Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please help! Adom emergency!

Default Please help! Adom emergency!

I finally have a very good character going, a grey elven weapon smith, and have spent many hours develping him.
    Suddenly the power cut out :O and now i cannot restore the character
    When i start adom its telling me to delete the save file.
    Is there any way of getting him back?

*forlornly plays Taps*

Quote Originally Posted by lamanor View Post
    Is there any way of getting him back?
    Unfortunately the answer, to my knowledge, is no. He's lost. Forever.

I shall weep for you.....
    When in darkness, you can always see the light (unless you're in ADOM)

Most successful combos for me: Grey elf wizards, trollish healers, dark elf beast-fighters, Gnomey monks, and any race barbarians.

This is why I recommend playing on the server.

Playing on the server can be unbearably laggy, but if works for you, do go for it.

If you're in an area susceptible to power outages and own a laptop, look into playing using the laptop, possibly? The lack of numpad on most laptops can be a bummer, but that'd at least keep your characters safe.

WAIT A MINUTE. ADOM should not tell you to delete a save file. Corrupted save files don't load properly, but they don't impede on the game itself. By any chance, did the game tell you to delete a file called "adom.prc"? If so, delete that one first, then try to reload - it's not a save file, just a temporary file the game creates so no two copies of the game can run simultaneously. The file is usually automatically deleted when the program is closed, but not if it crashes.
    Last edited by Silfir; 12-12-2009 at 12:06 PM.
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Silfir View Post
    WAIT A MINUTE. ADOM should not tell you to delete a save file. Corrupted save files don't load properly, but they don't impede on the game itself. By any chance, did the game tell you to delete a file called "adom.prc"? If so, delete that one first, then try to reload - it's not a save file, just a temporary file the game creates so no two copies of the game can run simultaneously. The file is usually automatically deleted when the program is closed, but not if it crashes.
    Usually no svg remains once you've fired up ADOM (or once you've loaded the save). I do remember hoping that what you just said was right, though...

Thanks guys. i deleted the prc file but no luck, the character was gone. oh well, time to start another.

If you're getting power cuts often remember to backup the save (.svg). It doesn't count as savescumming if it's an emergency backup to use in case of crash only.

And if your character is about to die when you just happen to accidentally unplug your computer, you're allowed to go back to that save.
    Your armor weakens, oh my!