Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: About the TOEF

Default About the TOEF

My current char is again an orcish barbarian who was lucky to be born under the raven sign.
    Why lucky ? Because he found a helmet of water breathing at level 14 and then gained the rune covered trident at level 16

The problem : he didn't find a single fireproof blanket or ring of ice.

I tried scuming the Id to find one of those but no luck so far.

I don't have a lot of time as the corruption time has begun.

I think I'm going to try the tower without blankets or rings but I need to know something :

Should I keep a minimal inventory or should I pack it with as much junk as possible ?

If I load it with the minimum, I will lose few things but I will need a mean of diging for the top floor of the tower, preferably a wand.
    If I pack it I count on chance to destroy the thing I do not need...

First of all once you are beyond day 90 corruption doubles
    And stays that way for the rest of the game.
    So there is no reason to hurry after day 90

TOEF without Blankets and and rings is of course possible. I'd vote for the min equipment route: All blankets you have (plain and waterproof have to burn through first too before your equipment gets damaged) and besides that only what you really really need.

Edit to add: Oh and for the wand: just have faith in the gods, my son

It is frustrating how random things are sometimes. My current character had 7 fireproof blankets and 3 rings of ice by the time it went through the tower ~ level 22 ish. Sometimes you don't find any. Anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by magellan View Post
    TOEF without Blankets and and rings is of course possible. I'd vote for the min equipment route: All blankets you have (plain and waterproof have to burn through first too before your equipment gets damaged) and besides that only what you really really need.
    I'd leave everything valuable somewhere safe, including waterproof blankets as they are quite useless in ToEF and you will need them later. Wear as many artifacts as possible, and I think that higher grade metals are fireproof, but I may be wrong.

Take as much cursed and otherwise useless crap with you as possible. Chances are that they will burn before you lose anything useful.

I say take *only* fireproof items. Bloat yourself beforehand and find the stairs quickly. Once you've explored up to the top level and know which way you're going to enter then leave, grab essential items (wand of digging, maybe wand of teleport) and return heading straight to the top and digging a passage before your wand melts (you usually have enough time). Rely on water orb or prayers for healing or satiation if needed. If you have a ring of invis wear it under your elemental gauntlets and it'll make the tower much easier.
    Platinum Edition ADOMer
    http://gamesofgrey.com - check out my roguelikes!

It's done, I choose to do it with the minimal way :
    - first scouted with nothing in my invetory except the things I picked up in the tower
    - then came back with two wands of digging, one survived to the top floor
    - gained access to the ancient chaos wyrm
    - backed him in a corner
    - hacked him to death : rune covered trident is a good weapon !

In the course of the tower run I prayed twice for healing, never descended under statiated, lost my two wands of digging and a few items I picked up.

Easier that what I feared, now I will die stupidly in the next hours

Quote Originally Posted by UnknownSoldier View Post
    Easier that what I feared, now I will die stupidly in the next hours
    Don't we all!

Quote Originally Posted by UnknownSoldier View Post

I tried scuming the Id to find one of those but no luck so far.
    Pardon me for asking, but what is the point in scumming the ID?

I was trying to find one of :
    - rinf of ice
    - fireproof blanket
    - wish

Also it doesn't hurt the basic supplies :
    - ? of identify
    - ! of water
    - ? of uncursing
    - ! of booze
    - etc...

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by RndmNumGenerator View Post
    Pardon me for asking, but what is the point in scumming the ID?
    Scumming generally refers to repeating any tedious action for the sake of empowering your character somehow. So, scumming the ID would be spending a lot of time idly traversing the ID (such as by stepping up and down a staircase) in order to generate items, usually specific ones that you're looking for like those that UnknownSoldier mentioned.