Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Wand of wishing

If you still have this thing (and I am amazed you found one with 5 charges), and as you're a beastfighter, you might consider eternium type equipment that beastfighters can use, like gloves or bracers (as I assume you're fighting unarmed and unarmored?)

Anyway, "sometimes" a helm of water breathing is a boon if you want to go for an ultra ending and don't have rings of the fish (which always seem to be cursed when found - verify?)

Rings of Ice are wonderful to have for the ToEF. Sometimes wishing for potions of gain attribute is a second good choice, as you may receive up to three (always if possible, wish on your birthday while blessed)

Also once I wished for Eternium Tower Shields and got three. I kept them for when I was needing to set tactics to "coward" and I equipped both, so I could book it (also wearing seven league boots :P ).

Quote Originally Posted by Xen Xander View Post
    Anyway, "sometimes" a helm of water breathing is a boon if you want to go for an ultra ending and don't have rings of the fish (which always seem to be cursed when found - verify?)
    Rings of the fish always curse when you put them on. However a single potion of holy water (whcih you might use to take it off anyway) would make it as effective as a helm of water breathing. Besides, why does he need this to do an ultra?

Sometimes wishing for potions of gain attribute is a second good choice, as you may receive up to three (always if possible, wish on your birthday while blessed)
    You only ever receive one potion of gain attribute from a wish. Individual attribute potions come in 2-4. In fact all items either come in just 1 (such as GoGS, PoGA or whip of the snake) or you get 2d2.

Also once I wished for Eternium Tower Shields and got three. I kept them for when I was needing to set tactics to "coward" and I equipped both, so I could book it (also wearing seven league boots :P ).
    He's a beastfighter. Beastfighters don't use shields.
    Platinum Edition ADOMer
    http://gamesofgrey.com - check out my roguelikes!

Sorry for the potion mix up, I was speaking from memory and it's possible I had two already and when wished for, I thought it was three in the wish.

True he doesn't need the shields I just gave it as an option if he ever has to coward out.

Maybe wishing for Tactics is a good bet - that can't go wrong if you're fighting berserk a lot. And courage. If you don't tend to do the quests to give you these two skills, They both may be worth a wish, as combined at both 100 gives some very nice benefits, especially to beastfighters.

How about the Boots of the Divine Messenger? those aren't bad at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Xen Xander View Post
    How about the Boots of the Divine Messenger? those aren't bad at all.
    Well, firstly you can't wish for them, since they're an artifact. Secondly, he already has them :P
    Platinum Edition ADOMer
    http://gamesofgrey.com - check out my roguelikes!

I had never tried to wish for those boots, nor any artifact so I hadn't known wishing for them was out of the question but now that you mentioned it, I read Andy William's guide once and now I remember him stating that (by the way, his guide page seems to be down ).

I'll still stand by "Courage" and "Tactic" though, unless outright you wish to just wish for scrolls of peace or cure corruption (both are extremely useful, especially when blessed) for any character.

As a joke you could wish for Anvils - why? Well if you're really buff you can wield one as a weapon *smirks* just like statues (can you wish for statues?), but beastfighters rarely equip weapons so that was just an off comment... but also, you can throw an anvil (or any large object like a 1000s rock) at a door and if it smashes, the trap (if the door is trapped) will not spring. (though sometimes you'll loose the anvil in the process (never made sense to me how a huge chunk of iron can be ripped to shreds being thrown through a door but oh well).

(by the way, his guide page seems to be down).
    The guidebook can now be found here.
    Necrophilia isn't *that* bad!
    --Kyle Cope, a gentleman and a scholar.

No need to waste a wish on skills easily obtainable in-game..

Wishing for an anvil is stupid because two NPCs in the game have one if you need it that badly, not because an anvil is useless. Five poisoned humanoid slaying missiles will take down the dwarven artificer. Even Beastfighters can benefit a lot from smithing their armor.
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.

Things I remember wishing for:
    -amulet of life saving
    -scrolls of chaos resistance
    -pairs of seven league boots
    -concentration
    -potions of youth
    -wands of destruction
    -potion of uselessness (was rewarded with the black tome...)
    -speed

That's pretty close to the list I'd end up making, actually. Add Find Weakness, and it's close as I can remember.

I've even done the potions of youth thing. I hate ending the game with scars and unnatural aging, so I always keep my gelee royal and I try to get potions of youth to get rid of the latter.
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.