Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Wand of wishing

Default Wand of wishing

My candle-born drakish beastfighter (L21) found a wand of wishing with 5 charges somewhere between CoC graveyard and the Wall of Flames. I already used 2 charges for find weakness and archery and am wondering what else should I wish. I'm considering girdles of giant strength, rings of regeneration and fireproof blankets, as I'll have to go to the ToEF soon and only have 1 fp blanket. My fire resistance should be adequate as I have the elemental gauntlets and can choose between the robes of resistance and red dragon scale armor, but I'm a drakeling and some means of regeneration would be useful. Oh, I have an maulet of rapid healing and a crown of regeneration, but I guess they are vulnerable to the heat even though I have 2 rings of ice, thanks to a RoDS.

I received the boots of divine messenger as a crowning gift, so teleportitis would be nice, eatig displacers and pixies just doesn't seem to work. I have a spell book of teleportation, but my learning and literacy are too low to benefit from it. Perhaps I should wish for more literacy and the concentration skill?

Code:
    Humautus      St:26  Le:15  Wi:14  Dx:27  To:28  Ch:15  Ap:13  Ma:19  Pe:21 N=
    DV/PV: 54/34   H: 304(304)    P: 85(85)      Exp: 21/1038942    VDDL  Sp: 109
    Blessed Satiated Strained

Unarmed fighting        12   +10    +8   +6   Mastery              1355
    Bows                     5   +10    +7   +1   skilled              55
    Crossbows                4    +8    +6   +1   skilled              34

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                       Spells

Identify     :   125,  75pp     (Effectivity: +0)
       Slow Monster :    33,  11pp     (Effectivity: +0)
       Teleportation:    86,  25pp     (Effectivity: +0)

Skills

Alertness ................100    (superb)       [+2d4]
      Archery .................. 27    (mediocre)     [+3d3]
      Athletics ................ 94    (superb)       [+2d4]
      Backstabbing ............. 78    (great)        [+3d3]
      Climbing ................. 68    (good)         [+3d5]
      Courage .................. 63    (good)         [+2d4]
      Detect traps ............. 44    (fair)         [+4d4]
      Disarm traps ............. 17    (mediocre)     [+4d5]
      Dodge .................... 98    (superb)       [+2d4]
      Find weakness ............ 34    (fair)         [+4d4]
      First aid ................ 84    (great)        [+2d4]
      Food preservation ........100    (superb)       [+1d5]
      Haggling ................. 21    (mediocre)     [+3d3]
      Healing ..................100    (superb)       [+2d4]
      Herbalism ................100    (superb)       [+2d4]
      Listening ................100    (superb)       [+3d5]
      Literacy ................. 52    (good)         [+1d3]
      Music .................... 41    (fair)         [+2d4]
      Pick pockets ............. 67    (good)         [+1d3]
      Smithing ................. 26    (mediocre)     [+1d5]
      Stealth ..................100    (superb)       [+2d4]
      Survival ................. 43    (fair)         [+3d5]
      Swimming ................. 84    (great)        [+3d3]
      Tactics .................. 49    (fair)         [+1d3]
      Two weapon combat ........ 34    (fair)         [+1d3]

Regardless of the wishing you should try and get your willpower and learning up. Willpower can be done with plenty of morgia (I see you have 100 Herbalism). Learning can be knocked up 6 points by eating the oracle in the HMV (just avoid her death ray and undoom yourself afterwards). At the moment though you clearly have enough Teleportation for emergency situations and the ability to book-cast in any other. I'm surprised you were able to read so well as a beastfighter to be honest.

As for what to wish for, a girdle of giant strength can certainly be very useful, though obviously not so hot for the tower. Regeneration probably won't be too big an issue as long as you bring along some blessed extra healing potions, keep a close eye on your health and don't dawdle. You're better off spending a ring slot on ice and wearing the crown or amulet than wasting a wish on a regen ring anyway. Fireproof blankets is something you can wish for inside the tower if you suddenly need one (the wand itself is made of eternium so it's okay, and you're unlikely to lose much important in one round).

I'd say Concentration is a good choice - allows for a lot more spell use later on if you find more utility books. Definitely save a wish for SoCRs too, just in case. Otherwise... well, you're looking pretty strong as is. Potions of strength or toughness maybe?
    Platinum Edition ADOMer
    http://gamesofgrey.com - check out my roguelikes!

I always vote for keeping the wish
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.

Thanks Grey, for a quick and informative answer. It will be GoGS and Concentration, then, and save the last wish for emergency.

You shouldn't have much problems in the tower, with 2 rings of ice already I wouldn't spend wishes on stuff that's useful almost only there. Girdle of giant strength would be nice, and concentration if you feel like you need/want spells. Rest you could just save for bigger needs, SoCR or wand of destruction might come handy. Or maybe just speed before a tough fight, I consider that better than stat potions unless you need xp.

Am I the only one who always wishes for Seven League Boots (pairs of)?

Quote Originally Posted by Dawky View Post
    Am I the only one who always wishes for Seven League Boots (pairs of)?
    I sometimes do that, but this time I already had them.

Quote Originally Posted by Sintaluva View Post
    I sometimes do that, but this time I already had them.

That explains a lot.

I prefer Rings of Weakness to Girdles of Giant strength. The latter are of a weak material and are easily destroyed; the former can be exploited to infinitum with enough time, and can get you the 12 strength from the girdle intrinsically without too much trouble.

Concentration isn't a bad choice, if you want to exploit your spellcasting abilities, but you probably need more learning AND literacy before you'll be able to do much casting.

I wouldn't wish for anything for the tower. With two rings of ice and a blessed blanket, plus the regeneration gear you already have, you shouldn't have any problems. I'd prefer to save a wish (or two) for emergency situations (SoCR, new seven league boots if others get destroyed).

Beastfighters can only really hope to become bookcasters. Regular spellcasting is pretty much beyond them even with Concentration.
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.