I've been playing ADOM for many years. I've been playing the new NotEye ADOM for a few years and decided to step up and pay for the game on Steam. However, I am experiencing something I've never experienced in ADOM and do not know how to fully articulate it. The movement is strange. I've just been shrugging it off, but I've now lost too many promising games to the behavior I am encountering. There are now new ways to play ADOM and am not sure if I am inadvertently pressing keys, leading me to my failures or not.

There have been numerous situations were I think I am taking one turn — either movement or an attempt to attack a monster — and I end up consuming multiple turns. This has led to harmless movements, often in weird patterns as if I am inebriated. Or to characters deaths, where I make one move to attack and end up "dancing around the monster" while it attacks me and kills me. I am not stunned nor confused in-game. I am aware of the the new auto explore option, but am fairly certain I am not pressing the key necessary. I do not use the mouse. Maybe my mouse is moving on me? I have never encountered this in my 20-something years of playing ADOM. What am I doing wrong?

One thing I have noticed is how it lags. I play Skyrim Special Edition, and other games, at its highest settings with no issues, and yet ADOM (a seemingly (?) more simple game) frequently lags and the screen flickers. This may be unrelated.

Also, I've noticed where I am attacked by a monster, I make a move away from them and then die without them getting another attack on me (and I was never bleeding). This may be unrelated, but is a quite odd movement issue that may be related . . . ?