Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ADOM and music

Default ADOM and music

I havent played ADOM much in recent years but I started again few days ago. Anyway, I have been thinking about what kind of music you prefer to listen while playing ADOM or do you just enjoy silence?

I almost always have something going in the background, either
    a book or music. I like anything I can sing along with really. Lately
    it's been Johnny Cash and Hootie and the Blowfish. I guess I prefer
    singers with the same kind of accent I have : )
    "Whip me!" pleads the adom player. The rng replies... "No."

for me its usually silence or the tv in the background, i really only listen to music when im driving unless its part of a games soundtrack. wizardry 8 music might be cool to find a way to sync it with adom though.

usually radio. I used to have specific song for ToEF. Actually i have idea to make proper collection for specific loactions, but was always too lazy.

I never found a running download link for adomsage, so I don't know about it. Still I think that with it, it could be possible to control a mp3 player software to change music when location changes.
    EDIT: or when HP drops low - maybe the warning sound and silence, so you keep in mind to hesitate now.
    Last edited by Evil Knievel; 12-08-2008 at 02:11 PM.

what a great idea! does anyone can contact sage's creator?

If anyone has ever played Everquest the Planes of Power soundtrack would be great in adom. Of all the soundtracks in MMOs I think the planes of power expansion had the best soundtrack. Very atmospheric and downright cool. the Bastion of Thunder or Plane of Air could go with temple of air level, Plane of Fire could obviously go with ToEF. Plane of Water, you guessed where that goes. Maybe put Plane of Torment with the dark unicorn glade. Plane of Tranquility with white unicorn. Plane of Knowledge could be the library. Plane of Earth, earth temple. Plane of Innovation could go with darkforge.

Theres all kinds of cool songs on that soundtrack is anyone has it...if not, well, I have it. From cool places too.
    Plane of Tactics, Plane of Justice, Plane of Nightmares, Plane of Disease, Plane of Storms, Plane of Time.

and i know it wouldnt be hard to do, the Doom RL has a specific sound track for each level and that was a 7DRL

Quote Originally Posted by Sradac View Post
    Of all the soundtracks in MMOs I think the planes of power expansion had the best soundtrack. Very atmospheric and downright cool.

Haven't ever listened to that soundtrack, but WoW has some pretty amazing music. The WotLK soundtrack is really good (at least I've been told that, never played it), and the old Naxxramas music (don't know if it's the same as the new Naxxramas) was brilliant.

I was thinking, it would be really cool feature for Jade, if you could queue your own mp3s in a soundtrack file, and then flag them for specific types of location and get the game to generate your playlist on the fly.

Everytime the PC enters a new location, the game could check the type of location against the playlist, and then [fade in / make next on the list] a randomly selected appropriate track, to reflect where you are.

The game would keep track of the players progress (not the PC), and as more and more types of location are opened up by the player, the mp3s in the players master list could be flagged with the new location types, or just as randoms.

For instance you might flag Money for Nothing and Pink Floyds Money for Shop locations, and Coal Chamber's song with the sample of "Da roof is on Fire" (Sway???) for Volcano (ToEFesque) locations, Wild Thing (I think I love you) for Wilderness, Handels Water music for river crossings, etc etc.

It could be made so that flagging a track would just increase probability of that track being selected once you enter a location type, and thus random roguelike soundtracks could be built up - if you had 10 different Shop associated tracks, you might never hear all of them.

Being able to exclude tracks from some locations would also be cool - I might not want Elvis is Everwhere by Mojo Nixon anywhere apart from Other-planes-of-existence locations perhaps...

So game would need two entities:
    A central list of location types the player (not the PC) has visited.
    A play list array that lets you flag tracks with a location on the list and a probability (0, maybe, probably, definitely) for each location.

Randomly generated context sensitive customisable Roguelike playlists FTW!