Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: global warming is a hoax

Well, if nobody has a degree in the area, means we're just exchanging bullshit. We have it officially established so might as well enjoy the process.
    Just kidding, you're right, unfortunately whenever there's big money involved there is a problem with honesty, and I too don't feel exactly comfortable when looking for good data, articles or whatnot.
    (At best, you'll be called a GW denier, a rhetoric similar in my mind to holocaust-denier, which only pops up a red flag in my head, uh hunh, guess like someone's having an agenda to push.).

http://skeptoid.com/episodes/4039
    ^This looks interesting, and, well, supports my viewpoint: know your shit first before you start pushing it as absolute truth, so yeah, I would agree with the guy more than with anybody else.

Quote Originally Posted by grobblewobble View Post
    Just let me tell you that this so-called global warming is a massive lie from a conspiracy of evil scientists who are out to destroy our civilization by letting you and me pay more taxes. Global warming doesn't exist. This is obvious, because clearly our globe has actually been cooling since july this year, and everyone knows that Greenland used to be green in the stone age. So it isn't even warming, and besides, that warming is caused by the sun and we can't do anything about it. We all know there is no evidence for global warming, other than manipulated data and unreliable computer models. Known laws of physics have absolutely nothing to do with it. Who cares about polar bears, anyway?

This is an experiment. I'm curious if this post is going to provoke even a fraction of the flames that result from stating that Treasure Hunter is AWESOME.

I hope I'm not stretching the tolerance limits of the forum too far.
    haha love it.

but if this were true then independent scientists would not back the concept.

... or oppose it.
    "Whip me!" pleads the adom player. The rng replies... "No."

As so very many do.
    Platinum Edition ADOMer
    http://gamesofgrey.com - check out my roguelikes!

Default Global Warming does exist

Global Warming DOES exist!

Instead of measuring medium temperature and medium humidity at a certain point over some years you can also watch Nature itself how she reacts on the migrating climate. One of the best examples are the suisse glaciers. These were tourist attractions since over 100 years ago and there are many photos over a large amount of time which show the same glaciers in different length.

But it can also be seen in my home (Germany, palatinate) where the winemakers that were used to the same grape varieties over the decades have to plan carefully now which grape varieties they have to plant at which places for the future. They already have to take into account the climate shift!

But while some germans may find it nice that Germany is getting warmer ("only" some more deaths in July at the nursing homes for the elderly, some more crop losses, ... ) , the situation for other countries is horrible. States like Egypt and Bangla Desh lose a lot of ground (literally) to the sea at their coastline - each year! And for some Island States the narrow-minded reactions of a certain U.S. president in the past felt like a war declaration! But even living in a country like germany that could feel like a "climate change winner" I have to take into account, that there will be soon millions of people migrating from "climate change losers" states to the "climate change winner" states...

It's absolutely clear that nature reacts when You put ALL the carbon based fossil fuels that were taken out of the biological cycle million years ago in a very short time of 200 years back into the nature cycle again.

Some american hoax media will sell You it's about conspiracies and taxes, but no, it's not about that - it's about changing the american way of life - The truth is: You simply cannot afford going on with your american lifestyle anymore. The way this is paid for (whether taxes or whatever) is irrelevant, but the change of lifestyle has to be paid - somehow. And this truth they don't dare to sell you, because of ... well ... Just look f.e. what european, korean, japanese car builders have done the last 20 years to reduce the gasoline consumption of their cars. And then look at what GM has done...

At all Americans here: please stop reading american media only, You have to read media from all over the world to see what is really happening...

Just as an example (there are millions) :

There are 5 big german glaciers
    1. N?rdlicher Schneeferner
    2. S?dlicher Schneeferner
    3. H?llentalferner
    4. Watzmanngletscher
    5. Blaueisgletscher (am Hochkalter)

Their surface area has been reduced from 329 to 98 hectares in the last 150 years, because of a temperature shift of 2 degrees in the alpes. 30 or 40 years from now on there won't be any more german glaciers. Its saddening though it's not that important for germany because we have enough fresh water resources, but there are a lot of countries where the glaciers are important resources of fresh water...

Quote Originally Posted by Nobbse View Post
    Global Warming DOES exist!

Instead of measuring medium temperature and medium humidity at a certain point over some years you can also watch Nature itself how she reacts on the migrating climate. One of the best examples are the suisse glaciers. These were tourist attractions since over 100 years ago and there are many photos over a large amount of time which show the same glaciers in different length.
    Only the most extremist people would deny that there is global warming, since there is a lot of indication. Global warming has always been there in the past naturally, even very recently, hence the question boils down to what can we do about it and to what extent do we already influence climate. The article mentioned by spectre gives a balanced opinion I think.
    Unfortunately, about this particular question nothing is absolutely clear. It's just too complex. Scientists are trying to give an "educated guess" here and even more unfortunate is that politians and media bias everything to the extreme, towards their interests, so we really only know, that we do not really know how educated that guess is. It would be important to know though, since I think, we do not need to be completely sure in order to act if so much is at stake.

Completely off topic is probably another thing: Can you imagine how much good could be done with the money that battling climate change is going to cost us? There are people already in misery at present without possibly changing sea levels and helping them should be quite cheap in comparison.

That we do not act here indicates to me that nothing will be done about drowning people on fiji islands in the future either. The rest is dreams.

> At all Americans here: please stop reading american media

I'll agree with that, having gotten rid of my TV over 2
    years ago, and not touching newspapers with a 10 foot
    pole. I couldn't be happier.

> You have to read media

No I don't, and stop telling me what I have to do. That's
    why I got rid of my TV.

> 30 or 40 years from now on there won't be any more german glaciers

30 or 40 years ago, people were scared out of thier gourds
    that the 'global cooling' was going to end us all. Google it.
    They were arguing over the legitimacy of data back then,
    the same as we are now.
    Last edited by gut; 12-29-2009 at 04:29 PM.
    "Whip me!" pleads the adom player. The rng replies... "No."

There's a lot more scientific evidence, and in particular scientific consensus now. The only scientists who argue with global warming are hacks after media attention or are in the pocket of certain influential parties. Of course global warming evidence has its problems in that hippy idiots tend to overstate things a little and the media likes to play it up for its usual drama, but the long-term effects are well-understood by modern science and are taken seriously by almost every government in the world (apart from some crackpots like the Venezualens).
    Platinum Edition ADOMer
    http://gamesofgrey.com - check out my roguelikes!

If only governments were any good at doing stuff apart from fighting to remain in power.

Global warming/climate change: not a hoax. Lots of data, really, but I am not going down the graphs road here. Why bother flogging more dead horses?
    Are humans solely responsible? No. See climate history.
    Are humans partially responsible? Probably. See endlessly discredited then recredited hockey stick graph.
    Does the whole stupid climate change debate get in the way of solving other important problems related to the environment? Yes, yes indeed.
    Is the earth screwed anyway? Probably.
    Does that mean we should give up? Nah.

As for the money required to battle climate change being more usefully spent elsewhere, yeah, we could probably spend it on all sorts of cool stuff, solve world poverty, make sure no kids anywhere die just cos they are hungry, etc etc, but that wouldn't actually happen, it seems we developed countries prefer to spend most of our money on bribing farmers to do less work, and most importantly, making lots of bombs and weapons and lethal stuff. Frankly, I would rather give it to the scientists, see if they can come up any new cool crap.

/utterly biased environmental scientist in a quite badly polluted fairly poor country.

Just a thing

IF global warmin is a hoax, and we're not responsible..... well, earth will adapt anyways.
    if it isn't. Well, animals will be more adapted to humanity. Which is good.

So.... why bother?
    Haven't won with : Druid, Priest, Elementalist, Weaponsmith, Ranger, Merchants, farmers, Necromancer,Thief
    Currently trying : Entertaining girlfriend. Very, Very, VERY hard.

Just a silly online game