Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415 LastLast

Thread: global warming is a hoax

they're in canada and venez-something-or-other...
    "Whip me!" pleads the adom player. The rng replies... "No."

The Canadian oil sands are the cause of the most recent domestic terrorist attacks on Canadian soil.
    I said it before, and I'll say it again. If I knew scripture like you, I'd prolly be an athiest too.. -gut

/l、
    (゚、 。 7  
     l、 ~ヽ   
     じしf_, )ノ

Quote Originally Posted by fazisi View Post
    The Canadian oil sands are the cause of the most recent domestic terrorist attacks on Canadian soil.
    Pretty sure the most recent terrorist attacks in Canada were related to the Olympics. See: RBC firebombing in Ottawa. Although honestly, I'd hardly count anything on Canadian soil since Air India as a "terrorist attack" or, at least, a successful terrorist attack.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

> The Canadian oil sands are the cause of the most recent domestic terrorist attacks on Canadian soil.

The Canadian oil sands are also the cause of the US's current economical troubles.
    The Canadian oil sands are also the cause of the flu season.
    The Canadian oil sands are also the cause of inner-city gang activity.
    etc...

That is a good point, I didn't know that the reserves expected from tar sands are this large. Oil extraction from tar sands is not a pretty sight if you like trees or living things in general, but let's stick to one subject at a time.

Environmental issues aside, I'm unsure tar sands can really prevent the economical crisis that peak oil theory predicts. Extracting oil from tar sands yields low net energy: you need to invest a lot of energy in the process, compared to the amount of energy you gain. This raises the next question: is it really viable to scale up the current production from these sources massively, as would be required when conventional production starts to decline seriously? Some experts think not. But others are more optimistic. Time will tell, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by gut View Post
    The Canadian oil sands are also ...
    Not to mention that they kill my brimstone man attempts.
    Last edited by grobblewobble; 10-28-2010 at 10:46 AM.
    You steal a scroll labelled HITME. The orc hits you.

Well what do you expect to happen when you walk into a burning tower caked in oil sand?

Pro-tip: Do not coat yourself in extremely flammable substances when entering flame-filled structures. Unless you're wearing RDSM, of course.
    Platinum Edition ADOMer
    http://gamesofgrey.com - check out my roguelikes!

> Extracting oil from tar sands yields low net energy:
    > is it really viable to scale up the current production from these sources

Once upon a time, coal was just coal. Methane was the deadly bi-product gas that
    results from coal being mined and mixed with air/water/otherstuffs. It was a hurdle
    that had to be jumped in order to mine the valuable coal. Coal seams that were
    close to underground water sources were especially 'hot', and therefore weren't
    even considered sources of coal, as they would ~always~ be too deadly and
    therefore expensive to mine.

Things are different now. Thanks to recent technologies, the methane is now more
    valuable than the coal. Methane burns cleaner, has a higher (as you mention) net
    energy, and in some ways is less expensive to mine (more like capture) than the
    actual coal. These days, many new coal mines are actually being constructed, not
    for the purpose of mining coal, but to intentionally create 'hot' mines to produce
    as much methane as possible.

The reason I gush at length over this is because I fully expect a similar thing to
    happen with 'oil sand'. The mining technology is currently underdeveloped because
    nobody has a reason to develope it yet. Mostly, energy companies are the ones who
    will develope the tech, and why should they right now? They would actually be
    working against themselves, as their research would undermine the assets they
    currently hold...

digging an old thread with a heaty discussion, because I stumbled opon this article You might be interested in:

http://cleantechnica.com/2011/10/31/...ate-war-worse/

Heh, nice article. I completely agree with the main point, which is that google is not objective.

But the same problem applies to the whole topic of global warming, because there's always politics involved (nowadays, in Europe at least). In any case, everyone arguing about it argues either in order to stop the measures against global warming, or in order to motivate more measures against global warming. Of course there is some exact science about global warming, but most of what is said about global warming is as vague as social sciences to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Moeba View Post
    Heh, nice article. I completely agree with the main point, which is that google is not objective.
    There is no objectivity. There's the truth and the loons. Which is which depends on your side of the debate
    Platinum Edition ADOMer
    http://gamesofgrey.com - check out my roguelikes!