Give each class meaningful abilities as they level up, I'm not saying smith needs +2 dv/pv, quite the opposite, it should scale with armour level and be unique (yes, removing random +2pv from everywhere else except artifacts is part of it), having bards being able to tame monsters that are useful on D48, yes having necros being able to summon mini-skelly army on D48, yes having white necromancy having similar thing when your mist elf survived that long and not become just a fireball caster, thief/assassin should be practically invisible without invisibility and able to avoid any unwanted confrontation (or start it with huge backstab bonus, instead of current random 'do they see me, do they not, who cares, we'll have to melee them with 100% sneaking and stealthy anyways')... Each class starts with extremely different play style/bonuses, ends up funneled into 2 by late mid game, I don't think this is good, more powerful class bonuses and harder time getting a bard/merchant into a generic slasher would be more interesting to play, if you want a warrior playthorugh just choose a warrior and you got it