Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Advanced Dungeons of Freedom

Default Advanced Dungeons of Freedom

Advanced Dungeons of Freedom is a software for making clone of ADOM written in Javascript and licensed by GNU GPL version 3 or later version. First I will make ADOM-mode and then after that I will make extended-mode also. A lot of the things are not written yet, but I don't know everything about how ADOM works internally anyways. Please tell me if there is a mistake, a improvement, or if you can help in other ways also (such as writing some parts of some modules, writing a explanation of some of things in ADOM that I don't know, etc). Download from: http://zzo38computer.cjb.net/ADoF/

whatever this is supposed to be dosent work. run the exe and gives me an error " could not find compatable GRE between version 1.8.9999 and 1.*."

fail.
    To this day I have not once scummed in ADOM.
    Probably why I dont have a win.

Quote Originally Posted by Sradac View Post
    whatever this is supposed to be dosent work. run the exe and gives me an error " could not find compatable GRE between version 1.8.9999 and 1.*."

fail.
    Do you have a compatible version of GRE installed? Even if you do, the program doesn't do anything useful yet if you just try to run it (it will display the 80x25 text grid but it won't currently do anything else). The things you might want to look at are in the "chrome" directory and its subdirectories. I would really like to know if I missed some properties or something like that. If you know many things about ADOM then you might be able to help with this project. The file called "prototypes.js" contains the constants and prototypes for things used in ADOM and ADoF, maybe you can figure out from that if there are any missing properties or methods, or if there are other mistakes in those files.

Forget it, ADOM is the result of nearly 15 years of work.

Thomas Biskup holds ADOM's copyright. I do not think what you are trying to do is legally a good idea. Actually I am pretty sure what you are doing infringes on TB's rights.

To make an exact clone of ADOM, you would have to reverse engineer it completely. Have fun with that, "we" (means "someone") have tried that for years - the guidebook being one of the results. It's far from complete.

How did you build the .exe ? Please send me the source code. [the GPL requires you to do that if someone asks, and obviously there is something missing in the .zip file, because from those files alone I can not build the .exe].

I doubt JavaScript is the right language for this kind of project.

The name ("Advanced Dungeons of Freedom") is just stupid, although buzzword-compliant.

You. Do. Not. Have. The. Slightest. Idea. What. You. Are. Doing.

EDITs:

And you got the GPL thing completely wrong. First of all, just MUST have a copyright line. Period. Second, you must include the license in the distrib, and/or write how one can get it.

Starting by just listing lots of constants is dumb and won't help anyone.

Starting by asking for developers is dumb too. First create something to show us that you are worth our help. At least that's how it is usually done.

Here's well-meant a recommendation: drop the "ADOM" part, make your own roguelike. Just make *something*: map, player on map, player walking, player bouncing against walls. Come back when you are there. If you never get there, well, you see, it's not that easy.
    Enough bashing for now. Feeling better now

[PS: I am not a lawyer, but what you do hurts anyway]

EDIT: Not necessarily meant to be taken offensive, if you manage to remain calm while reading my post, you might even learn something. [I failed when writing this, sorry]
    Last edited by Epythic; 01-25-2009 at 02:52 PM.
    Of course it's unfair - that's the whole point.

The Adom wiki: everything you don't want to know about Adom.
    http://ancardia.wikia.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Epythic View Post
    Forget it, ADOM is the result of nearly 15 years of work.

Thomas Biskup holds ADOM's copyright. I do not think what you are trying to do is legally a good idea. Actually I am pretty sure what you are doing infringes on TB's rights.
    Things can be changed around a bit in order to evade any copyright or trademark issues.

To make an exact clone of ADOM, you would have to reverse engineer it completely. Have fun with that, "we" (means "someone") have tried that for years - the guidebook being one of the results. It's far from complete.
    Some things can just be guessed, other things can be figured out in different ways. But it can be made a first approximation and if something doesn't seem a similar way to ADOM, it can be adjusted.

How did you build the .exe ? Please send me the source code. [the GPL requires you to do that if someone asks, and obviously there is something missing in the .zip file, because from those files alone I can not build the .exe].
    You are right. I did not build the .exe file. It is a copy of xulrunner_stub. Maybe I should just remove it and instead put instructions how to obtain a copy of that file from its original location.

I doubt JavaScript is the right language for this kind of project.
    No, I think JavaScript is good program language. If you disagree, write what you think is wrong with it. (Even Vonkeror, which is a web-browser software, is written almost entirely in JavaScript. I didn't write all the codes, but I made many bug-fixes and improvements in Vonkeror, I am using Vonkeror right now to type this message and it is very good web-browser software in my opinion.)

And you got the GPL thing completely wrong. First of all, just MUST have a copyright line. Period. Second, you must include the license in the distrib, and/or write how one can get it.
    Yes I know these things, but this is just a first copy and it hardly has anything yet. I will include those things in the next release.

Starting by just listing lots of constants is dumb and won't help anyone.
    Again, same answer, this is just a first copy and it hardly has anything yet.

Starting by asking for developers is dumb too. First create something to show us that you are worth our help. At least that's how it is usually done.
    Of course I will create some more things, but I just released the codes just before I go to bed yesterday but I will certainly make more.

EDIT: Not necessarily meant to be taken offensive, if you manage to remain calm while reading my post, you might even learn something. [I failed when writing this, sorry]
    I do manage to remain calm while reading your post. I do not get offended by such things as this.

What is the purpose of this? I can already play ADOM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ars View Post
    What is the purpose of this? I can already play ADOM.
    The purpose of this is:
    • The freedom to run the program, for any purpose.
    • The freedom to study how the program works, and adapt it to your needs.
    • The freedom to redistribute copies so you can help your neighbor.
    • The freedom to improve the program, and release your improvements (and modified versions in general) to the public, so that the whole community benefits.

Quote Originally Posted by zzo38 View Post
    Things can be changed around a bit in order to evade any copyright or trademark issues.
    No, just "changing things a bit" wont do. That would make your clone a derivate work of ADOM, you have no right to do that (I assume you didn't get prior written permission from TB?), therefore your project would be illegal. As far as I know.
    And if you want to clone ADOM you will eventually have to copy the story texts, for example.

Some things can just be guessed, other things can be figured out in different ways. But it can be made a first approximation and if something doesn't seem a similar way to ADOM, it can be adjusted.
    Legal issues aside, good luck: ADOM lives from the details.

You are right. I did not build the .exe file. It is a copy of xulrunner_stub. Maybe I should just remove it and instead put instructions how to obtain a copy of that file from its original location.
    Yeah. I asked for the source because I run linux, and therefore a .exe is not really worth anything to me.

No, I think JavaScript is good program language. If you disagree, write what you think is wrong with it. (Even Vonkeror, which is a web-browser software, is written almost entirely in JavaScript. I didn't write all the codes, but I made many bug-fixes and improvements in Vonkeror, I am using Vonkeror right now to type this message and it is very good web-browser software in my opinion.)
    No, I wont. In the end, it's your choice.

Yes I know these things, but this is just a first copy and it hardly has anything yet. I will include those things in the next release.
    Ah yes.

Of course I will create some more things, but I just released the codes just before I go to bed yesterday but I will certainly make more.
    Ok, will watch it. I still don't think you have a chance. I bet you'll give up within three months.
    Take the bet, show me that I underestimated you
    (Or better don't; I am on TB's side here.)

I do manage to remain calm while reading your post. I do not get offended by such things as this.
    Nice. Anyway, I didn't. I apologize.

Ars, got your point. Think you are right; especially now that TB has considered open-sourcing ADOM.

The purpose of this is:
    • The freedom to run the program, for any purpose.
    • The freedom to study how the program works, and adapt it to your needs.
    • The freedom to redistribute copies so you can help your neighbor.
    • The freedom to improve the program, and release your improvements (and modified versions in general) to the public, so that the whole community benefits.
    Oh yeah, the four freedoms. But why clone ADOM? I mean, if ADOM is perfect, why change it? If not, why don't you make your own roguelike? If there are small things you want to improve, why not submit a feature request?
    Of course it's unfair - that's the whole point.

The Adom wiki: everything you don't want to know about Adom.
    http://ancardia.wikia.com/

You're advertising this as an "ADOM clone" - that's direct copyright violation right there, and it invalidates your GPL license.

More importantly, you really have no hope of getting anywhere with this. You're basically trying to reverse engineer ADOM, a complex game built up over many years. Why not work from an open-source roguelike such as... well, any of them. The *bands in particular encourage derivative works. It's easier to change one of them to be like ADOM than it is to do what you're doing.

On top of this no "roguelike creation engine" has ever worked. Ever. Extremely talented people have wasted years on such an impossible dream without ever coming close to producing useable code. Even if you got something off the ground I see no audience for what you desire to create. I advise you to make your own game instead of wasting your time on something futile like this. It would be more appreciated by others and something you could feel more proud of yourself.
    Platinum Edition ADOMer
    http://gamesofgrey.com - check out my roguelikes!

You're advertising this as an "ADOM clone" - that's direct copyright violation right there
    Or is it a trademark violation?

And if you want to clone ADOM you will eventually have to copy the story texts, for example.
    I do not plan to clone ADOM this far. Only as far as the gameplay plus a few others. For example, I have no desire to copy the manual. And I might decide to use colons to represent open doors instead of slashes, for another example. Similar things copying gameplays of stuff has been done before, such as Lockjaw (a Soviet Mind Game (Tetris) clone). I have no plan to sell ADoF, if somebody wants to sell it they could try to be a bit more careful about legal stuff if they want to, but it might not be necessary. And, if I finish ADoF before Thomas Biskup writes ADOM Deluxe (if either one of us will ever be finished), then Thomas Biskup could sell my program and call it ADOM Deluxe if they wanted to, because they hold the trademark for ADOM Deluxe!