Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The new AdomFAQ is live

Post The new AdomFAQ is live

Thanks to a whole lot of rewriting there is a new version of the AdomFAQ. It's up at http://adomgb.info. The html version can be found at http://adomgb.info/adomfaq.html and the ascii version at http://adomgb.info/adomfaq.txt. I'm the new maintainer.

Thanks go out to Léon Planken, Darren Grey, cromat, gut and the regulars at #adom on Freenode. Grey rewrote questions 3.5.1a and 3.5.1b from scratch and helped proof the first and second drafts.

Every section that was added or underwent a major rewrite is marked specifically. Additionally the entire document had minor edits and rewrites. I also cleaned up the formatting and better marked the spoily questions and their answers.

My aims with the new version were to update the document to mostly bring it up to date with p5 and the current state of development. I will put out a new version after the final 1.2.0 comes out with updates where necessary. I also wanted to clearly mark anything spoily whether inside the document or on a link leading somewhere else. Additionally I wanted the document to also offer information for people returning to the game after a hiatus who were not familiar with the new version developments. Of course I also wanted to preserve and expand the information directed at beginners (which makes up most of the FAQ).

There are still things left to do, among them:

- Include information about changing font size, font type, making the screen bigger, playing fullscreen. Of course this knowledge is still in a state of flux because of the upcoming NotEye integration, which will probably introduce further changes.
    - Include information about Ctrl-k and Fast_More.
    - Include information about other often changed configuration variables.

I will need all the input I can get from you for that. Because of that, and in the interest of a possible intermediate update of the AdomFAQ between this version and the one that'll come out after 1.2.0 is released, I ask you to go over the AdomFAQ and chip in on this thread with your suggestions, comments, corrections of any kind, and ideas for stuff that should be included but isn't.

Beginners and not-so-beginners present and future will be thankful for it! Don't forget: you are the AdomFAQ
    Last edited by aerol; 03-09-2013 at 07:58 PM.
    Playing since gamma 10, when necklaces looked like &s. Lithium man. Brass + Lithium. OCG. Illiterate barb. One race and one class to go.

Here is a BIG Thank You to Léon Planken, Darren Grey, cromat, gut and the regulars at #adom on Freenode. While extremely tempting I will not visit the new FAQ for some days (months/years?), unspoiled is a very special state that gets ruined instantly forever, here's to future interactions!

Thanks to all people involved! The FAQ is now linked on the new documentation page of www.ancardia.com
    “It's a cruel and random world, but the ChAoS is all so beautiful.” ― Hiromu Arakawa

Major thanks for working on this, aerol - it's great to see it modernised.
    Platinum Edition ADOMer
    http://gamesofgrey.com - check out my roguelikes!

Quote Originally Posted by aerol View Post
    There are still things left to do, among them:

- Include information about changing font size, font type, making the screen bigger, playing fullscreen. Of course this knowledge is still in a state of flux because of the upcoming NotEye integration, which will probably introduce further changes.
    So far I have what I wrote at the very end of this post:

"On the Windows and OSX versions you can indeed change the font or make it bigger. If you make the font bigger, it will make the window bigger. In the current version, playing the game in fullscreen might require that you run the game from within an emulator. Refer to anon123's post below and to this thread and this other thread."

Ideas and suggestions are welcome.
    Playing since gamma 10, when necklaces looked like &s. Lithium man. Brass + Lithium. OCG. Illiterate barb. One race and one class to go.

Someone recently pointed out that you get a bigger display in the Windows port, by creating a shortcut and setting it to run maximized in its properties. If you combine that with the ability to set a custom font and size, the game can look like this:

I didn't crop the screenshot, that's my laptop's entire screen, where I'm typing this from. I'd say that's as close to fullscreen as you can get under Windows without using emulation.
    "And light there be!"

Do you remember the thread where this was mentioned?

No, but a forum search for "maximized" did the trick

http://www.adom.de/forums/showthread...6503#post76503
    "And light there be!"

There is also this: http://www.roguetemple.com/z/cons2tcod.php

Incidentally by Zeno I did have some issues with keypad IIRC though, but fullscreen for Vista it does

Version 6.1 will see the light of day soon. Barring any big changes version 6.2 will follow after the final 1.2.0 is released.

Here are some of the sections that have been added or underwent important changes. I'd appreciate any feedback:

"2.1b: I can't seem to move diagonally, but the monsters around me have no problem doing it. What's going on?

Your character can move in all eight directions (up, down, left, right, and all diagonals) as well as wait in place. In the game the cardinal points are also used to refer to these eight directions (north, south, east, west, etcetera). You can use the numbers 12346789 to move in all directions and 5 (or '.') to wait in place; the arrow keys can also be used for north-south-east-west. You will notice that this has been designed with a _numpad_ in mind. If your keyboard has a numpad, ideally you will use it to move.

If you do not have a numpad, see _this forum thread_ or _this other one_ for alternatives. If after reading that you want to change your default keybindings by editing the adom.kbd file, see _this post_ if you need help with finding that file.

If you are playing the version with NotEye, there is another alternative, enabled by default: you can press Shift and the left-right arrow keys to move northwest and northeast and Ctrl and the left-right arrow keys to move southwest and southeast.

2.15: I just upgraded to a new version, and the manual/the changelog says that new commands/configuration variables have been added. However, I can't seem to use them. What gives?

The answer to this question involves two files created and used by ADOM: adom.kbd and adom.cfg. The first file contains the keybindings (and can be edited with a text editor to change them from the default ones); the second one contains the configuration variables (and can likewise be edited to change them from the default variables). In other words, you can edit these files to change the keybindings and the configuration for ADOM.

It is recommended to delete your old adom.kbd and adom.cfg files whenever you upgrade to a new version. Otherwise, the game will happily use the old set of keybindings and configuration variables, unaware that a new functionality has been added.

If this doesn't help and the command that isn't working is bound to a key combination involving 'Alt' (displayed as '\M' by ADOM), then you can try rebinding the command to a different key. On some operating systems, the 'Alt' key does not work as intended in ADOM.

If you need more information, or are having trouble locating these files on your computer, read _this forum post_. (Both files are stored in the same folder by ADOM, but the location of the folder depends on which operating system you are playing ADOM on.)

2.16: How do I tweak the ADOM configuration?

As mentioned in question 2.15 above, to tweak the configuration, you will need to edit the adom.cfg file with a text editor. To locate this file, you can run a search for it, or you can follow the instructions in _this forum post_.

If you are wondering what configuration variables usually get changed from their default, here are two of the ones that come up the most:

- Questioned_Attributes: this controls whether ADOM asks you if you want to determine your character's stats randomly or through answering questions when generating a new character. The default value is True. If you find you never use the question system, you can set this to False to skip that phase entirely.

- Fast_More: This controls whether any key can be used instead of just Space and Enter to get past a (more) prompt. The default is False. If you set it to True, you might find that certain common in-game annoyances, like wading through a crowd of spiders, become easier, because you can focus more on trying to get rid of them and less on pressing Space or Enter every few seconds. If you want to be able to turn this on and off within the game instead of making off the new default behavior, you can try pressing Ctrl-k within the game instead.

If you want more information about configuration variables, refer to Appendix B near the end of the manual.

2.18: I'm playing the version with NotEye and I want a little peace and quiet. How do I turn the sound off?

Press 'Ctrl+m' to open the NotEye menu and 'v' for the sound menu, then enter '0' for the sound and music levels."

The only remaining section to be written will be "2.17: How do I change the way ADOM looks?" and will address font, fullscreen mode and other visual elements in the versions with and without NotEye. Feedback and suggestions also appreciated.
    Last edited by aerol; 12-07-2013 at 05:30 AM.