Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Playing through entire game without personally killing anything or changing pets ...

Quote Originally Posted by Carter View Post
    you need alot of luck to do that in 138k turns.

Depends what class also. If you pick a class like Wizard the game is *supposed* to be easy
    Gnomish Merchant, Resurrection Day. Never got deep with a Merchant before - didn't realize the degree of discount! Specifically, it makes shop scumming feasible. Buy out an entire potion shop, come back a few days later and see what's new.

Quote Originally Posted by Mobius View Post
    Gnomish Merchant, Resurrection Day. Never got deep with a Merchant before - didn't realize the degree of discount! Specifically, it makes shop scumming feasible. Buy out an entire potion shop, come back a few days later and see what's new.
    I've often wondered what the mechanics behind stocking are. It almost seems like there is a see-saw effect between spending time on level and off level. I once came to a shop I hadn't visited in ages, fully stocked, I emptied it 3 times in a row with ... I didn't count, but I would guess <100 turns inbetween each restock. Other times I can be waiting for what feels like forever.

Of course this could be just a coincidence/placebo and it's totally random.

I am fairly certain there needs to be some time off the level, maybe even just one turn off. The same effect holds true for monster generation, if you've ever spent a long time live saccing (also see jelly slayer's RFE regarding slow monster generation when trying to clear the SMC without moving levels)

Quote Originally Posted by AlterAsc View Post
    In 1.1.1 I killed Andy with 22 St (that got drained to 14) Assassin with 160 speed without any paralyzation or any slaying ammo. Just whacked him with TotRR and that's it.
    I also killed him mindcrafter (he was a bit stronger though). Same strategy. And mindcrafters are not a melee combat masters in any way.

Thieves with stuns on melee criticals are special case of annoyance and not a indication of Andor strength.
    if you are saying without paralyzation resistance then frankly i don't believe you.
    Wins:
    Gnome Assassin / Dwarven Paladin (ULE) / Ratling Duelist (UNE) / High Elf Archer / Gnomish Wizard x ~5 / Gray Elven Wizard (UCG) - Archmage / Gnomish Weaponsmith / Grey Elf Elementalist / Dwarven Priest / Trollish Barbarian / Drakling Farmer / Mist Elf Wizard / Human Beastfighter / Ratling Archer (UNE) / Gnomish Mindcrafter

Classes Left
    Many!

Quote Originally Posted by Mobius View Post
    Merchant is one of the main classes I play, and I think people often underestimate the potential of a merchant with natural trader and sliver tongue. Even if you don't stand around to scum, clearing out shops every time you pass by can be a good source of useful items. And when you came back that way they usually are restocked with new stuff. But you are right about scumming potion, scrolls, and wands shops. I have messed around with it in the past, and you can really gear your toon up for just about anything.
    AKA: Jbc
    1st win no spoiler & no cheating version 1.1.1
    Favorite Race Class Combo: Darkling Farmer

if you are saying without paralyzation resistance then frankly i don't believe you.
    Paralyzation is paralyzation. Like from wand of paralyzation.
    In 1.1.1 Andy could be paralyzed, turning easy fight into joke of a fight.
    Last edited by AlterAsc; 10-08-2015 at 04:42 AM.

My 2 cents....

Please remember that this particular challenge was won a long long time ago. Back in that day all sort of scummy techniques were possible that are no longer an option now... i.e. You could rise your toughness to 99 points simply by roaming wilderness around dwarven graveyard in search for undead corpses as there was no cap to stat increase. This involved very little risk (provided that player paid attention to monster experience increasing after a few hundred of kills) and the corruption timer switched only once so time spent in the wilderness was irrelevant... etc.

In essence what I am trying to say is that IMO nowadays repeating this game would be somewhat more difficult. I am guessing that in order to win this challenge the person who played had to resort to all sorts of scummy tactics and most of them are gone. (I am not judging. I am simply stating that extreme challenge games require extreme tactics. Kudos for the player he managed to pull that off.)

BTW.
    If you do start to play one piece of advice from me. In my very early games of ADOM long long time ago (when I used to save scum) I discovered familiar summoning and thought that was a way to go. I generated a greater fire elemental. After a little while it gained so much power it was simply unstoppable. It was chewing through toughest enemies like they were rats. The problem was that it had a random tendency of turning against my character. I do not remember how frequent it was but it sometimes happened for no apparent reason. This usually ended in a one turn kill for my character (upon which I save scummed to resurrect it). Vast amounts of gold given to it from time to time seemed to prevent this behavior. I am not sure if this mechanic is still on, since it was some 15 years when I last played around with pets extensively. Yet this is definitely something to watch out for if you decide to play like this.
    Last edited by Kordianus; 10-12-2015 at 10:30 AM.

Pets do not turn against bards. So bards are the way to go for this challenge. Probably Heir-gifted grey elven bards.
    Freedom through action!

Talking about pets...what's about pets and poison?
    I've started a new game with this fate-rolled GE bard, starting pet a lovely fairy dragon that has been my main weapon for all the early game, it was extr. experienced by the time we were in CoC, it seems that nothing could have stop Alduin, my favorite dragon-pet....it was on my side on water temple, I ordered to kill the big snake and the snake was killed in two hits, all was going ok until I noticed that he was poisoned by the single bite he took from the snake...he had tons of hp, but all I could do was looking him die in a corner of the room, turn after turn, no spells of cure poison, no potions, but anyway I have read on wiki that potions doesn't cure pets from poison..is that right? Maybe I could have save him in someway that I don't know? I think I can't pray for my friends..
    We had an early encounter with the wasps, both poisoned, he panicked when at low hp and ran away..it was funny we both closed in a room waiting for the poison to leave us. He survived that time, but I think poison from wasps is not the same of poison from THE Snake....
    In the meanwhile, on the way up I stopped to DH:2 and gained a greater heart elemental (!) that I call Mario, so I have hope again...just don't know how to face ToEF, we togheter are a weapon, alone I am still weak..
    well, I have to say that until now this is one of the most interesting and funny run that I remember..

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Talking about pets...what's about pets and poison?
    I've started a new game with this fate-rolled GE bard, starting pet a lovely fairy dragon that has been my main weapon for all the early game, it was extr. experienced by the time we were in CoC, it seems that nothing could have stop Alduin, my favorite dragon-pet....it was on my side on water temple, I ordered to kill the big snake and the snake was killed in two hits, all was going ok until I noticed that he was poisoned by the single bite he took from the snake...he had tons of hp, but all I could do was looking him die in a corner of the room, turn after turn, no spells of cure poison, no potions, but anyway I have read on wiki that potions doesn't cure pets from poison..is that right? Maybe I could have save him in someway that I don't know? I think I can't pray for my friends..
    We had an early encounter with the wasps, both poisoned, he panicked when at low hp and ran away..it was funny we both closed in a room waiting for the poison to leave us. He survived that time, but I think poison from wasps is not the same of poison from THE Snake....
    In the meanwhile, on the way up I stopped to DH:2 and gained a greater heart elemental (!) that I call Mario, so I have hope again...just don't know how to face ToEF, we togheter are a weapon, alone I am still weak..
    well, I have to say that until now this is one of the most interesting and funny run that I remember..
    Greater earth elementals and most other pets only take damage on the top floor of the toef. If you can lure the acw downstairs, your non-fire-resistant pet can kill him.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.