I hate rivers. I really do. Nothing brings a grinding halt to character that's chugging along like a river and a non swimming character.

My current char, a dwarven archer, was just zipping along. I save Yggris for healing, and found an alter on level 7 of the VD. Spent a little bit of time saccing, and earned myself Serpent's Bite (woot!)

I was feeling pretty good, so decided to hit the PC next, and although the puppy would be dead, at least I could get the L boost and clear out the vault down there for some goodies.

A river on level 5 of the PC cut that dream short rather quickly. Sure I could cut down trees in the wilderness for ever and get myself reasonable bridge building... but the fun level of that is equivalent to eating glass.

No matter, it's not necessary, and I can always come back later.

So, off to the CoC. Everything's going great, and i clean out a trade for a bunch of cooked liz so no more food worries. Then, on level 4 of the CoC.... RIVER!!!

Great... so now I'm basically forced to scum until I find enough potions of CJ or a wand of ice, or I'm forced to spend an eternity cutting down trees in the wilderness. Oh joy...

Anyway, more a rant than anything else, but I think that rivers are the LEAST fun obstacle in ADOM, and I would not be sad to see them gone.

/rant