Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Tackling the new quests & maps for ADOM

If Rolf's Quest nor the Volcano solves the third quest from Kherab, I was thinking that the assassination of the assassin prince would suffice. It will also serve to lead the player to "Sting" and thus supply an extra hint towards obtaining the Filk quest. Which is sketchy and should remain, but let's face it, the prince is no pushover nor is gaining access to the level.

>Despite the in-game warnings, I still see that many newbies start adventuring in the SMC. Maybe they need... even more warnings.

>>Since some PCs start illiterate, having additional warnings is sensible, for example delivered by a mouth on the wall or by the spirit of an unlucky adventurer.

You must however remember that it is highly unlikely that the first PC a player plays with will get very far into the game. (S)he will most likely visit the SMC or read/listen to the rumour with a literate PC and/or visit the Mad Minstrel in due time. Also the SMC does add a certain level of survival training, although some might see this as a bit sadistic a view.

Why they keep entering the SMC is a good question though, even with all the warnings and deaths. I once suggested a special death message when dying there: "You die from stupidity." o maybe more subtle: "The fool you are."
    Last edited by Stingray1; 01-06-2014 at 10:50 AM.

I can't believe how much everyone is arguing over a minor reward for a minor quest :-/ Maybe your time would be better spent thinking up new quest ideas?

Remember, it's okay for other people to be wrong on the internet. It happens, get over it.
    Platinum Edition ADOMer
    http://gamesofgrey.com - check out my roguelikes!

Quote Originally Posted by gut View Post
    > 1) Bart's revenge.

I love the idea of killing the elder chaos wyrm.
    +1. Great idea.

Okay, here's my attempt at an epic level quest that I call "The Adventure Party". Spoiled for brevity.

Part 1:

Part 2:

Part 3:
    Last edited by JellySlayer; 01-06-2014 at 04:26 PM.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

Very nice idea Jelly, I will support it with all 4 limbs and all 7 tentacles. I'd love to see a quest like this.
    I have to mention one thing however: Even if getting smithing isn't too difficult, getting it to 100 with classes that don't really need it and have very poor dice (+1) might be too much of a hassle if not outright impossible in reasonable game time or without a wish. Also, obtaining lightbringer seems considerably more difficult than getting souldrinker and as such bonuses should perhaps be slightly adjusted to compensate for the extra work?

EDIT: As a side note, this is a shotload of programming work with all the extra stuff. Though I'd certainly like to see some new NPC behavior/mechanics, I'm not sure if this idea isn't too ambitious.
    Last edited by Blasphemous; 01-06-2014 at 08:56 PM.
    "Hell is empty and all the devils are here."

I think most of the NPC interactions could work within the current game mechanics. There'd be a lot of scripting involved for sure, but most of it is just dialogue, NPCs appearing/disappearing, giving quests and receiving items, etc. Some of the interactions can certainly be simplified as necessary. I really mostly wanted to have a quest that 1) showed you aren't the only person who is attempting to stop the Chaos incursion and 2) is revisited at different points in the game. If the exact details need to be changed or simplified, well, c'est la vie. But better to think big and simplify than start too unambitious.

I think the only thing that is really outside the current game design would be to have each adventurer actually have a real class/race or whatever. This isn't necessary at all though--shopkeepers, say, already have a race (even though it doesn't matter much in terms of combat), so presumably there's some way that race can be incorporated. They could just be "gut the grey elven adventurer" though if the classes are really a problem. That's probably a simplification that would need to be made, or, at least, they'd all be of the same "type" but just have different names--that a monk and a wizard would, in practice, be exactly the same monster. Which is lame, but that's the limitations of the game. The party wouldn't need to wander levels or anything. They could just mill about in whatever room you find them in and kill hostile monsters. [edit]I guess the sickness level is new too. That can just be scrapped if it's too much work.

I think Lightbringer is actually pretty strong as it is. Yes, it doesn't give the speed/St bonuses and isn't vampiric (though, I actually have never used a really powerful vampiric weapon, so it's possible that it would be OP because of that), but +4d6 vs. chaotics is a hell of a lot better than +4d6 vs lawfuls. It's also non-corrupting. But the numbers can be tweaked as appropriate. I wanted to make the chaotic weapon comparable, if not stronger, to tempt people into playing the more evil route.

Getting Smithing to 100, I agree is a pain for classes that aren't proficient. The skill can be trained through use, I think, or perhaps Glod, Kherab, or even the Artificer himself could offer training services for it. Alternately, I guess the Artificer could just do it on your behalf if the skill requirement really turns out to be too much of a hassle.
    Last edited by JellySlayer; 01-06-2014 at 09:25 PM.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

Quote Originally Posted by Blasphemous View Post
    Also, obtaining lightbringer seems considerably more difficult than getting souldrinker and as such bonuses should perhaps be slightly adjusted to compensate for the extra work?
    The bonus is that it doesn't contain the essence of chaos and corruption, which is extremely big.
    gate closers: GeWi GnMo(unarmed) DeAs/Pa/Mi(staves)/Ra GePr DrBb HrMo | p7: MeBf | p17: GnPr | p20: DrDu GnAs DeCk MeWp OrBf GnTh MeHe | R57: MeDu | R101: DrAs (26,674 turns) GnDu (26,748) DrAs (18,533)
    ULE: HeRa — OCG: DeMi
    currently speedrunning DrAs.

you misspelled stinkray
    "Whip me!" pleads the adom player. The rng replies... "No."

1. New homelands for some of the races. Humans have three, dwarves one, there is a ratling -ish level of the arena, quicklings even have one.. Where do the other races live? Elves, gnomes, hurthlings, draklings, orcs, troll. There could be an elven encampment, or floating / flying city, or .... where the four elven flavors can be found, each with some agenda.

2. What happens if you convert all five elemental altars to N / L ?

3. What happens at silvernight at the stone circle?

4. Some alternate way to find the backdoor of the High Mountain Village.

Regarding JellySlayer's idea, I like the quest a lot. I actually think the lawful weapon is much much better than the chaotic one, essence of chaos and corruption is so nasty that it convinces me not to use things.

I also think requiring 100 Smithing is too grindy, maybe the celestial artificer, being celestial and seeing a crowned champion and all that, could give you a hand.

Also a detail that is a bit unnatural is, why do the adventurer guys give you the hilt and the blade? If they don't know about the mythical weapon they should probably just discard them as useless, and if they do know, they should keep it for themselves!