Even though I've been playing ADOM for a while, I still do some stupid things.

On Friday the thirteenth I started a dwarven paladin. In the druid dungeon I immediately got a surge of power, and I didn't think I was ready to take on an artifact guardian so I left and went to the ID.

Soon I ran into a blink dog. Might as well get teleport control early in the game, I figured. This blinkie was neutral and didn't show any interest in summoning any friends, so I decided to take a swing at it and get the process started. And because I didn't want to accidentally kill it, I did something that's worked plenty of times before: wielding a non-weapon. I put away my battle axe and wielded a loaf of hurthling bread. In the past, though, I only did this kind of thing after I'd had a chance to use a blessed scroll of identify on all my stuff. This time I didn't know that the hurthling bread was cursed.

Yep, I had a hostile mob attacking me and I had a loaf of bread stuck to my hand. I switched my shield for my axe, but the to-hit penalties were pretty serious. (I'm glad hurthling bread isn't a two-handed weapon!) And in the heat of the moment, I forgot that I could pray to get my equipment uncursed. By the time I remembered that, I'd used up both my prayers to heal from the critical hits I was getting. I barely managed to finish off all the blink dogs. And then I had to try and solve the problem of my inappropriate weapon.

I kept reading every scroll as soon as I found it, hoping for uncursing or maybe even item destruction. None of them were. I dipped the loaf in a watery potion, hoping it was holy water. Nope, the bread remained stuck. I deliberately triggered a couple of door traps that I hoped would help me, but they only destroyed other possessions of mine. I ran into a ratling fencer and then later a swordsman, and let each one of them hack away at me while I waited to get disarmed. Neither of them had the sense to try and knock the bread out of my grasp. I didn't find any eyes of destruction, and I didn't think I should dive deeper to look for annihilators. I finally set out for the Caverns of Chaos and the only guaranteed coaligned altar, prepared to sacrifice whatever I had to... but I perished on D:3 to a bunch of pit vipers, with the hurthling bread still clutched tightly in my right hand.

The whole experience was actually the most fun I've had playing ADOM in quite a while. It was like a challenge game, even though it wasn't meant to be one. It was just me being foolish, and having to take the consequences.