Thread: Weird Tome experimenting

Threaded View

Default Weird Tome experimenting

Ok, I'm putting up this thread to establish what has and has not been done with weird tome and to solicit ideas.
    First, the basics: You require high Le and Wi to get any kind of message from the tome (~60). You must be a Bard.
    You then get this message:
    After a while you manage to focus your sight on the text. The text contains a strange collection of tunes, songs and instrumental pieces. It seems some kind of code, hinting at some ancient powerful magic, a scroll or something like that...
    You fail to decipher it.

Seems like some kind of check was not met.

What I've done
    -Reached level 50. Insufficient.
    -There is a fortune cookie message telling trolls to drink from pools. I am a troll bard and drank from the stone circle pool (it has a poorly understood message stating that 'you are altered in an eerie way' when drinking it). No change.
    -I obtained every skill at full mastery. All of them. This did not work. I also have great learner and great book learner talents. That's right, I planned this meticulously. My character is a weird tome reading MACHINE. I am the Moriarty of tedious make-work.
    -Obtain and read crumpled scroll, the precursor of the ToTRR. Not it. It did wax poetic about having been misunderstood and mythologized.
    -Asked Thundrarr about it. He claims not to have anything to tell me about it. He also claims not to know where my car keys are, but the odometer reading changed. J'ACCUSE, THUNDRARR!
    -Read the Tome of Alsophocus and the Confucius book. I didn't really think it would matter, but I did it anyway and it doesn't.

Things I plan to do / am curious about / want feedback on

-I want to find one of the rooms with uniform stones that look like shelves of books and try reading it there. I am currently methodically searching all of the dungeons. I'm down to just the CoC left, around L30... super tedious, I don't want to have to scum the ID for a stupid room. But I will, because I want to know.
    -I saved the crown of science. I'm going to try reading the book with it on.
    -The enlarged cranium corruption. I don't have it yet. I have an abundance of SoCR and practically no corruption. I may or may not push through and obtain it to try to use in conjunction with the room of uniform books and the crown of science.

Has anyone been crazy enough to try reading it on the ChAoS plane?
    Giving it to the demented ratling?
    Tried giving the crumpled scroll to the demented ratling while crowned C-\Talking to the demented ratling while chaotic after reading the weird tome and drinking from the stone circle pool as a troll? (I'm not doing this one. I'm crowned L+)
    Reading it 50 times?
    Giving the crumpled scroll to the mad minstrel?
    Anything else excessive? Please weigh in, even if it was a dead end. It prevents me from pursuing the dead ends myself.
    Last edited by Sad Death Generator; 06-09-2014 at 03:38 AM.