Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drakeling Fighter Almost Win (SPOILER NOTE)

Default Drakeling Fighter Almost Win (SPOILER NOTE)

If you read this, maybe you can learn some hints for playing ADOM game so that you can win also!

I didn't post in other section because I didn't win or lose yet, but I reached D:50. I did many different things than the tactics and strategies most people seem to use. I played drakeling fighter and got staves and rocks and scurgari and unarmed all to Grand Mastery. I got the Healing skill and a few others. Music skill has been useful in this game, however it doesn't seem to work in the small cave. I also got various spells. And after experience level 13 I decided to play without using eating anything except for kobold corpse (including large, shaman), displacer beast corpse, fortune cookie, and corpses of unique creatures. I reached experience level 40 so far. I also found five amulets of life saving in the game (but, isn't it rare items?) and only used 1 so far, on the Cat Lord level.

Fire Temple: I just left all non-artifact equipment in the pack except for a leather armor of damnation (I had fire blanket). I didn't have the problems everyone says, about fire damage, dizzyness, etc. The dizzyness didn't cause enough damage to kill me. I survived without any healing at all, and even entered the tower while sick. I really can't tell why it is so much of a problem, it doesn't seem that to me!

Tactics: I could generally hit often enough even with coward tactics. I always used coward tactics when casting spells or zapping wands or running away. Berserk tactics are useful when fighting doppelganger kings, when throwing rocks (if in a safe place), or fighting the holder of the earth orb. I still have high DV even when berserk, so I still didn't get hit very often. The Tactics skill helps.

Air Temple: At first I didn't know that the left side destroyed items (I lost all my wands of destruction in that way), but then I figured out how to do it, put everything other than artifacts drop on right side of the level, and fight them using only spells.

Mana Temple: The traps do a lot of damage, but using a blessed wand of trap detection can allow you to detect them without activating them. When reaching the door, I couldn't get a straight line to the holder of mana orb at first, but after using spells and missiles and wands a bit, I managed to get in and fight them by melee instead.

Bugs: I have found several bugs in ADOM. There is a bug when walking toward mimics, you stop in the wrong place. Also, using the look command to look at the mana anomaly doesn't work.

Quote Originally Posted by zzo38 View Post
    If you read this, maybe you can learn some hints for playing ADOM game so that you can win also!

I played drakeling fighter and got staves and rocks and scurgari and unarmed all to Grand Mastery.

(...)

Fire Temple: I just left all non-artifact equipment in the pack except for a leather armor of damnation (I had fire blanket). I didn't have the problems everyone says, about fire damage, dizzyness, etc. The dizzyness didn't cause enough damage to kill me. I survived without any healing at all, and even entered the tower while sick. I really can't tell why it is so much of a problem, it doesn't seem that to me!
    It all sound a bit... unreal? I mean, to get 3 weapons to grandmastery you would need to spend months in the wilderness, and probably doomed. Fire temple damages drakelings if they don`t have at least 1 blessed item of regeneration, if they do damage dealt by fire equals Hp`s regenerated. And well, if you entered ToTEF at, let`s say level 30 or higher then it actually could be easy.

Quote Originally Posted by QuickDraw View Post
    It all sound a bit... unreal? I mean, to get 3 weapons to grandmastery you would need to spend months in the wilderness, and probably doomed.
    Especially when you are hitting things on coward tactics, except for doppel kings which you melee somehow(?). Then in your spare time, your drakeling does the TOEF while diseased and without healing. I guess I have a lot to learn about how to play.

Well, technically he wrote he used coward when spellcasting or running, but it still isn`t very convincing. Spellcasting fighter is not common too.

I can imagine that with lots upon lots of leveling and scumming for items to improve oneself, you can get this powerful and obtain Grand Mastery in four weapon classes at the same time. Considering this, the report has decent changes to be legit - there's not much of skill involved in grinding weapon marks like that though.

Spellcasting is also plausible - Fighters are not as horribly inept as Barbarians or Beastfighters would be. Give them lots of Learning and 100 Literacy and they can read most books, bookcasting and pumped Mana does the rest.
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.

How did you get those weapon skills trained (ie. where and when)? I imagine that if one goes on for hours and hours in some cavernous levels or big room, then most things become really easy. And that ToEF completion with sickness and no healing isn't that hard either, if one had these massive scumming sessions beforehand.

What level were you when entering the tower?

Oh and what day are you on now, and what turn?

What level were you when entering the tower?
    I don't remember. But it was higher than level 30, if I remember correctly. So I guess it isn't that hard.

Well, technically he wrote he used coward when spellcasting or running, but it still isn`t very convincing.
    Actually even in melee I usually use defensive or very defensive tactics.

I mean, to get 3 weapons to grandmastery you would need to spend months in the wilderness, and probably doomed.
    Yes, months in the wilderness and infinite dungeon, and doomed.

Oh and what day are you on now, and what turn?
    I don't know. The savefile is on a different computer than the one I am working on right now. Probably by Thursday I will tell you

Wow, entering the tower at level 30? I think you don't quite realise how to truly have fun in this game if you are scumming quite that much Most chars go to the Tower at around level 22 because they're too bored to hang around scumming for hours. At that level it's exciting and interesting, providing a major tactical challenge to all race/classe combinations. Except spellcasters of course, they get everything easy :P
    Platinum Edition ADOMer
    http://gamesofgrey.com - check out my roguelikes!

i had a similar success story before back in gamma 6. but that was also with the old charhak program that ran in old ADOM... having 298748 HP makes things kinda simple.
    To this day I have not once scummed in ADOM.
    Probably why I dont have a win.

I rarely get even one weapon skill to grand mastery, even when using the same weapon nearly all the game. Even my monks or beastfighters who fight the whole game unarmed usually have unarmed fighting skill at 13 or 14 only.