Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: food fight

Default food fight

Even though I've been playing ADOM for a while, I still do some stupid things.

On Friday the thirteenth I started a dwarven paladin. In the druid dungeon I immediately got a surge of power, and I didn't think I was ready to take on an artifact guardian so I left and went to the ID.

Soon I ran into a blink dog. Might as well get teleport control early in the game, I figured. This blinkie was neutral and didn't show any interest in summoning any friends, so I decided to take a swing at it and get the process started. And because I didn't want to accidentally kill it, I did something that's worked plenty of times before: wielding a non-weapon. I put away my battle axe and wielded a loaf of hurthling bread. In the past, though, I only did this kind of thing after I'd had a chance to use a blessed scroll of identify on all my stuff. This time I didn't know that the hurthling bread was cursed.

Yep, I had a hostile mob attacking me and I had a loaf of bread stuck to my hand. I switched my shield for my axe, but the to-hit penalties were pretty serious. (I'm glad hurthling bread isn't a two-handed weapon!) And in the heat of the moment, I forgot that I could pray to get my equipment uncursed. By the time I remembered that, I'd used up both my prayers to heal from the critical hits I was getting. I barely managed to finish off all the blink dogs. And then I had to try and solve the problem of my inappropriate weapon.

I kept reading every scroll as soon as I found it, hoping for uncursing or maybe even item destruction. None of them were. I dipped the loaf in a watery potion, hoping it was holy water. Nope, the bread remained stuck. I deliberately triggered a couple of door traps that I hoped would help me, but they only destroyed other possessions of mine. I ran into a ratling fencer and then later a swordsman, and let each one of them hack away at me while I waited to get disarmed. Neither of them had the sense to try and knock the bread out of my grasp. I didn't find any eyes of destruction, and I didn't think I should dive deeper to look for annihilators. I finally set out for the Caverns of Chaos and the only guaranteed coaligned altar, prepared to sacrifice whatever I had to... but I perished on D:3 to a bunch of pit vipers, with the hurthling bread still clutched tightly in my right hand.

The whole experience was actually the most fun I've had playing ADOM in quite a while. It was like a challenge game, even though it wasn't meant to be one. It was just me being foolish, and having to take the consequences.
    Your armor weakens, oh my!

Could have gotten your diety to dust it for you.
    "Whip me!" pleads the adom player. The rng replies... "No."

Even though I've been playing ADOM for a while, I still do some stupid things.
    It never stops!

On Friday the thirteenth I started a dwarven paladin. In the druid dungeon I immediately got a surge of power, and I didn't think I was ready to take on an artifact guardian so I left and went to the ID.
    That was pretty foolish too. Dwarven paladins are pretty buff and a DD:1 artifact guardian can't be worth much. Did you check which artifact it would've been?
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Silfir View Post
    That was pretty foolish too. Dwarven paladins are pretty buff and a DD:1 artifact guardian can't be worth much. Did you check which artifact it would've been?
    Plus, on many occasions it's possible to get the guardian off the artifact, get the artifact and use it against the guardian. If it's something good, then your chances of beating the guardian grow very high.

Hmm, "food berserker" is maybe a nice idea for a challenge Fight and throw only with food, no spellcasting or anything of the sort allowed. See yourself with a dwarven bread (hard) as weapon, a large ration for shield and a heap of stomachemptia herbs as missile weapon
    Pity of your death though. Doesn't it help to trigger door traps with only the bread equipped, or is it possible at all to destroy some bread with doortraps?

*The master swordsman tries to disarm you, but you foil his plan due to your skill with the hurthling bread!*

That looks SOOOOO ADOI'ish... Hitting monsters with a large ration.

*You hit the zombie with the large ration. You et a feeling that you shouldn't eat the ration anymore*
    Haven't won with : Druid, Priest, Elementalist, Weaponsmith, Ranger, Merchants, farmers, Necromancer,Thief
    Currently trying : Entertaining girlfriend. Very, Very, VERY hard.

Just a silly online game

What artifact was it?
    Vanquisher...
    FOOD FIGHT!
    I THROW THE KARMIC LIZARD CORPSE WITH GLOVES ON! YOU FEEL BAD!
    The RNG is the source of chaos and corruption.
    "You talk to molest, the female dwarven child. Molest, the female dwarven child, grunts: "Me wanna sugar, please?"

Quote Originally Posted by flibble View Post
    And because I didn't want to accidentally kill it, I did something that's worked plenty of times before: wielding a non-weapon. I put away my battle axe and wielded a loaf of hurthling bread. In the past, though, I only did this kind of thing after I'd had a chance to use a blessed scroll of identify on all my stuff. This time I didn't know that the hurthling bread was cursed.

For future reference, the best way I've found to do this is to wield a gold piece. Never cursed, and lousy damage.
    The door suddenly falls in your direction! You are not nimble enough to evade the door. Your anvil is crunched!

http://kandrewsmith.blogspot.com

Non-standard weapons can never be disarmed. Ocasionally you'll have something that can still dish out damage you can use as a non-standard weapon to not get disarmed, say a statue.

Quote Originally Posted by Silfir View Post
    Dwarven paladins are pretty buff and a DD:1 artifact guardian can't be worth much. Did you check which artifact it would've been?
    Soaker. It would have been better than my starting battle axe, but not by a lot. And a previous character, an orcish ranger, got wiped out by a DD:3 artifact-guarding harpy that I expected to be a pushover, so this time around I didn't want to get near whatever it turned out to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Moeba View Post
    Doesn't it help to trigger doortraps with only the bread equipped, or is it possible at all to destroy some bread with doortraps?
    I don't know if it's possible. I had only the bread equipped, and the first trap didn't destroy anything, while the second one destroyed stuff in my pack but still not the bread.
    Last edited by flibble; 11-16-2009 at 12:01 PM.
    Your armor weakens, oh my!