Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paladin guide?

Default Paladin guide?

Is there any, if so, does someone have a link? . Thanks in advance.

If not, maybe some general thoughts for paladin?

Like, which alignment to go for, N or L?
    Weapon choice is prolly 1h + shield (only 2h considered when finding arti).

Any other specialities for paladins? .

Starting race will be DE, cause they rock tbh for paladin.
    Last edited by speciesxx; 10-01-2009 at 09:31 AM.

> some general thoughts for paladin

The holy symbol might be a bit of a burden to
    'u'se, meaning it takes a lot of game turns,
    but it will refill your piety to a respectable
    extent. It can keep at least two prayers on
    hand at all times, at least up until you've
    prayed a bunch of times (8?).
    "Whip me!" pleads the adom player. The rng replies... "No."

L has some advantages over N in that L+ reduces corruption and handling L altars is less risky than handling N ones. Disadvantages include that Yergius is unavailable while L - but your DE paladin is going to be N for a while anyways, so make use of that.

Enable druid quest for great justice.
    Last edited by Silfir; 10-01-2009 at 01:18 PM.
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.

So most ideal i would get some early PP done, and gold so i can buy the skills i need.
    Then kill plotzenhotz and get that amulet of order to drag me to L. Hardest will be to get to L+ i bet for a crowning, but thats off later concern. If i fail i can always stick to N= .

Gonna try one now, as my last bard went poof to a Lich at level 35+. Not in the mood for another bard, need something new .

Getting to L+ with an amulet of order is trivial if you do it early enough (as in, not at forties, and being born in Tree stops the effect at level 27 or something).
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.

>Yergius is unavailable while N

I caught Silfir making a typo. Award me.
    "Whip me!" pleads the adom player. The rng replies... "No."

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Quote Originally Posted by speciesxx View Post
    Is there any, if so, does someone have a link? . Thanks in advance.

If not, maybe some general thoughts for paladin?

Like, which alignment to go for, N or L?
    Weapon choice is prolly 1h + shield (only 2h considered when finding arti).

Any other specialities for paladins? .

Starting race will be DE, cause they rock tbh for paladin.
    My thoughts on paladins:

Alignment doesn't matter that much, except that chaotic paladins are terrible--paladins get a massive DV bonus against anti-aligned creatures once they hit level 18 (25? I don't remember), but given that there are only a few lawful mobs that are even remotely dangerous by that point, you're basically throwing away 20+ DV for no reason.

A lot of your class powers won't work unless you have decent standing with your diety. Try to get your piety up a bit with holy symbol or altars.

Paladins get 2.5x as many spellbooks as most PCs (not wizards/priests, but most others), plus concentration and literacy--they are casters. Early on, your Le might be a little low to use many spells, but even if you can just read a book of Darkness or Cure Light Wounds (bookcast this one regularly to train Mana), that can be a lifesaver. Later on, you'll be able to take advantage of teleportation, bolt/ball spells, etc.

One-handed weapons are always my recommendation for basically every class unless you get an absolutely incredible two-handed weapon. Paladins, however, have an awesome crowning gift--Justifier--that is a one-handed sword. It is a slaying weapon, has decent stats, and deals double its base damage while wielded by a paladin--it's unlikely that any weapon you will find will be better than this. If you're lucky enough to get this, you're pretty much set for the rest of the game.

Dark elf paladins are a bit weak in the early game, as are, well, pretty much all dark elves, but if you can survive until you can start pumping your stats with herbs, they will rock the midgame. Be sure to take advantage of your casting abilities in this case--dark elves usually have decent learning and great mana. If you want more of an early-game tank, try a dwarf. They generally start with around 10 PV, and, with some luck, can start at 15-20. This basically makes them invulnerable to almost all early-game monsters.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

Quote Originally Posted by JellySlayer View Post
    Paladins get 2.5x as many spellbooks as most PCs (not wizards/priests, but most others)
    Is this an estimation from experience, or is it backed by data?

If there is data about the relative probabilities of finding spellbooks for each class in the game, I would like to see it, I have always wondered about that.

Due to low learning I took a while to start using spells with my DE Paladin. But then I had protector =P

If not going for ultra, get crowned early, Justifier has double chance of being generated, if not, purifier is awesome enough and the plate mail is good enough for indestructible PV.
    Wins:

Lvl 50 Dark Elf Mindcrafter.
    Lvl 50 High Elf Assassin (Dual weilding).
    Lvl 50 Dark Elf Paladin.
    Lvl 50 Gnomish Assassin (Failed ultra turned normal gate closer)
    Lvl 50 Hurthling Thief (ULE).