    3rd.
    Current overall champs:
    Ars........................................... 3 points
    MOTA....................................... 3 points
    meh......................................... 3 points
    Grey........................................ 3 points
    Last edited by gut; 10-10-2008 at 08:48 AM.
    "Whip me!" pleads the adom player. The rng replies... "No."

Nice idea. Shouldn't take too long either, which is great.

I think I'll try this stragiht ahead.

Edit: Oh and what's the policy with auto-pickup? I would say that it shouldn't be allowed.
    Last edited by Ars; 09-30-2008 at 11:29 AM.

Here's the first one:

Swimmer, human archer, 608 turns.

swimmer.flg

So, I went straight to gremling cave. 2 wilderness encounters, hobgoblins which I ran from and dogs which I shot. Didn't pick up the arrows except some which were sitting atop 2 corpses which I ate. In the cave climbing set was quickly found, before any gremlins, that was very lucky.

Then to the high kings cave. First level was difficult, being lvl 2 or 3 upon entering and not finding the stairs soon. But managed to shoot or run from everything though. Rest of the caves were relatively easy, didn't encounter any summoners luckily. Just ran through, and shot very few monsters which were blocking my way. Stairs were luckily found in quite short order. Hitpoints were really low though upon entering the tomb.

Could've snatched a few turns off by never picking any missiles up, and optimising movement in few places, but not much. I would say that one has to get really lucky with staircases and monster generation to beat this time with similar character and tactics.

Oh and race/class was obviously chosen for torches and killing power. Raven as starsign helped at running away, as did talents (long stride/quick/very quick).

First I tried human and troll bards, but human bards got killed by gremlins and the one troll I tried, luckily got the climing set in the dark (had wand of light though), and found a glowing wand ( my first ever! - wished for wands of teleportation, rings of tele ctrl, and food), but got stupidly killed while eating as I was nearly starving upon finding the wand. Though due to time spent with gremlins, that game was in the 800s anyway. EDIT: And bards were chosen for getting 7LBs.

The best i can do is 300....

i chose a human (for the torches in gremlin cave) ranger (for the bow and because i think they get more hit points than archers)

food was a big problem for me,ran away from all monsters (tactic:coward) so no corpses....i was so close to dying of starvation when i launched myself into the lake.....

its funny....im a little bit of a noob and i never realised you could get to places like the tomb of high kings so early in the game.....wouldnt have stood much change against the king himself though....only got to level 3.....

maybe an adaption on this on would be to kill the king and get the ring in the least amount of turns.....would be hard without spells though

MOTA
    Last edited by MOTA; 09-30-2008 at 03:36 PM. Reason: just checked, wasn't level 3...stupid idiot that was another pc....the human ranger was level 1

300?

Holy shit, well done!
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.

i wanted my post to seem quite casual.....but to be honest it took quite a few times to get that score......i wanted to do well as its the first challenge i've done on this site and as i havnt even managed to complete the game i figured it might be a good way to show im not a complete idiot.....

or maybe the fact it too me over 30 times to get that score shows that i am in fact a rather large idiot....lol

In anycase i rather liked this challenge and im looking forward to seeing how my score matches up with the pros....

MOTA

Yeah, I thought I did a good score... But then again it was my first to actually make it, of maybe 6 tries that didn't stop to sudden gremlin bomb. It is easily possible to get the climbing set & stairs close to each other by just repeating the thing. Also it's much easier to stay alive when those are luckily placed.

We have a couple of power PC victories, now let's see who
    can do it with a farmer : )

The original post has been edited a bit.
    "Whip me!" pleads the adom player. The rng replies... "No."

I'm just going to grab a few of my old saved games that I'm bored of and go dump them in the lake. Even with 100000 turns, I will be the winner briefly for various classes. Mwahaha.

Actually with enough repeats, every class can pull it off nicely. With luck, you'll never encounter a monster you can't outrun. Ok, light source speeds things up enormously. But every class can do it, with the right race.