Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ADOM Sage for Ubuntu, and other distros

Quote Originally Posted by Stathol View Post
    Hmmm...how so? You might be looking at the date of one the original source files. They happen to all be dated Nov. 20, 2002.
    Haha, I was damn sure to have taken a third and even seventh glance at your file dates, but now on the eighth look I have to admit: you are right and something is wrong with my perception. Keep up the good work.

Quote Originally Posted by vogonpoet View Post
    well, there is a chace I will be making the change over to Linux at some point
    Well, if you do, I cannot recommend Debian-based distributions highly enough (ex. (K/X)Ubuntu, G/Knoppix, Xandros). The apt-get/Synaptic system makes installing and updating software unbelievably easy. For the vast majority of users, it's at least as easy using Windows, and that's not something I've always been able to say. Incidentally, I just switched over myself about 2 months ago. I was expecting it to be a pretty rough transition, but it's actually been pretty darn easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Soirana View Post
    Don't take my irony to deep. It was meant more for Linux, not your efforts.
    Although i use Linux for one strict purpouse - as an autobooting system CD to extract windows passwords, which are believed to be protected by mine system admin.
    Heh, no offense taken. I'm a long-time Windows user, myself. LiveCDs are a great thing, though. I once had to use one to repair a partition table that had gotten scrambled on one of my Windows systems at work. I forget the name of the utility now, but the was a handy program that would scan the HDD for file system structures and try to guess where the partitions started and ended. That thing worked miracles.

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    I've been trying for some time to get ADOM Sage to rn on my Eee PC - this solves everything.
    Glad it worked. I don't have any other *nix system to test it on.

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Knievel View Post
    Haha, I was damn sure to have taken a third and even seventh glance at your file dates, but now on the eighth look I have to admit: you are right and something is wrong with my perception. Keep up the good work.
    Heh. I did a double-take when looked at the .diff file. For second there, I thought you were right. I couldn't figure out how they got dated 3 days in the future, because my system clock was right. Apparently it's been almost exactly 6 years since the last Sage release.

Default *bump*

*bump*

A new version is available that fixes additional compile errors that have cropped up since then due to changes in the GNU C++ libraries. (Also, now with 100% less 404 errors!)

If you've been using the pre-compiled binaries from my original Nov. 2008 version, there's probably no reason to update them. This is just a minor update to the source to kill some errors involving some <cstring> functions, but you'll need it if you're trying to compile from source.

Note that this version does not compile totally cleanly. Sorry. That may be fixed soon. See the top post for details.

The apt-get/Synaptic system makes installing and updating software unbelievably easy.
    At least as long as you don't want to install anything from source, at least... I think? At least I have not yet figured out any way to do that easily. Don't you start with `checkinstall`, it seems to fail most of the times I try.

EDIT: When I have time I'll give Arch Linux a shot, I heard it has a superior package management system. *And* it has rolling releases, which is another thing I am really, really missing in Ubuntu.
    Of course it's unfair - that's the whole point.

The Adom wiki: everything you don't want to know about Adom.
    http://ancardia.wikia.com/

stathol.dyndns.org does not exist. Anyone got copies of the links in the OP? I'll rehost.
    ADOM, where the most commonly used letter in the alphabet is the explosive rune. - starfries

I thought that I had the .diff file stored somewhere, but unfortunately this does not seem to be the case.

In case someone needed to compile it *now*, I whipped up a quick solution addressing only issues #1 and #3 from the first post, that seems to get it to compile when used with version hosted at http://kiserai.net/adom/sage/, although with many compiler warnings.

Place the .diff file in the Sage source folder and run:

Code:
    patch < temp_fix.diff
    In the meanwhile I'll look for the original patch.

EDIT: As the .diff file becomes rubbish after being treated with Windows machine, here is the same thing in plain text:

Code:
    diff -u sage-frontend.cc sage-frontend.cc
    --- sage-frontend.cc    2002-11-20 17:20:03.000000000 +0100
    +++ sage-frontend.cc    2010-04-08 23:48:45.000000000 +0200
    @@ -15,6 +15,8 @@
     #include <sys/stat.h>
     #include <string>

+using namespace std;
    +
     char *optarg;
     int optind, opterr, optopt;

diff -u stl.h stl.h
    --- stl.h       2002-11-20 17:20:03.000000000 +0100
    +++ stl.h       2010-04-08 23:48:02.000000000 +0200
    @@ -10,11 +10,13 @@

#include <vector>
     #include <string>
    -#include <hash_map>
    +#include <ext/hash_map>
     #include <list>
     #include <map>
     #include <deque>

+using namespace std;
    +using namespace __gnu_cxx;

/*---------------------------------------------------------------------------
      * STL helpers - common
    Just save is as temp_fix.diff and you are all set.
    Last edited by averus; 04-09-2010 at 12:32 AM.

Awesome, getting there. I had to add #include <cstring> to stl.h and sage-frontend.cc in order to get it to compile, in addition to averus's changes. The patch so far.
    ADOM, where the most commonly used letter in the alphabet is the explosive rune. - starfries

Another version of the patch, but instead of focusing on compiler warnings I decided to add something that always irked me - proper damage display for unarmed combat, for all classes. Unfortunately, my knowledge of C++ is limited, so it's a shabby hack of a patch now. Let me know if it works with your system configuration.

Here is the version 5 of the patch. <<< CURRENT VERSION

EDIT:

I added version 5 of the patch, I believe all of the original issues addressed by Stathol's patch have been resolved here as well.
    Last edited by averus; 04-13-2010 at 01:55 AM. Reason: Next version of the patch added.

Whoops. I forgot these were hosted from my home PC, which was recently replaced. I've edited the OP with the new hosting location. This should be more stable since it's a hosted VPS.

Nevertheless, if anything goes wrong with the hosting in the future, just PM me here. I haven't really messed with ADOM in nearly 2 years, so I haven't been following the forums. But I do have it set up to ping my gmail account, so I should see your message within the week, at least. Sorry for taking longer than that to respond this time, Alucard -- I caught a bad cold right after I saw your email, and it took my antihistamine-addled brain a little longer than I intended to remember to update this.

Anyhow, I haven't messed with this patch since my update about 12 months ago, so I don't know if it compiles/runs cleanly on the latest *nixes. Averus's patch may be the better part of valor. Mine was never more than "a shabby hack of patch", either.

Edit:

Also, if someone wants to mirror these somewhere, I can update the OP with alternative sources. I've been thinking of getting my own VPS lately. If I do, I'll probably make that the primary and let meriwoker be the fallback.
    Last edited by Stathol; 04-13-2010 at 05:12 PM.

New version, I peeked at Stathol's sources and tweaked my version appropriately, all the fixes mentioned in the first post are present now. (Except for "Initialized some uninitialized variables in the get_key function of io.cc." - is that one really necessary?)

Additionally:
    • the damage for barehanded combat is now displayed properly,
    • got rid of the ambigious else statement warning,
    • the code just got prettier (and easier to read IMO), all thanks to Artistic Style.

Things to add:
    • proper kick damage display for monks. <<< Could not reproduce, probably my mistake.

I don't provide a patch this time, since it would be twice as big as the sources themselves.

Precompiled Linux binaries:

adom-sage-0.9.1-2010-04-13.tar.gz

Updated source tarball:

adom-sage-0.9.1-2010-04-13-src.tar.gz
    Last edited by averus; 04-14-2010 at 12:19 AM.