Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gosh Darn Rivers.... *grumble*

Default Gosh Darn Rivers.... *grumble*

I hate rivers. I really do. Nothing brings a grinding halt to character that's chugging along like a river and a non swimming character.

My current char, a dwarven archer, was just zipping along. I save Yggris for healing, and found an alter on level 7 of the VD. Spent a little bit of time saccing, and earned myself Serpent's Bite (woot!)

I was feeling pretty good, so decided to hit the PC next, and although the puppy would be dead, at least I could get the L boost and clear out the vault down there for some goodies.

A river on level 5 of the PC cut that dream short rather quickly. Sure I could cut down trees in the wilderness for ever and get myself reasonable bridge building... but the fun level of that is equivalent to eating glass.

No matter, it's not necessary, and I can always come back later.

So, off to the CoC. Everything's going great, and i clean out a trade for a bunch of cooked liz so no more food worries. Then, on level 4 of the CoC.... RIVER!!!

Great... so now I'm basically forced to scum until I find enough potions of CJ or a wand of ice, or I'm forced to spend an eternity cutting down trees in the wilderness. Oh joy...

Anyway, more a rant than anything else, but I think that rivers are the LEAST fun obstacle in ADOM, and I would not be sad to see them gone.

/rant
    -----------------

"Work is the Scourge of the Drinking Class" ~ Oscar Wilde
    Wins: Relga the 36th Level Drakish Monk

Quote Originally Posted by PMJ View Post
    I hate rivers. I really do. Nothing brings a grinding halt to character that's chugging along like a river and a non swimming character.

My current char, a dwarven archer, was just zipping along. I save Yggris for healing, and found an alter on level 7 of the VD. Spent a little bit of time saccing, and earned myself Serpent's Bite (woot!)

I was feeling pretty good, so decided to hit the PC next, and although the puppy would be dead, at least I could get the L boost and clear out the vault down there for some goodies.

A river on level 5 of the PC cut that dream short rather quickly. Sure I could cut down trees in the wilderness for ever and get myself reasonable bridge building... but the fun level of that is equivalent to eating glass.

No matter, it's not necessary, and I can always come back later.

So, off to the CoC. Everything's going great, and i clean out a trade for a bunch of cooked liz so no more food worries. Then, on level 4 of the CoC.... RIVER!!!

Great... so now I'm basically forced to scum until I find enough potions of CJ or a wand of ice, or I'm forced to spend an eternity cutting down trees in the wilderness. Oh joy...

Anyway, more a rant than anything else, but I think that rivers are the LEAST fun obstacle in ADOM, and I would not be sad to see them gone.

/rant
    How wide is the river? If it is 4 squares or so wide, you should be able to just ford across even without swimming. If you've got carrot juice, you can also get the skill.

Horizontal rivers are the only ones that are really problematic... sometimes you need to swim 10 squares to get to the stairs. Vertical ones are usually safe enough... at worst you might need to use a prayer before you drown.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

It is only a vertical river, 4 wide. Without swimming, I've had a couple of chars die trying to do this width. I guess I could pray to get across, but I still find it annoying that that is my only recourse. Further, on the way up to the arena (or for any other reason) it means I'll have to pray all over again.

Also should mention that I've got no WP blanket, so it means rusting and loss of scrolls...

I still maintain that rivers are the embodiment of unfuness...
    -----------------

"Work is the Scourge of the Drinking Class" ~ Oscar Wilde
    Wins: Relga the 36th Level Drakish Monk

I would rather be rid of rivers than uberjackles, ingot
    crashes, and the darkness/door square bug all put
    together.
    "Whip me!" pleads the adom player. The rng replies... "No."

Quote Originally Posted by PMJ View Post
    I still maintain that rivers are the embodiment of unfuness...
    Indeed. Rivaled only by (perhaps) the rarity of finding the Raider Lord.

Right now I'm playing a level 15 non-swimming character who hasn't found any carrot juice yet. I'm using up all my available teleportation to get around the two rivers in between Dwarftown and the surface. So, yeah, at the moment I don't like rivers very much either.
    Your armor weakens, oh my!

Rivers should be narrower near surface levels, making them less risky to cross. Wider ones should be in deeper areas. Makes sense, as all water has slowly gone to the bottom.
    You hit Andor Drakon, the ElDeR cHaOs GoD, and severely wound him.
    The greater balor summons some help!
    The ratling duelist disarms you. You drop your blessed Trident of the Red Rooster (+36, 6d12+18) [+12, +12]. It flies to the west.
    Andor Drakon, the ElDeR cHaOs GoD, picks up the blessed Trident of the Red Rooster (+36, 6d12+18) [+12, +12].
    Andor Drakon, the ElDeR cHaOs GoD, wields the blessed Trident of the Red Rooster (+36, 6d12+18) [+12, +12].

Quote Originally Posted by Laukku View Post
    Rivers should be narrower near surface levels, making them less risky to cross. Wider ones should be in deeper areas. Makes sense, as all water has slowly gone to the bottom.
    I can get behind in-game river danger being linked to danger level, but I just can't let your final sentence pass me by... are the mightiest rivers on our world mainly underground? Does water flow deep into mountains or off of and out of them?

Your sense, it makes no sense to me :-)

Quote Originally Posted by vogonpoet View Post
    I can get behind in-game river danger being linked to danger level, but I just can't let your final sentence pass me by... are the mightiest rivers on our world mainly underground? Does water flow deep into mountains or off of and out of them?
    Seeing how swampy the surface world is, water is to be expected in caverns. And yes, the deeper you go, the more water you should expect, assuming there are vertical shafts and cracks through which it can descend.

Natural caves in moderate climes are created by water and their deepest reaches are often totally filled with water. Artificial caves, e.g. mines, can have a hell of a time moving all the water out - a typical problem of the german mining district around the Ruhr, where T.Biskup's at home.

Carrot juice isn't exactly rare. You can find one easily enough hopping around the very top of the ID, and all you need is one - just bless it first! (alternatively, 2 uncursed is fine, but give them both at once!) Also, don't be burdened (or worse) while crossing - this hampers your ability to swim.