Thread: Well, this game went to crap quick...

Default Well, this game went to crap quick...

Was attempting my second ultra - Drakeling Monk - and have found some really nice equipment. 3 - I'll say that again - THREE - weapons of Devastation, plus two different armor-bypassing weapons. Saved Khelvaster, nice set of equipment including a few useful spell books. (Including Farsight which is one of my favorite ways of training Mana)

All this is at an absurdly early stage in the game. So I take the last dwarven quest - slay the Greater Demon. (Like I said - still early.) Read a scroll of Monster Detection then teleport over just in time to see the Green One kill the Demented Ratling. So much for my ultra.

Then to top it off, as I'm filling the Demon full of arrows to sate my anger, one of the stupid dwarves steps in my line of fire. Now the whole town is hostile. No more selling stuff to Waldenbrook, no more training with Garth - I didn't even collect from the Dwarven Mystic. And something tells me they aren't going to grace me with Big Punch, though that's not much of a loss with the Demented Ratling gone.

Obviously, I can still salvage a standard gate-closing out of this. I did at least get the portal opened before things blew up, so I still plan to collect the Orbs and win. I was already crowned Neutral, and I teleported out rather than killing a bunch of dwarves and losing my crowning. But it's just frustrating to have things go from so good to so poopy so quickly.
    You hear the cries of the crowd: "Freebird!! Freebird!! Freebird!!"

You play some tunes on your lute.

I had the greater demon kill the ratling for me once. Since then, I always make sure to use :s to pull the ratling off the level before allowing the demon to rampage.
    The door suddenly falls in your direction! You are not nimble enough to evade the door. Your anvil is crunched!

http://kandrewsmith.blogspot.com

> I was already crowned Neutral

Before talking to the ratling? No ultra for you then anyway.

three devastation weapons and two armor-bypassers? This is just payback. One small piece of it.
    ADOM General's warning: Treasure Hunting causes slowness, frailty, terrible markmanship and is dangerous to your characters' health

Quote Originally Posted by Molach View Post
    > I was already crowned Neutral

Before talking to the ratling? No ultra for you then anyway.
    Now that you mention it, I think I went and got crowned after I pissed off Dwarftown. I went crying to my god and he gave me the Boots of the Divine Messenger, patted my little head, and said, "There, there. Maybe these will make you feel better." And I said, "A little."

Quote Originally Posted by Molach View Post
    three devastation weapons and two armor-bypassers? This is just payback. One small piece of it.
    I think the first bit of payback was spending a lot of time scumming Stoma and then getting pre-crowned with Long Sting. But, yeah, I'm sure the RNG has been eating lots of Taco Bell and bran muffins in preparation for seriously pooping on me later.

I have gotten through ToEF with little difficulty. Didn't have a ring of Ice, so I took in my second-best devastation weapon, wore mostly artifact armor, and pretty much walked through it. No Frost Bolt books yet, only 1 wand of cold, not a lot of booze, but plenty of herbs for healing the drakeling heat damage. Took a critical on the top floor that dropped me into single-digit HP, but a blessed Ultra Healing potion got me back into fighting shape. Cold-wand blasted my way through most of the mob, wands of poison and acid for the ACW, then leave.

ToEF sure is interesting for drakelings. Any other race, I'll usually pretty much clear the tower - great source of XP. Drakelings can't really do that - the constant heat damage discourages hanging around more than necessary and the insane speed blunts most of the XP gains anyway.
    You hear the cries of the crowd: "Freebird!! Freebird!! Freebird!!"

You play some tunes on your lute.

Another option is to feed the ratling an artifact or two before accepting the demon quest - this makes it more powerful and thus more able to take a hit or two.