Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: global warming is a hoax

Wow, I'm impressed. It turns out that ADOM players can have an argument over something not called Treasure hunter.

There's a lot in this thread that I'd like to respond to, but for now just a few remarks. I will drop my sarcasm now, I'm not that good at this thing called humour anyway.

Polar bears get a lot of attention from environmental organisations in relation to global warming, but I'm afraid this is spreading the false impression that it is mainly a problem of those animals. It is not. Polar bears are hit relatively hard and early in comparison to human beings, but the long-term problem is far broader and larger in scale than a local threat to wildlife. Sea level rise is going to be a problem for many nations, while an increased frequency / probability of extreme weather events (or extended droughts) are theatening food and freshwater supplies. It is a problem that has been created in the geological blink of an eye, but will most likely last for centuries upon centuries. If in the next centuries we would be reckless enough to extract and burn every source of fossil fuel that can be found, not just oil and gas but also all coal, all oil in tar sands and oil shales, we may even be risking a runaway greenhouse effect like on Venus (according to NASA scientist Jim Hansen this is even a `dead certainty`). I know this is a bit hard to believe, since that would be a disaster even worse than the sensational crap in some movies. But yeah, this has a scientific basis and may actually happen.

In a first reply to Gut, I like how you are open about your personal economical dependency on coal and yeah, of course it is not realistic or desirable to advocate a complete ban on fossil fuels, at least not in the next decades. Our lives currently depend on consumption of fossil fuels. We?re addicted. But opening our eyes and recognizing that this addiction has at least potential negative consequenses is the first step toward finding a cure.
    You steal a scroll labelled HITME. The orc hits you.

Yup. basicly, once you reach a certain quantity of greenhouse effect, the effect gets so hi that the water evaporation is enough to release carbon dioxide. vicious circle. which ends when there's no more water => venus.
    Haven't won with : Druid, Priest, Elementalist, Weaponsmith, Ranger, Merchants, farmers, Necromancer,Thief
    Currently trying : Entertaining girlfriend. Very, Very, VERY hard.

Just a silly online game

Quote Originally Posted by Dudley View Post
    Yup. basicly, once you reach a certain quantity of greenhouse effect, the effect gets so hi that the water evaporation is enough to release carbon dioxide. vicious circle. which ends when there's no more water => venus.
    Well, that's taking things to extremes a little. As has been said, the earth has been warmer in its past, and I don't think man-made global warming will cause so terrible a cycle as to result in a Venus-like Earth. The problem is more just that it's going to make the planet rather uncomfortable for us and many other mammals.

I love the conspiracy theories about global warming scientists - as if they get paid tremendous amounts to make bullshit up. True, that does happen with politicians (and Fox News executives), but scientists are peer-reviewed, need a wealth of evidence to back up claims, and on the most part don't get paid a great deal. I think they'd be more trusted though if annoying hippies weren't on the same side...
    Platinum Edition ADOMer
    http://gamesofgrey.com - check out my roguelikes!

^^<3 annoying hippies.
    Alternatively, we could also end up with a frozen earth. at least, northen hemisphere. know the gut stream? (sorry, the gulf stream?) without it you can coold down all america an europe. to≈ canadas temperature. with all cataclysm caused by that.
    Haven't won with : Druid, Priest, Elementalist, Weaponsmith, Ranger, Merchants, farmers, Necromancer,Thief

Just a silly online game

Also note that venus was like earthe before, it simply heated up due to the sun emitting more energy.

Just a silly online game

I think that theory (well, more conjecture) has been shown to be rather baseless. The gulf stream is very unlikely to be affected by even large amounts of arctic ice drift.

From what I seen from experts one of the most worrying things is the effect on plankton, and the resultant impact on global ecosystems. We've already had a severe number of extinctions in the last century, and it looks like that's set to increase exponentially in the next, with climate change being one of the main contributors. Of course you could say survival of the fittest, but it would be a rather dull earth with just us and our pets and farm animals, with a few species kept preserved in zoos.
    Platinum Edition ADOMer
    http://gamesofgrey.com - check out my roguelikes!

hey. note that we could feed on plankton. i think if it dies we're ALL screwed. more or less. more than less.

Conjecture seems reasonable enough to me. climate is EXTREMELY fragile a thing.

Just a silly online game

> I think they'd be more trusted though if annoying hippies
    > weren't on the same side...

I think they would be more trusted if they would stop saying
    whatever they are paid to say.

> need a wealth of evidence to back up claims

You wanna a link to the 'wealth of evidence' that says tobacco
    (nicotine) isn't addictive? No need to question it, it was
    discovered by ~scientists~. It has to be true.

> but scientists are peer-reviewed,

The peers will also say what they are paid to say. Count on it.

> number of extinctions in the last century,
    > with climate change being one of the main contributors.

I blame population increase, and developement, not Co2.

> climate is EXTREMELY fragile a thing.

Not in my eyes. The ice age was brought about by too many cars?
    "Whip me!" pleads the adom player. The rng replies... "No."

> > with climate change being one of the main contributors.
    >
    > I blame population increase, and developement, not Co2.

That's crazy talk gut. It is clearly the emissions from the
    bulldozers that are killing all the frogs, not the bulldozing
    of the swamps to put up a super mall.

As for global warming, being a Canadian, I say BRING IT ON!
    We need more beaches up here anyways.
    I said it before, and I'll say it again. If I knew scripture like you, I'd prolly be an athiest too.. -gut

/l、
    (゚、 。 7  
     l、 ~ヽ   
     じしf_, )ノ

gut dude, honestly, should no one get paid for anything? You really think all science is bunk? Just climate science? All environmental science? Even stuff which leads to concrete developments in engineering? Going back how far?

We have some lovely canals here in Serbia which as a scientist, I believe to have been badly polluted by man, and which we are trying to clean up, but anyone who doubts the sincerity of the people I work with (ha ha, cos we get these massive kick backs from all over the place, especially those incredibly powerful global sludge treatment plant cartels) is welcome to come swim in them, bathe their children there, drink freely of the waters, etc. I will warn you though, that in my apparently worthless professional opinion, it might be dangerous to your health.

The reason I don't normally get involved in the climate change debates is because they just serve to completely bypass debate about other environmental issues which are also important.