Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OCG - When to get crowned?

Default OCG - When to get crowned?

Well I got my Dark Elf fighter going for an OCG Dark Knight Style, all chaotic from the start, thou not just chaotic actions like a previously proposed challenge game. RoDS on a ring shop on D: 10 so khelly can be saved for the SoCR (don't worry, he will be gutted later while I kill the druid for kherab =P).

Planning on getting the scrolls from the library as well. This + the HMV scroll is a total of 12 SoCR. This is certainly enough, but then, when should I get crowned? As late as possible or is it safe to do it earlier? (PC has 7LB and it is only day 27, finished DT quests, going for Pyramid, tomb, graveyard and such).

Also, Minotaur's Axe shall be obtained, so, more time added in corrupting area.
    Wins:

Lvl 50 Dark Elf Mindcrafter.
    Lvl 50 High Elf Assassin (Dual weilding).
    Lvl 50 Dark Elf Paladin.
    Lvl 50 Gnomish Assassin (Failed ultra turned normal gate closer)
    Lvl 50 Hurthling Thief (ULE).

From what I heard, getting crowned does not increase susceptibility to corruption - being C- does. To my understanding corruption management for an OCG basically means that you try to remove as few corruptions as possible, since you have to be extremely corrupted for gate entry and want to make use of as many scrolls as possible after that.

So, you can basically get crowned at any point you wish. The one, two corruptions you'll have to take either way, and the artifact can be helpful, right?

That is of course only if my perception is true. My head is full of half-truths almost as much as accurate information, if not more.
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Silfir View Post
    From what I heard, getting crowned does not increase susceptibility to corruption - being C- does. To my understanding corruption management for an OCG basically means that you try to remove as few corruptions as possible, since you have to be extremely corrupted for gate entry and want to make use of as many scrolls as possible after that.

So, you can basically get crowned at any point you wish. The one, two corruptions you'll have to take either way, and the artifact can be helpful, right?

That is of course only if my perception is true. My head is full of half-truths almost as much as accurate information, if not more.
    The GB states that being a crowned champion of chaos will increase speed of further corruption. But perhabs this is due to being C- and if I keep at C after crowning this won't apply? I rarely play crowned chaotics so i wouldn't know.

EDIT: forget it... playing adom with a headache isn't good. Black altar + goblin in the room = AAAAAAAAAWWWW SHIT! =P
    Second one that dies to stupidness and had awesome luck. First one had AoLS in Waldy's shop and managed to get the animated forest mad at him =P
    Last edited by pblack; 10-02-2009 at 03:13 AM.
    Wins:

Lvl 50 Dark Elf Paladin.

Yeah, the Guidebook states this, it's just that I seem to recall it being wrong on that count.
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by pblack View Post
    The GB states that being a crowned champion of chaos will increase speed of further corruption. But perhabs this is due to being C- and if I keep at C after crowning this won't apply? I rarely play crowned chaotics so i wouldn't know.

EDIT: forget it... playing adom with a headache isn't good. Black altar + goblin in the room = AAAAAAAAAWWWW SHIT! =P
    Second one that dies to stupidness and had awesome luck. First one had AoLS in Waldy's shop and managed to get the animated forest mad at him =P
    Upon crowning you get ~2 corruptions iirc, dunno about the corruption rates as champion but on my latest game an OCG too I had severe problems with corruption. Mine was a druid and tbh the -10% corruption seemed like no help whatsoever. Some pointers:

Going with the emperors axe as a fighter leaves only BoW as desirable crowning gift, no reason to rush it imo

The trip to ID: 66 can be brutal corruption wise on an all melee character. Especially the way up carrying that lump of corruption inducer. I had tele + magic maps so no probs - but with fighter hehe...

I guess you're doing the black unicorn's quest so more corruption added there.

D:50 and final fight with emperors axe - whacking away like a mad man seems like a LOT of corruption, unless your character is a total pwnmachine.

.. and better luck next time

I normally put off crowning chaotic until quite late--I really hate crowning chaotic at all, actually, because almost invariably I get something like stiff muscles + mana battery. I agree like moomoo's suggestion: wait until after you've done the nasty dive to I:66. No need to corrupt yourself more.

I think there is an alignment requirement on being assigned the unicorn quest that is worth considering too.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

Quote Originally Posted by JellySlayer View Post
    I think there is an alignment requirement on being assigned the unicorn quest that is worth considering too.
    Hehe, yeah. I actually took the quest once - then slaughtered the whole town of terinyo. The white unicorn was not pleased Can't remember if it had an alignement requirement at all tho.. But at least hold the massacre untill the unicorn part is dealt with

Quote Originally Posted by moomoo View Post
    Hehe, yeah. I actually took the quest once - then slaughtered the whole town of terinyo. The white unicorn was not pleased Can't remember if it had an alignement requirement at all tho.. But at least hold the massacre untill the unicorn part is dealt with

The unicorn quest isn't possible with an all C PC i think. The last time i went to chat with the white unicorn as a C PC he was hostile and never talked about the corrupted glade. Maybe if I had calm monster...
    Wins:

Lvl 50 Dark Elf Paladin.

Quote Originally Posted by moomoo View Post
    D:50 and final fight with emperors axe - whacking away like a mad man seems like a LOT of corruption, unless your character is a total pwnmachine.
    i never got why you fight at d50 while going through gate.... Assuming controlled tp you really can spend under ten turns in where...
    So far rolled 15 casters with RoDS and shamelessly killed them within 200 turns. For eternium glory!
    (after 15 I stopped counting...)

Slaughtering D50 is fun For a melee-only char it may not be worth bothering with though.
    Platinum Edition ADOMer
    http://gamesofgrey.com - check out my roguelikes!