It's been almost 10 years since the first time a friend told me about ADOM and I tried it for the first time. Naturally, I sucked, and soon lost interest. Since that time, every year or two on a sudden hunch I dig it out again, try it a few times (or a few dozen, or hundred...) and then lose interest again. I wouldn't consider myself a newbie anymore, I've read the guidebook and a lot of other stuff, my best character was a GE Wizard lvl 32 that got down to CoC Level 40 before being killed on a kind of freak hit by a monster I didn't really expect it from (yeah, maybe I got a little careless after sailing smoothly through level after level...), and now I'm back again at square one after losing a couple dozen more characters the last days.

But this time, I won't give up again! I see so many victory posts here, I've come so far, I just know there has to be a way for me to beat this game! I don't even aim for challenges or Ultra endings (my deepest respect for those who do, though, you guys are really hardcore...), everything I want is to be able to finally say "I did it!"

So is there anything you'd recommend? Pretty much every character I ever got far with were elven wizards, but the lack of hit points always got back at me somewhere along the way. Should I aim for something different? I usually start out in the first levels of the ID, fighting low level monsters and hoping for nice spellbooks while trying to get Treasure Hunter ASAP, because more loot means more books, and for a wizard more books mean more power. Are there better ways to go at this? What would you recommend someone like me, hoping the finally beat the game?