Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Why do people fall for jerks?

You might all want to bear in mind that Russia is still a slightly more traditional society than Western society. Gender roles are just beginning to become blurry, as opposed to the West where sexual discrimination is such a bad thing, in Russia it's a common view among men that "women should be banned from driving" and "whenever you see some drive like crazy, all over the road, it's always a woman" . I'd say Romania is somewhat in-between in this respect, not as sexist as Russia appears to be, but a whole lot less egalitarian than Western Europe.

My apologies if my perception of Russian society is inaccurate. I base my observations purely on what I've read and heard in some rather unreliable papers. The quotes above are from Arsenal football player Andrey Arshavin.

well, nice to see the appraising of our country in that way, man
    To be true sexism was mostly defeated during soviet times. No, really guys I don`t lie you. Ok, may be we are barbarians for you (damn it Boris! don`t post to the forum of the creator while you are drunk!).. err but our wasteland is big and we are different barbarians. Yeah. I`m the Northern barb for example.. we also have south barbs.. east barbs.. and even west ones you know.. they separated recently.. anyway our traditions are really different. All the talks about russian sexism is mostly related to our southern kine. Your beloved Chechnya, Dagestan, Osetia and Georgia that also separated from our friendly family (damn I really thought that they are our brothers until those summer Olympics in Pekin in 08/08/08. Sexism in our country is related to muslims mostly. In all other places wife often means more in the family than the husband, we have a lot of jokes about mans incompetence. So. when Southern man tortures his 3rd wife they don`t pay too much attention in the newspapers about his origins - he is russian! Damn theese guys are even allowed to have several wives! I`m kind of jealous ) But anyway. Dont judge us too severe. We are better than you think. Don`t judge us by your opinion on immigrants, prostitutes and bandits. The worst people are leaving their country much easier than good ones.
    From Russia with love (drunk) Boris.
    P.S. and yeah about my previous sexist posts: its just about the capital.

There is a huge difference between big cities and provincial towns in Russia. In large cities such as Moscow, St. Petersburg, Ekaterinburg quite a lot of gays, lesbians and a variety of subcultures (punks, rockers, tolkienists, etc.) Women's freedom there almost is not prejudiced.
    But in the provincial towns and villages, it is simply dangerous to walk on the streets with long hairs (for men). In these places, only one common subculture - a criminal one. Criminal society more harshly against women. Also that criminal habits are responsible for the homophobia in Russia, because people perceive gay men as being raped in prison and, therefore, unworthy of respect.

p.s. I have not read the entire thread, so my words may be offtopic. )
    Last edited by yisk; 03-13-2010 at 07:26 AM.

Gonna have to check this thread more often : )

To respond to the OP about gals falling for jerks, I say they mainly don't.
    The gals we see or hear about falling for jerks are mainly the attention
    grabbers and drama seekers, otherwise how do we see and hear so much
    about their ~soooo bad~ relationships? All the time. Honestly, in my
    so-called civilization, one can barely walk past a magazine rack without
    seeing the names Brad and Jen. If you don't know those names. I envy
    you more than you can know.

We think of the prettiest gal in high school, and remember how she was
    never impressed by virtues like kindness or honesty, preferring instead
    popularity/status or money. We (oddly) seem to never remember the
    non-attention grabbers and what they preferred, yet they comprised the
    majority : )

The virtue that is most appreciated by either sex is kindness, followed
    closely by honesty. Those two virtue alone aren't everything, but they
    are more appreciated than looks or money by anyone intentionally
    seeking a long term relationship instead of a fling.
    "Whip me!" pleads the adom player. The rng replies... "No."

Quote Originally Posted by gut View Post
    Honestly, in my
    so-called civilization, one can barely walk past a magazine rack without
    seeing the names Brad and Jen. If you don't know those names. I envy
    you more than you can know.
    Well. Damn. Who are they??? the main reason i ask that is that i only read or see my father's newspapers. Which never seem to talk about such stories . Seriously, who are they?
    Haven't won with : Druid, Priest, Elementalist, Weaponsmith, Ranger, Merchants, farmers, Necromancer,Thief
    Currently trying : Entertaining girlfriend. Very, Very, VERY hard.

Just a silly online game

Quote Originally Posted by gut View Post
    We think of the prettiest gal in high school, and remember how she was
    never impressed by virtues like kindness or honesty, preferring instead
    popularity/status or money. We (oddly) seem to never remember the
    non-attention grabbers and what they preferred, yet they comprised the
    majority : )
    And for every man moaning about women that only care about status/money, there's a woman complaining about how men only care about looks. There's a little bit of shallowness in all of us, yet we only ever seem to remember the extremes.
    Platinum Edition ADOMer
    http://gamesofgrey.com - check out my roguelikes!

Well, I'm a man and I am honest enough to admit that we generally do care about looks. Not "only", of course. But more than what would be advisable.

Quote Originally Posted by Al-Khwarizmi View Post
    Well, I'm a man and I am honest enough to admit that we generally do care about looks. Not "only", of course. But more than what would be advisable.
    And the hardest is when the looks you care about aren't the ones modern society does.
    Haven't won with : Druid, Priest, Elementalist, Weaponsmith, Ranger, Merchants, farmers, Necromancer,Thief
    Currently trying : Entertaining girlfriend. Very, Very, VERY hard.

Just a silly online game

Sometimes, its because the jerks were there first. Some jerks are unfazed by rejection while some absolute dicks (I number myself among those) agonize over every possible implication of look and word - and before you know it, the jerk has moved in and wedding invites handed out...

I've got a hot girlfriend imo. Other dudes think so too so I'm probably not too wrong. I'm considerate and try to think in an observant and realistic point of view. Some vices are smoking lots of reefer and and frequently using "rough english" haha. I play video games, am a broke ass university student going to school on student loans, and not the most attractive guy out there.

Hope for all!
    I said it before, and I'll say it again. If I knew scripture like you, I'd prolly be an athiest too.. -gut

/l、
    (゚、 。 7  
     l、 ~ヽ   
     じしf_, )ノ