Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: No intrinsic guy

Default No intrinsic guy

So, I recently got this idea (which I'm sure was already used) to play a game without any intrinsic, either natural or gained through an item. Let's see what that means in term of gameplay.

- A number of classes cannot be used. These include: assassin (=Pois), beastfighter (-Pois + -Stun), druid (=Elec), elementalist (-Wbrth), mindcrafter (-Tctrl), weaponsmith (=Fire). With the huge exception of beastfighter and maybe mincrafter you won't need them anyway.

- No crowning, no piety for multiple prayers

- (almost) no artifact weapons. The only legitimate are Moon Sickle, Cat'c Claw, Golden Gladius, Vanquisher, Kinslayer, Justifier and Sting&Needle (seriously considering them). Paladin with big J or barb with even bigger V would be perfect for this, but you can't crown, so we can cross them out. Several artifacts deserve special attention due to missile capabilities, mainly RCT.

- Even less artifact non-weapons. We can only hope for Iron Crown of Havlor and Aylas Holy Scarf, both of which are screwed without ToGu's patch. So yeah, kinda bad. No -foo- dragon scale mails either.

- No teleport control, which is somewhat serious, but I can live with that.

- No invisibility except from potions which is much worse. EDIT: Spells are ok, so it's ok.

- No death ray resistance which is huge gamble for archmage, liches and co.

- No friendly passing EG, which I don't like. Still, we can kill him several times for extra xp.

- ToEF will be a complete disaster. What's more, no elemental gauntlets for decreased corruption, so using Water Orb will be pretty bad.

- No pool sipping.

- No BDC, so that actually crosses out Sting&Needle, damn it. It's probably possible, but you have to be really-really superlucky with monster generation. Maybe stock on Death Ray with a wizard, but still scary as hell.

- No ultras. It's not like I was going to anyway.

Can't think of anything else, but what is there already is pretty bad.

The most logical way is to play an archer, which I'll probably try first. Barehanded monks is a possible choice too, along with casters (we have priest, wizzie and necro). Best shot with an archer is getting Farslayer and I hope RNG won't screw me over with tons of other artifacts.

I might think about abusing Jharod for healing, because it will be needed a lot.

I'll probably try this on the server, just for the sake of fun for others if there are some.
    Last edited by _Ln_; 05-05-2012 at 08:19 AM.
    I like my women like my ADOM loot - hunted as treasure and in extra quantity.

Exploded on booby-trapped door on d:7. That was just lame.
    Another one, I guess.

Damn it, what's with these booby-trapped doors? This time I didn't even try to kick it down. Meh. I guess having 6To doesn't help.
    Last edited by _Ln_; 05-05-2012 at 02:09 PM.

> I'll probably try this on the server,

that will be a good trick
    "Whip me!" pleads the adom player. The rng replies... "No."

oh, i see you already rolled a no-herbalism guy with To:9.
    This should be fun.

EDIT: about passing the EG, how will you do that without tp ctrl?

also, it might, MIGHT work to chat with him while having the ring in the missile slot,
    but then again, I think the ring actually gives -fire while in the missile slot, so nvm.
    Does item based regen count as an intrinsic?
    Last edited by gut; 05-05-2012 at 08:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gut View Post
    oh, i see you already rolled a no-herbalism guy with To:9.
    This should be fun.

also, it might, MIGHT work to chat with him while having the ring in the missile slot,
    but then again, I think the ring actually gives -fire while in the missile slot, so nvm.
    Does item based regen count as an intrinsic?
    That is a good question. I thought about, but forgot to include in the first post. Technically, you don't see it with insight potion, but I guess I shouldn't use it.
    Haven't thought a lot about EG - I'll try to experiment with speed boosting. You can kill him in melee, I guess, but I'll probably use pets on him. 1 from DH with 7 doors around should do the trick.

Would the monk ability to switch with hostiles work?
    You steal a scroll labelled HITME. The orc hits you.

Kill him while he is on stairs. That stops respawning.
    So far rolled 15 casters with RoDS and shamelessly killed them within 200 turns. For eternium glory!
    (after 15 I stopped counting...)

killing him on the stairs is impossible

jharod scum for sure, then it is possible

killing him on the stairs is impossible
    Really?...
    So far rolled 15 casters with RoDS and shamelessly killed them within 200 turns. For eternium glory!
    (after 15 I stopped counting...)

Quote Originally Posted by _Ln_ View Post
    So, I recently got this idea (which I'm sure was already used)
    I recall lurking such a challenge thread here

- A number of classes cannot be used. These include: assassin (=Pois)
    That'd be stretching the definition of intrinsic a little. The Assassin's poison immunity doesn't show up as such from insight/Revelation/death, and cannot be granted by any item. As far as I'm concerned, it is a class power and should be permissible - so should regeneration. Winning is still going to be a bitch even with both

- No crowning, no piety for multiple prayers
    I understand no crowning, but why can't you raise your piety as long as you don't get any luck intrinsics? To "very pleased" to get holy water, for example.

- ToEF will be a complete disaster.
    That's the first thing that came to my mind when reading. Better have lots of healing around, specially for TF:4 where you can't teleport and have to, well, kill the ACW. I'm thinking of farming spenseweeds and pepper petals (and morgia, you'll need extra To), if your character has Herbalism.

- No BDC, so that actually crosses out Sting&Needle, damn it. It's probably possible, but you have to be really-really superlucky with monster generation. Maybe stock on Death Ray with a wizard, but still scary as hell.
    Dragons up to ancient kind (non-inclusive) can't see invisible. With an invis source, magic mapping, luck with teleportation and a wish for speed, it might be feasible.
    "And light there be!"