Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: Smoke weed everyday

Seems Romania and Serbia share a few drinking habits

Is palinca like pelinkovac? Strange fruity red bitter herbaceous stuff it takes a while to get used to?

Quote Originally Posted by vogonpoet View Post
    Seems Romania and Serbia share a few drinking habits

Is palinca like pelinkovac? Strange fruity red bitter herbaceous stuff it takes a while to get used to?
    Both drinking habits and the political situation, highly-partisan and irresponsible (read the posts in the global warming thread as well), it seems .

Palinca/tuica is made from either prunes or pears, usually prunes, and it's immensely strong alcohol. It's just alcohol made from those fruits distilled over and over again for something like 2 (usually) or 3 (hardcore). It tends to be white when it's made or it can sometimes be light yellow. Weird and fruity yeah, not really bitter or herbaceous, but it does take you quite a while to get used to it. 80-degrees tuica really warms you up, even in the most frightening winters

On a funny note, I recently discovered how you can turn perfectly un-coloured palinca/tuica into the light yellow colour. Apparently you take a plum branch, peal the bark off it and let it oxidize, then you put it into the bottle and in a few days it becomes light yellow I get the feeling palinka is just the ethnic-Hungarian, plum-only version of tzuika (tuica).

Here's a lot of info about the drinks on wikipedia, it seems mostly accurate: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tzuica and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palinka

When I was growing up in America, we never spoke of alcohol's degrees, just its "proof." I *believe* there were two proof for every percentage point of alcohol by weight, but it's probably more complicated than that.

BTW I laugh a little every time I see the title of this thread: "Smoke weed every day!" ("Or else!") I'm like, "but what if I don't wanna?!"