Thread: Potions

Default Potions

Was reading some old threads on the adom newsgroup and there was what I thought was a brilliant idea.

Maybe when you 'D'rink or '!'dip something into a potion you have a certain percentage chance that instead of the item disappearing you could end up with an empty flask or vial.

Then when you come across various water sources you could fill it up, but also you run the risk of the not necessarily knowing the status of that water but you could still get it blessed. You could then also fill your vial at a pool and it will give you a random potion or even a chance while filling it you spill some and you get some other random affect.

Any thoughts?

Collecting whole bunch of holy water would be way too easy. If the potion flasks are refillable (good idea, especially if some kind of advanced Alchemy will be implemented), the effect of holy water have to be reduced AND/OR turning water into holy water have to be lot harder than in ADOM.

I agree on that point - water would become too easy to obtain. Perhaps the general idea in ADOM is that potions of water are specially distilled or something like that - purer than the average water you'd get from a river. Filling vials at pools for random potions is a cool idea though.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    -- potions of water are specially distilled or something like that - purer than the average water you'd get from a river. Filling vials at pools for random potions is a cool idea though.
    I'm of the same opinion. I think you should be able to keep the flask after drinking a potion. If you fill the flask with the water from a river you'll get a "potion of filthy water" which has a chance of causing a horrible disease if drunk. The chance woud be based on the toughness of the character. On the other hand... You could find a "pool of crystal clear water".

Well, I'm sure this has been suggested many times and rebutted many times, but lets think about it anyway. The perceived problems:
    - Potions are so common that there would be many empty flasks around.
    - If they can be filled with water, creating holy water from them would be simple - resulting in an easy infinite supply of holy water.
    Besides these, these potions are magical, so it's fairly easy to justify that the flask just dissapears after drinking.

Filling them via pools would be okay, but I personally am not keen on it. It would need to "use up" the pool eventually, or you could just fill up a bottle, drink it, fill up, drink, etc. forever. There would be _so_ many useless flasks around. Perhaps if dipping flasks in pools only gave you potions of poison, confusion or blindness it might work.

The current state does seem a little counter-intuitive - i.e. potions need a container and the container should remain after consuming its contents. But does that really matter?

Hmm. The empty bottles thing reminds me of the good ole Dungeon Master.
    I'm kinda ambivalent to this, most of the time it simply means more junk in the backpack, and perhaps
    to counter the increased holy water availability something woud have too be introduced (like the need for NPC to drink), but I think it just needlesly adds to the overal complexity of an already well balanced thing.

Let's pretend, that the ADOM potions are like vodka bottles (well, the good ones anyway): you can pour stuff out, but not back in. (-:

I like the idea of refilling the potion flasks. Perhaps they are made of some easily shatterable material, and if they are empty, have a chance breaking (and disapearing) any time you are hit, so you are motivated to keep them filled.

Also, i like the idea of regular water from a river or whatnot being a 'potion of filthy water' and maybe having to go some extra step to turn it into regular water which could then be made into holy water. You could perhaps also impose a limit on the number of times per altar, or per n turns that you can turn water into holy water.

As for filling the potions from pools, that would be ok if it isn't something like saving pool water for later. I like that if you are lucky enough to find a pool, you need to drink there, and fight whatever is near you so you can do it peacefully. I would actually like to see filling potions from pools as the only way to get some types of potions needed for a few of the alchemy recipes. Instead of directly useful potions, you could get a potion of dungeon-water or pool-water or something that is inherently useless, but needed as an ingredient in your potion of distilled-dungeon-essence or something.

To summarize: good idea, needs to be well thought out, or not used.