I have an Orcish Healer named Gug. He was about to drink from the pools in Darkforge to get a wish to save Khelly. I decided to save the game before doing this, because I hate pools. I copied the save elsewhere, of course. I reloaded, drank from the pool, and he immediately died of old age; silly orcs! I copied the old save, and sought a wish via gremlin bombing. I got an RoDS pretty quickly, and wished for an AoLS to save Khelly. He gave his typical awesome items, and then i got the dialogue "You hear a whispering voice in your head... (more)" or something like that. I pressed space, and IT CRASHED!

It was quite a disturbing thing indeed. Luckily, he is not entirely lost, due to the savescumming done earlier. He did, however, lose quite a few nifty things, such as a Spellbook of Strength of Atlas (and as a healer to boot; a once in a lifetime grab!)

I have had this happen only once before, and it was when my dog as a farmer attempted to attack itself in a blind rage. It had saved before crashing that time, though.