Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Probably a noob question

Default Probably a noob question

Is it really possible to beat the game without reloading the save game file?
    I mean seriously how do you do that?

carefully.

no, seriously. very carefully. I asked the same question when I first started doing this. One important thing to realize is that the more save scumming you do, the worse of a player you will be. This is because a constant threat of dying will FORCE you to play better, if not simply because your characters keep dying. It, actually, is a lot of fun if you can get past some of the boring things like precrowning and ID stairhop, etc.

It's even possible to beat the game without saving at all, though that's a little more advanced...

Winning is very hard, because any mistake at any time can potentially kill you, and not being prepared for everything will also get you killed. When starting out some classes are easier to avoid death with long enough to learn the ropes of the game more. Personally I think dwarven paladins are the best thing to start with.

And as tipo says, playing without restoring saves forces you to play more carefully and think more clearly - abandoning save-copying will make you a better player in the long run (though it's still a very handy thing to learn the game).
    Platinum Edition ADOMer
    http://gamesofgrey.com - check out my roguelikes!

lot of people have done it.... i havent yet but i plan to.

Possbile, but not easy. Personally if I play for too long I begin making mistakes. And these kill in ADOM.

Wow, I really cannot imagine that.
    That is pretty damn hardcore.

I think the highest I got was Level 14 without reloading... but I really doubt that it is possible to beat the game without reloading. There are some situations, in which you die without alternative. (And I am sure, some of you will now say: Just plan ahead and don't in these kinds of situations...)

I really would prefer some kind of save point, it can be after some really good achievement. I don't know ADOM that well, precrowing and ID stairhop says nothing to me.

You really down to your heart don't reload the save game file?

You just have to get used to it. When I started playing I always save-scummed. And never beat the game that way. I could have beaten it, of course, but it was sooooooo boring, and I wasn't really learning anything. Then I stopped reloading save games, and kept learning many things. Now I've beaten the game many times, even got some ultras.

Reloading saves is fine for learning and such. If you want to learn the game and have real fun, don't reload

>You really down to your heart don't reload the save game file?

Nope, not anymore, but I did when I started. A good
    proof of this is to look at some of our comunity
    challenge games. Some of us (well, mainly Grey) will
    talk a bunch of smack about how good they are before
    a challenge starts, then die embarrasingly in bandit town.
    You KNOW they don't want to report a death like that,
    but they (almost?) always do. Our group success rate
    is probably under 10%, and we have some real aces
    on these boards. I highly suspect Grey of save scumming,
    but I'm just too polite to mention it.
    "Whip me!" pleads the adom player. The rng replies... "No."

For new players I roughly recommend:
    1) Playing a bunch of random characters and some sturdy characters like Trolls, Dwarven Pallys, etc. Die a few dozen times, but learn the basics. Definitely do not go through questions to get your stats.
    2) With the basics down, save scum a lot with a few different characters and learn more about later parts of the game.
    3) Stop save-scumming forever when you defeat the guardian of the Tower of Eternal Flames. Delete that character and start playing for real.

The game can be unfair, but in general it's your fault when you die, especially once you're past the earliest parts of the game. Take survivability-boosting talents like Long Stride, or possibly the PV talents. Don't go quickly through any dangerous situation; think over your options. There is often some way out (wand? getting another monsters in between you and the nasty one? running away on coward? etc.) that you might not see if you go too quickly. If you want a more polished and fairer rogue-like, give Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup a try (it does lack some of the complexity and charm of ADOM, though!)

i actually never saved scummed. Honest. Y? because i couldn't get acces to the save files. And when i knew how to, i'de already won the game.
    Haven't won with : Druid, Priest, Elementalist, Weaponsmith, Ranger, Merchants, farmers, Necromancer,Thief
    Currently trying : Entertaining girlfriend. Very, Very, VERY hard.

Just a silly online game