Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Scummy tactics: which ones would you remove/solve from Adom/Jade? How?

I wouldnt think that'd be too hard, dwarf fortress has that feature and dwarf fortress seems a lot more complex than jade will be. Goes back to the whole persistant world where a previous characters actions can be noticed by new characters made in that world.
    To this day I have not once scummed in ADOM.
    Probably why I dont have a win.

I was thinking of Dwarf Fortress when I said it, yeah. Dwarf Fortress already does a couple of things JADE is trying to achieve, I think; I haven't tried Adventure mode there yet.
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.

I am always crap at remembering my dreams, so the details are pretty vague, but I thought I would share this anyway. It was weird.

My dream last night:

I am in some sort of stone building. I become aware of the fact its actually some sort of simulation, not a real building. At some point I get into a discussion with the simulators creator. I can't believe the level of realism. The creator explains its a new version. He invites me outside to look around. We go outside, it looks like Causewayside, a street I used to live in in Edinburgh. We get into a big black car. I realise the creator of the simulation is Tarn Adams. We have a weird discussion about the limits of the simulation, during which I realise that I am actually Silfir. The car drives around the place which looks like Edinburgh, whilst I, Silfir, chat with Toady about whats going on around us.

WTF???

I'll say! How did you know you were me? Just... how?!
    Last edited by Silfir; 03-25-2010 at 05:13 PM.
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.

TL;DR but to answer the original post, JADE will not be ADOM. What makes you THINK that you'll be able to create a gremlin bomb in JADE, that makes you hurry to "fix it before it breaks the game"? What makes you think that god interaction will be through the piety points, and not some sort of item/favour method? Why arent you more realistic? Your topic is more suitable in the "Release of ADOM source" section, because you're obviously talking about ADOM here, and not JADE, because JADE doesnt have even concepts as gremlin bombing, and the original post clearly shows what he'd do with the ADOM (not JADE) if there were just means to edit it, meaning the source code. Bah, now I remembered why I never read JADE section anymore. I'll stay away til I next forget.
    ▼ All their fault. ▼

Quote Originally Posted by Elone View Post
    TL;DR ... Bah...
    There are indeed a lot of posts on the JADE forum talking about JADE as if its more like ADOM 2.0 rather than JADE 0.1. Clearly JADE will have ADOM influences, what with being made by the same guy and all, but none of the posts which assume JADE will have the same game mechanics make much sense. Still, in the absense of an alpha JADE release, all we can do is speculate based on what we know, i.e. ADOM, and at least that speculation can theoretically remind the Creator that we are still here, out there, hoping for JADE, as attentive an audience as ever....

Quote Originally Posted by Silfir
    Just... how?!
    What can I say, it was weird. Day before, I was pondering in the back of mind whether one of the guys making a Dwarfputer over on the Bay12 forums could make a working Conway's Game of Life sim in DF, then I read this thread just before going to bed, and its pretty much your fault alone that I got into DF, and in the dream eventually Toady was addressing me as Silf, and it made sense at the time .

Oh yeah, the Dwarfputer! That thing is epic. I take it we're both pretty anxious for the new version right now?

Reasonably anxious yes

My current fort is a rather military build - I have just over 100 dorfs (including the queen, stupid early adamantium), about 75 of which are military. I shall keep building up the military, then, once the new version is out, have some HFS related fun.

Anyway, to try and drag this back on topic - I suspect the size and more open ended nature of the JADE world will make a certain level of grinding possible, but I don't care.

ADOM and JADE are single player games, so people should be able to scum as much as they want, if thats what makes them happy. Despite several ring of weakness related deaths, the highest I ever got even one stat in ADOM was probably with a Wi 70ish wizard. I keep on telling myself to do a proper scummy game, wish for or otherwise obtain a RoW, and !oExchange my way to 99 in all stats, but I have never done so, as more anemic PCs are fun. One day though.

I think only piety overflow should be eliminated. From everything else, you do gain the benefits, but it is really tiresome to exploit them; it's not like you are in multiplayer, so balance is a non-issue. Just look at uberjackal problem - that's what happens if you try to fix "scumming"!

Rather, there should be easier methods to gain similar benefits without that much hassle - i.e. there should be more (guaranteed) shops, and they must restock instantly after you buy them out;

Disagreement :
    -If there's more shops which restock immediatly, what's the point of killing monsters?
    -Scumming is mostly fine, those who give themselves the pain to scum, well, too bad for them if it bugs. The boringness usually destroys the interest of rewards.
    Haven't won with : Druid, Priest, Elementalist, Weaponsmith, Ranger, Merchants, farmers, Necromancer,Thief
    Currently trying : Entertaining girlfriend. Very, Very, VERY hard.

Just a silly online game