Thread: Your muscles soften ...

Default Your muscles soften ...

Hello,

Playing on the public release 2.3.8 , i finally got my early crowning at level 13 and there's something i am not understanding regarding a stat getting drained and drained.
    I'm running a Grey Elf Wizard, i have been very lucky to find several Magic Missile books , so i basically magic missile-ed 99% of the monsters i encountered to death.

But regularly since his appearance in the game i saw message "Your muscles soften" while travelling in the Puppy / dungeons, affecting my character without a noticable cause, and by now it has happened enough time so my strength is ... 2.
    Something to note is that my character have been on "burdened" status since nearly his first steps in a dungeon, as i'm well aware it's a good way to train train Strength.

At that point of the game, i'm 100% sure that the loss of strength isn't coming from any of the stat draining monster :
    http://ancardia.wikia.com/wiki/Stat_drain

And i think my character never got a strength loss from any traps.
    Additionally, even at level 13 i haven't yet moved that character past the early dungeons (puppy/unremarkable/village dungeons) as i was trying to get crowned first and he obviously has no corruptions.

Here is his equipment that out of the main weapon he has been wearing since a rather long time and it does not seem there's any stat draining stuff there :
    https://i.imgur.com/9QcoTGT.png
    prior to the Staff of Wanderer that i just got as crowning gift (it's the first artifact the game has generated so far), the character was using a (i blessed both with holy water potions) small shield and mythril broadsword (both normal ones, i mean they had no special brand or anything interesting like that)

I'm always keeping rations that i eat as soon as the hungry message appears so i rather doubt it would be the source of that regular stat loss.
    So far i'm out of idea in the source of that rather important problem, anyone has an idea on what's going on ?
    I don't remember this happening for any of my past characters, in the same time i was playing them in the last public release from 2 years ago ?

This is odd. The only thing I can think of is you had equipped a weapon with the suffix "of weakness".

Although, good news is that str is the easiest stat to train, go to food store, buy heavy food, wait while burdened (w5) eat as necessary.
    Last edited by Blank4u47; 12-07-2017 at 02:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Blank4u47 View Post
    This is odd. The only thing I can think of is you had equipped a weapon with the suffix "of weakness".

Although, good news is that str is the easiest stat to train, go to food store, buy heavy food, wait while burdened (w5) eat as necessary.
    Hmm, i checked and rechecked my equipment and ... i can't believe it, i was so sure i had identified the mithril broadsword (as i did all my equipment) and blessed it , but i didn't identified it (and why i thought it was generic) , i guess too much playing of adom so i do some of the thing mechanically and forget about it after a while.

So i used an identify scroll for it , and :

That was it, thanks for pointing me to that, i was so sure to have that long time wielded broadsword to have been identified, another example of despite playing so much it still easy to overlook a detail, and that's the detail that will kill your character

The good new is that since i got rid of it and only use my Staff of Wonder, my strength went up from 2 to 5 (after all that game time being burdened it's good to see that it still work), hopefully soon back in where it should be.

Quote Originally Posted by Fizanko View Post
    ... small shield and mythril broadsword (both normal ones, i mean they had no special brand or anything interesting like that)
    Not possible, weapon stats and affixes are visible as soon as you equip them. So the "of weakness" part was there in plain sight all the time. The only thing your ID scroll added was the word "uncursed" and the blue color
    gremlin - karmic lizard, dark orc, acid vortex, staring eye - dragon turtle, fairy dragon, ogre lord, minotaur emperor - pit viper, orc butcher - greater mimic, dark elven wizard, carrion crawler, dwarven child - imp - ochre jelly, dark elven archer, king cobra, goodwife - kobold shaman, magebane eye, floating eye, quickling king - giant centipede, hill orc sergeant, mimic hivemind, greater claw bug, brown bear, large gnoll - giant bee queen, giant ant warrior, shadow centipede, kobold

I could nearly swear i haven't seen that weakness brand before.
    I must be getting really old to have my eye not processing those words to my brain

Good news is that after reaching the main dungeon and finally advancing on the dwarven town quests, i just finished clearing the ogre tribe problem, my character has by now reached 12 in strength (though i had put it to Strained instead of Burdened since i entered the dungeon in the hope of getting back it online faster, good i had enough cooked lizard food from the arena trader).