Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: weapon "to hit","criticals" and "shield modifiers"

Default weapon "to hit","criticals" and "shield modifiers"

Let's say daggers would have a minimal "to hit" modifier but when you hit a monster it would have a higher chance scoring a critical than a sword..
    for e.g. if you slith a throat.. that hurts a lot,
    but when you slash an arm, it isn't as severe

And it would be cool if you could aim at different body parts.. and loose body parts if your not careful..

Sorry if these ideas are already mentioned..

edit:
    forget about teh "shield modifiers"

EDIT: this was actually shit, but I tought more about it and started a new thread..
    Last edited by ragface; 03-26-2009 at 11:22 AM.

Are you, perchance, a Dwarf Fortress player?
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Silfir View Post
    Are you, perchance, a Dwarf Fortress player?
    No, are these "properties" available there? is it a rogulike?
    ADOM is the only computer game I play
    if I play something else its usually old sega megadrive rpgs..

This already existed in Diablo. Even simple nonmagical weapons had certain properties unique to them. All spears could be generated with a chance to pierce armour, thrown daggers and daggers could be spawned with a speed bonus, thrown axes would get a knockback feature, A maul would have a chance to score a crushing blow, polearms would leave open wounds, crossbows had a piercing attack (just about same as adom's archer's final class skill) and so on.

I think that I suggested it already in an earlier topic, before I even found out it exists in Diablo.

I play an MMO where my character changed classes, from a knight class to a spy class. I found out that my whip deals more damage than I could deal with twin oversized battleaxes swung at once as a knight. And not with a lash, but with a strangle attack. (the attack worked against undead, constructs, even literally regular mosquitoes.) I asked for an explanation, and I was told that being strangled by a whip can be quite painful. I said "If I swing those axes, my enemy wont have a neck!" They told me that I'm unrealistic.
    Swords can lethally slit necks too, not just daggers. Let's not go too far with the ideas, please.
    But yes, JADE is nice to dream of...
    Last edited by Elone; 03-19-2009 at 12:20 PM. Reason: Bah, I didnt say all I wanted.
    ▼ All their fault. ▼

Dwarf Fortress has a very detailed damage system in which all body parts and major organs can be injured or severed, and targeted in the roguelike part of the game. The programmer's currently working on a new version which simulates the body even more closely, with tissues, hair and whatever.

Battle in Dwarf Fortress is a very, very bloody affair.
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.

DF is an RL.

Dwarf Fortress has Fortress Mode, Adventure Mode and Legends. Only Adventure Mode is what I'd call a roguelike. Fortress Mode is more of a mixture of Dungeon Keeper, The Sims, The Settlers and Theme Hospital.

DF has an insane learning curve. So much so that they have a motto to the effect of "dying in DF is fun".
    Last edited by sgeos; 03-20-2009 at 12:40 AM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by Elone View Post
    This already existed in Diablo. Even simple nonmagical weapons had certain properties unique to them. All spears could be generated with a chance to pierce armour, thrown daggers and daggers could be spawned with a speed bonus, thrown axes would get a knockback feature, A maul would have a chance to score a crushing blow, polearms would leave open wounds, crossbows had a piercing attack (just about same as adom's archer's final class skill) and so on.

I think that I suggested it already in an earlier topic, before I even found out it exists in Diablo.

I play an MMO where my character changed classes, from a knight class to a spy class. I found out that my whip deals more damage than I could deal with twin oversized battleaxes swung at once as a knight. And not with a lash, but with a strangle attack. (the attack worked against undead, constructs, even literally regular mosquitoes.) I asked for an explanation, and I was told that being strangled by a whip can be quite painful. I said "If I swing those axes, my enemy wont have a neck!" They told me that I'm unrealistic.
    Swords can lethally slit necks too, not just daggers. Let's not go too far with the ideas, please.
    But yes, JADE is nice to dream of...
    Yes swords can slit necks too, its not as agile as with daggers but thats not the point..
    the point was because daggers are very "short ranged" weapons, it would be much more difficult to hit with them but when you hit you would have a higher chance scoring a critical than say a mace(cause you don't slit throats with maces), and that doesn't mean you cant score critical with maces and that you always score critical with daggers. Just for e.g. that there's an 10% chance to score critical with daggers on grand mastery, and a 5% chance with maces on grand mastery..

Sorry if my first post was unclear, english is not my native language as you can probably tell..

Quote Originally Posted by ragface View Post
    Yes swords can slit necks too, its not as agile as with daggers but thats not the point..
    the point was because daggers are very "short ranged" weapons, it would be much more difficult to hit with them but when you hit you would have a higher chance scoring a critical than say a mace(cause you don't slit throats with maces), and that doesn't mean you cant score critical with maces and that you always score critical with daggers. Just for e.g. that there's an 10% chance to score critical with daggers on grand mastery, and a 5% chance with maces on grand mastery..

Sorry if my first post was unclear, english is not my native language as you can probably tell..
    edit: and maces could have a small chance stunning people