PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Race/Class

ZeroTheBird
03-07-2008, 10:17 AM
My favorite Race/Class is Human Paladin. yeah i know its stereotype and not exactly the best but its good enough for some hack and slash.

Dorten
03-07-2008, 11:48 AM
hurtling farmer and high elven thief. The only two characters, I managed to win the game with.

Soppa
03-07-2008, 12:24 PM
For some odd reason I've played exclusively gray-elf wizards, out of maybe 1000 characters probably 990 have been those and maybe 10 high-elf wizards. Also, I don't start out with characters which have either poor learning or really low toughness/strength, so I've probably discarded 500 of those 1000 characters right from the beginning. And most of the other 500 have probably died early in the game :D.

electric_wizard
03-07-2008, 02:04 PM
I've only ever finished the game once (in about 10 years!) and that was about 2 weeks ago with a grey-elven bard.

I've always had more luck with bards than any other class:

Cats are easily tamed so earning the ROTMC is a cake walk
Heir gift of a pair of seven league boots
Learn very fast
Class powers are great: loads of skills and magic, doubling HP and mana regeneration and +6 to all attributes!
Very good starting attribute modifiers

Music skill can be a life saver early on. It'll take care of Karmic lizards as well if you aren't too hot with projectiles. Most annoying thing about it is that when combined with the heir gift of seven league boots no pets can keep up with you!

I'm fond of hurthlings as a race as well. Being born with cooking and food preservation skills and having a god that is partial to cooked food means that you can normally get a couple of pre/post crowning artifacts without too much effort.

theotherhiveking
03-07-2008, 02:34 PM
I love dark elven necromancers and rangers!

If you start as an ranger, you will get a lot of high level skills, and after lvl 6 i dont have to care about starving never.

Necromancers are hard to play, but they make such a sweet play later.

Sradac
03-07-2008, 03:21 PM
I play lots of classes, I usually go with what works best with my birth sign, but it usually ends up with gnome elementalists, dark elf wizards, human necros, and human rangers.

Orion
03-07-2008, 04:10 PM
My favorite is Human Monk. I have finished the game twice playing human monk (one was an ultra ending).
I hope there is monk in Jade...

Anfeir
03-07-2008, 04:16 PM
High elven archer. Lots of problems can be solved with the bow and speed of an archer. Especially with Sun's messenger. I remember, i've won the game (without ever dying) with a high elven archer, but.. finally i ran out of food! I stupidly surrounded the only ratling trader with doors... forgot about traps. Yes, he opened a door with a trap... I used a wand of wishing (3) to wish for a trader but... no luck :)) And no plants..

Sandy
03-07-2008, 04:33 PM
I love dark elven necromancers and rangers!

Necromancers are hard to play, but they make such a sweet play later.

So, I'm playing a high elf necromancer right now. I'm going for an ultra, but I think I'm going to have to give up soon because I can't find an amulet of life saving for the life of me. Anyway, this is my first necro to get to where I need to start thinking about the end game.

theotherhiveking, what's so fun about necromancers later in the game? Just raising a whole army of Wights or something? That's what I'm doing in the Ogre Caves getting ready to turn chaotic. Anywho, just wondering.

On the theme of this thread, though, I loves me some dark elf assassins, so EVIL!!!

theotherhiveking
03-07-2008, 04:47 PM
So, I'm playing a high elf necromancer right now. I'm going for an ultra, but I think I'm going to have to give up soon because I can't find an amulet of life saving for the life of me. Anyway, this is my first necro to get to where I need to start thinking about the end game.

theotherhiveking, what's so fun about necromancers later in the game? Just raising a whole army of Wights or something? That's what I'm doing in the Ogre Caves getting ready to turn chaotic. Anywho, just wondering.

On the theme of this thread, though, I loves me some dark elf assassins, so EVIL!!!

Raising armies isnt fun, i mean in overall terms, they are hard, playing other magical class is boring for me, at last i always finish casting the damage spell and runing to recover some mp to cast it again, sometimes even with some direct fighing, with the necros it is different.. i mean, you can raise a death to block a door a few turns while get to the other side and kill all of them while they run from your summon to you.. is just a lot of things, it is not more 'funny' i just find it more interesting, with a paladin all i can do it slash, slash, slash, slash... specially in the begining, same with warriors, necros are more interesting, fail and a orc will bash your head with ease because your low hitpoints.

yisk
03-07-2008, 04:58 PM
Hurthling barbarian & trollish wisard is our choice )

Grey
03-07-2008, 05:28 PM
Grey elven bard was my first win - amazing versatility with Concentration, and great luck throughout the game. Drakelings have to be my favourite race though, with gnomes a close second. Best class is probably priests, though I've never managed to properly win with one (got a chaos wretch ending though - that was... fun).

cutthr0at
03-07-2008, 05:58 PM
I`ve scored most points playing Human/Barbarian and later Gray Elf Priest which has changed his alignment after eating white unicorn( i`ve thought it will cure corruption :-( ) to Chaotic. Very often i`m playing Human/Wizzard.

BowenTheKotoc
03-07-2008, 06:34 PM
I used to pick race and class according to what my birth sign was, but I never seem to do particularly better or worse with one class over another so I started using the random generation every time. It's a good way to be exposed to the different playstyles required for the different combinations.

Baranor
03-07-2008, 06:34 PM
Human Druid FTW!

Three words: Animals don't attack!

That means no problems with Kitty Karma. Granted later in the game, they can be summoned or found in monster rooms, but generally those are evadable at that point.

Also outside of a Wizard, I have found more tomes with a druid than any other class.

Recently I have been randomizing everything with the rule that I have to play what I get until I die. Granted a Gnomish Farmer tends to attempt MUCH harder tasks earlier in the game. Heeheehee.

KazooKing
03-07-2008, 07:23 PM
For some odd reason I've played exclusively gray-elf wizards, out of maybe 1000 characters probably 990 have been those and maybe 10 high-elf wizards. Also, I don't start out with characters which have either poor learning or really low toughness/strength, so I've probably discarded 500 of those 1000 characters right from the beginning. And most of the other 500 have probably died early in the game :D.

I'm much the same, all of my characters are GEWs named 'Dennis'. I don't even know why I call them that.

Travis Prue
03-07-2008, 09:12 PM
For my favorite race, I would have to say high elf. For my favorite class, I would have to say paladin.

sztosz
03-07-2008, 09:36 PM
Troll Healer, an amazing HP recovery rate, high strenght, me crush punny foes!

adomer
03-07-2008, 09:55 PM
My favorite character combo is any kind of elfish priest (solely for detect item status lol). Otherwise elvish spellcasters are particularly helpful for later stages in the game.
The only character i ever beat the game on without saving or cheating was a gray elvish priest.:p

Gulfd'An
03-07-2008, 10:14 PM
I like hurthling assasins don't ask why I just love boomerangs and I always start with one with that combo also I think hurthlings have better throwing or is that only on rocks?

xan
03-08-2008, 04:44 AM
high elven monks are one of my favorites, but i often play other classes especially casters depending on birthsign

Dougy
03-08-2008, 06:20 AM
Dwarf ranger (so many skills), elven priests and wizards, troll barbarian/healer (so much HP). Bards of all kinds are great too.

Rusi
03-08-2008, 09:53 AM
High/Gray Elf archers (gray most of the time) is probably my most played race/class. I have been lately playing physical (ranged or melee ones) oriented characters like rangers and weaponsmiths and left spellcasters to background.

Macros
03-08-2008, 07:21 PM
My favourites race/class combos:

- gnomish/gray elven wizard
- dwarven/gnome barbarian
- mindcrafter(usually gnomish)
- thief(gnomish or orcish)

Epythic
03-08-2008, 10:15 PM
Mainly gray elven wizards. Get very powerful.

Mindcrafters, Archers. Other races, other classes.

Ryuuku
03-08-2008, 10:42 PM
My favourite race is of course dark elf, maybe they aren't tough bur they always have alertness, which is really a great skill, month I like most is unicorn, because it is hard mode of adom it grants no benefits :D. And what about class ... I don't have one that i like most, but druids are nice in my opinion, and no-spellcasting class that I prefer is beastfighter.

Dougy
03-08-2008, 11:16 PM
The best starsign in my mind is, without a doubt, raven. Once you get the <spoily> the game is quite easy!

Shardphoenix
03-09-2008, 12:45 AM
Trollish barbarians FTW!

And trollish farmers... But they have tough luck.

Macros
03-09-2008, 12:10 PM
About starsigns, definitely best starsign is a Candle. PC born under Candle = Adom easy mode:)

Sradac
03-09-2008, 03:04 PM
ooh also Drakeling Mindcrafters rock. that acid spit is a LIFE save at low levels when you have low pp pools and no real damage abilities. it can even help a little bit at high levels, just carry lots of stomfillia and you're set. I find a lot of fun in orc spellcasters too, something about picturing a brutish orc with all his spellcaster garb and trinkets invoking the powers of the land and his ancestors to dominate anything in his way while he attempts to become the the elder chaos god, TrUgDuSh

Congnito
03-09-2008, 03:11 PM
got to be a high elven archer for ez mode, but i mainly like orc barbarian, find weekness +ring of the master cats is kiler combo, born on the candle so u dont bother do the healer quest, that makes it so u keep the little learning and willpower u have, as well as getting the corps of the black druid to gain some toughness and a touch of luck from mana, aswell as more learing (get one step closer to identifying the wand charges). and i always find a wand of cold a dam pain to get with those fighter type chars so its a nice reward aswell, + u get the pre crowing aswell,
Tremender blows are amazing.

or dwaf monk, dono why but i like the old dwaf monks ;)

Daijiro
03-10-2008, 09:54 PM
High elven priest. Probably the easiest race/class to finish the game, and you get some of the most useful skills

spectre
03-11-2008, 01:36 PM
I like hurtlings for the cooking/preserve food combo. They also learn archery and 4 point proficiency in rocks can save life in the early levels. Ther low STR can be trained up to a reasonable 16 in no time, unfortunately they universally suck in the Mana department.
I am also partial to Drakelings (Music helps wih felines, spitting can save lives, food preservation) and Dark Elves (nice stats, skills, starts with elven armor, can eat spiders)

As you can see, I am a bit paranoid in the food department. As they say, paranoid is the man with all the facts (-:

As for the classes, I like bards, with luck you can get an awesome Concentration/Find Weakness/Alertness/Detect Item Status combo, with a hurtling you can get Heir almost all the time. Music makes life in general easier as well

As for other classes, I had lots of fun with Assassins, otherwise, anything with Concentration makes my day.

Tian
03-12-2008, 10:22 PM
I like to play gnomish characters, mainly... gnomish wizards, elementalists, mindcrafters, or even gnomish bards; They need very little xp to advance to a higher level... I dont like fighter classes, they become harder to play in later parts of the game...

i dont know why, but i never played female characters... im not sexist, right?

unienaule
03-12-2008, 10:57 PM
I play a lot of dwarves. I made a dwarven weaponsmith who read a scroll of monster summoning and picked up an ancient karmic dragon in the dwarven halls. I try to do all classes that aren't casters as dwarves. I tried a dwarven wizard a few times but couldn't get it to work out very well.

Grey
03-12-2008, 11:00 PM
I almost always play males too - even have it set in my .cfg not to bother asking me. It's a role-playing game after all, and I reserve pretending to be female for purely social occasions ;-P

Zeon
03-14-2008, 01:44 PM
High elven wizards for me.. but i always quit the game if the learning score is not higher than 20.. heheh
I like to play high elven mindcrafter too! once I have the "teleport others" power Cats wont be a problem anymore... I just teleport them.

Epythic
03-14-2008, 05:30 PM
The Creator said (http://rpgvaultarchive.ign.com/features/interviews/adom.shtml) (Edit: ...in 1998):

When I'm playing to simply kill some time I love dwarven warriors. When I'm for a challenge, I often go with gnomish wizards. Right now I'm considering changes to Necromancers, who I'd like to play a lot more often.

deepshock
03-14-2008, 05:36 PM
Dwarf Paladin

10-14 PV starting (plate mail :D), great overall kit, and great starting skills (detect traps, mining and healing), and most of the things he lacks (missile weapons, ability to handle rivers, magic-type items) can be built up with little trouble. Magic is the hardest thing for the D/P to get going, and even THERE he can learn some simple spells like Light and Knock. Their early game survivability, while not exactly guaranteed, is INCREDIBLE.

Dwarven gods love the gold, which can -always- be used directly to raise piety anyway. As a result, this guy has a fairly easy time getting crowned, especially if you're wise enough to choose Alert, Miser, Treasure Hunter.

Moral Fallacy
03-14-2008, 07:03 PM
I'd have to say my fav is definately dark elven mindcrafters. They're horridly weak in the early lvls but once they get going, they're extrodinarily powerful. I enjoy playing thieves as well as monks. I had a very succesful necro at one time, he was very interesting.

Epythic
03-15-2008, 07:57 AM
I'd have to say my fav is definately dark elven mindcrafters. They're horridly weak in the early lvls but once they get going, they're extrodinarily powerful. I enjoy playing thieves as well as monks. I had a very succesful necro at one time, he was very interesting.

Unless you get a greater vault of undead :P

Macros
03-15-2008, 09:17 AM
Unless you get a greater vault of undead :P

Greater telekinetic blast:)

Epythic
03-15-2008, 12:59 PM
I thought trying to attack undeads with mindcraft damages yourself?

Macros
03-15-2008, 01:35 PM
Not with telekinetic/greater telekinetic blasts. As manual says, mindcrafter suffers only from contacting with mind of undead/chaos creature. It's telekinesis, so there is no contact betwen mindcrafter and undead brain. That's why TB and GTB are great weapons.

Moral Fallacy
03-16-2008, 12:36 AM
Yeah the undead vaults might be 'tougher' but I can melt through dragon vaults like a hot knife through... ICE CREAM! As Macros stated, telekinetic blast and it's big brother are somewhat like a physical force blasted towards your target, not an attack on the enemies mind itself, thus you don't suffer the negetive effects of such.

I've finished the game many times with mindcrafters (being my fav something like 1/3 of my chars are mindcrafters =P) and I'd say undead/karmics are more of a nuisance than threat once you learn how to properly deal with them.

BlU_sKrEEm
03-24-2008, 12:54 AM
I love Male Troll farmers, not only do I never have to worry about burden, but they are well equipped for ranged and melee attacks.

Worst Player... ever
03-25-2008, 03:55 PM
I usually play women unless I'm playing a brute. I'd usually rather have the point of dex than a point of strength because any strength score less than 16, 17 is immaterial. I'll soon train it up to that amount anyway.

And come on... we spend a lot of time with these characters. Would I like to spend that time with an orc, or a brunette with an appearance of 23 who can animate the dead? There's @ signs, and then there's @ signs! :D

Necromancers are my favorite class, but if I land a melee-oriented star-sign I usually run a monk. I like both classes because they're not quite as dependent on equipment and luck as the others - plus they're multi-dimensional.

Am I the only person here who nearly always plays humans? Even in PnP, 90% of my characters are human. It's easier to relate to them. And in ADOM, that gives you food preservation which is nothing to sneeze at, especially for Necromancers.

NMBLNG
03-28-2008, 04:06 AM
I like the idea of Elamentalists, but sometimes their abilities aren't the best. Though having Gemology in the puppy cave can be handy.

I like mindcrafters too, though I have a hard time staying alive.
Generally play elves. Sometimes Drakelings or Dwarfs.

theotherhiveking
03-28-2008, 02:02 PM
Am I the only person here who nearly always plays humans? Even in PnP, 90% of my characters are human. It's easier to relate to them. And in ADOM, that gives you food preservation which is nothing to sneeze at, especially for Necromancers.

No, you are not alone T_T! I play humans too, they have the food thingy, with is for me the more useful skill, specially in early game, when finding corpses is the best solution against hunger.

grobblewobble
08-25-2009, 01:14 PM
Didn't want to start a new thread on this subject so here is necrobumping an old topic.

My favourite race is hurthling, for the same reasons some others have stated: cooking is cool and makes (pre-)crowning less of a hassle, and of course archery and food pres are both good.

And come on... we spend a lot of time with these characters. Would I like to spend that time with an orc, or a brunette with an appearance of 23 who can animate the dead? There's @ signs, and then there's @ signs!
Agreed 100%! :cool:

Jack the Ripper
08-25-2009, 01:20 PM
My favourite race is hurthling, for the same reasons some others have stated: cooking is cool and makes (pre-)crowning less of a hassle, and of course archery and food pres are both good.

I actually like gnomes quite a lot for the crossbow bonus, gemology and mining (wannabe smithers really benefit from both) and Ventriloquism. Having Pick Pockets to start with means you can pickpocket early and get Detect Traps from Yergius using the Kranach gold in quite a hurry, before leaving the east of the map.

grobblewobble
08-25-2009, 01:33 PM
Yeah gnomes are cool aren't they? That would be my second fav race. Both also get the extra talent and fast levelling.

Fav classes are monk, priest, archer. Wizard is teh powah but I find them a little boring. Mindcrafter appeals a lot but I failed surviving the early game so far. Paladin sounds good too and assassin could be cool, but I didn't really try these yet.

Sami
08-25-2009, 02:49 PM
Favourite race is hurthling and favourite class is perhaps bard or archer.

FantomFang
08-25-2009, 04:37 PM
I do have to say that Hurthlings can be fun. The current beastfighter for the challenge game, for example, cracks me up as he is at the moment only 17 pounds (1/2 weight, DV+6 corruption). That's a small package for a lot of beastiness. Can't imagine what it would be like to see him fight. :D

otus
08-25-2009, 07:16 PM
My favourite races at the moment are gnomes and dwarves. Gnomish elementalists and dwarven rangers especially. I like playing rangers most because they start with so many useful skills. Lack of concentration is a drawback, but my style of playing doesn't include much spell casting anyway.

Now I'm having a great time playing a troll paladin. Being born in the sign of the book helps with learning spells and the 2-headed calf birth incident helps a little with the slow leveling.

CheatMan
08-25-2009, 08:29 PM
I'm rather fond of the Gnomish monk right now. Gemology + wallkick + God loves gems = easy pre-crowns before having to hit pyramid.

Silfir
08-25-2009, 11:30 PM
Dark elf, really. I just love the Alertness - Find Weakness combo.

And yes, this means I'll try one dark elven mindcrafter after another like an idiot - I always try to take them through the UD or raid Darkforge, and as you can imagine this isn't going well at all.

Jack the Ripper
08-26-2009, 12:34 AM
I'm rather fond of the Gnomish monk right now. Gemology + wallkick + God loves gems = easy pre-crowns before having to hit pyramid.

That's a close second after gnome archer, in my book. Those are my top-two favorites. Monks with any other race somehow waste the potential for unlimited gems.

sorear
08-26-2009, 12:59 AM
Any character, as long as it's a mindcrafter. I've won human, grey elf, dark elf, gnome, hurthling, dwarf, troll, and drakeling; still need high elf and orc mindcrafters.

Cripplefish
08-26-2009, 03:03 AM
My favourite race is easily gnomes. As people have mentioned gemology, mining, pick pocketing and ventriloquism are incredibly useful. As for my favourite class I'd have to say elementalist. Got my first win with one the other day after thousands of failed elementalists. I like not having to worry about running out of offensive spells and summoning elementals is fun. Just a shame that the intrinsic fire resistance doesn't work in the ToEF...

Lately I've been playing assasins or monks depending on which star sign I get (I don't like to starsign scumm :P) and I'm getting better at survivng. I've read good things about monks but I just keep making stupid mistakes and as such have yet to get higher than level 10 with one. As for assassins, assuming I can survive long enough to get healing I can do pretty well.

FantomFang
08-26-2009, 03:10 AM
I thought I'd chip in...

Favorite Race: Gray Elf. I love not worrying about aging (as pointless as it generally is) and I love the automatic chain mail you can get on so many classes. Plus they always have good learning, so my skill increases are always on the better side. I also can generally stomach any poor attributes thanks to their weaknesses being easily increased, and the fact that I generally scum the ID for a couple levels at the start of the game to improve starting DV/PV makes up for the otherwise weak start. 3 of my 4 wins are with these guys.

Favorite Class: Thematically Ranger. Just with the powers were better. In play it is the monk. My first melee win was with these guys, and they've always held a special place for me (Especially since it's nice being able to play one effectively, darn you 3 Ed. D&D). Wizard/Priest get honorable mention, because I've always loved the versatility that spells bring and weak starts never bother me.

PMJ
08-28-2009, 12:38 AM
I recently started playing weaponsmiths, and have found them to be pretty good. My High Elven Weaponsmith is kicking a whole lot of butt - that extra strength that Weaponsmiths get is great for making the fragile elf very survivable in the early game, and after finding an aligned alter in VD lvl 6, I got him pre-crowned and received Protector. That shield, plus elven armor, and some decent other pieces of eq, a bit of smithing (being able to melt eq to metal is great for meterials), and he's a fricking fortress on legs. at level 13 on normal aggression setting, he's got 55/25 protection.

Not sure how well he'll do in the later game, but for now I've basically been waltzing through dungeons :)

Pumpernickel
08-28-2009, 01:03 PM
I like gnomes for race. As for class - i've no clear favourite, although Monks make good jacks-of-all-trades: evil melee monsters and reasonable spellcasters.

Elementalists make nice low-maintenance blasters (even work with trolls, in spite of their slow levelling), Bards provide interesting grab-bags of random skills and have a reasonable shot at acquiring some pet killer bugs, the #1 game-breaking ?ber-pet. With some supervision of their health state, those can reasonably knock out undead greater vaults (at least those with less than 10 emperor liches), chaos archmages, casino shopkeepers, greater unicorns and dwarven artificers. Now if only you could get them through the chaos gate ...

Sadface
08-28-2009, 04:35 PM
I kinda like all races pretty equally, with exception to troll. Low
max age, slow exp gain... I really like orcs, elves (except dark),
and drakelings.

Class-wise, I prefer casters to melee, so wizard, priest, necromancer,
mindcrafter. I don't really like how elementalists gain their spells,
mostly due to how spells and castings work in ADOM.

Al-Khwarizmi
08-28-2009, 04:43 PM
Drakelings all the way. The spit is awesome. The second place would probably go to gnomes, solid casters, solid characters in general. I also like gray and dark elves. Trolls... well, I think they're conceptually cool, but my playstyle doesn't go very well with them, because they need lots of exp and I don't like scumming.

As for the classes, wizard. It's simply the most powerful, at least with my playstyle. I also like monks, I was playing some recently and their kung-fu is nice. Elementalists and paladins would come in third place. Elementalists have the problem of not finding many books, but IMO they're not as bad as most people seem to think. Lots of guaranteed castings of burning hands (plus bolts) make the early game a breeze, and guaranteed ball spells are also a nice thing to have. It's also a good class for a newbie, it's the class with which I first reached Dwarftown, the HMV, Kelly and the ACW.

JellySlayer
08-28-2009, 04:57 PM
My favorite race is probably hurthlings these days. The high skill in thrown rocks to start gives a nice advantage in the early game, and archery + food preservation are always good to have. I don't play them that often, but I actually rather enjoy playing trolls as well, since they're the only race where you really notice the racial effects for the whole game--for everybody else, what race you are matters little beyond the first couple of levels.

Archers are my favorite class hands down. They are a lot of fun to play and are ridiculously powerful--with a bit of speed, a few levels and the right talents, you can fire maybe 6 arrows for every turn the monsters get. And there's nothing better than killing 4 balors with a single arrow with a level 50 archer. My first win and first ultra were with archers.

pblack
08-28-2009, 05:23 PM
I had good success with gonimsh necromancers recently. They start with very good mana, wich can mean a small army of undead to fight by your side in places like the big room. Also, more PP is always nice.

It's not rare to roll a gnome with 16+ To, they get good learning and an extra talent. Those guys are great imo.

RndmNumGenerator
08-29-2009, 11:27 PM
Dark Elves are my favorite race. I also play a decent amount of Humans, High Elves, and Dwarves. As far as combinations go, here are my top 5:

Dark Elven Ranger
Dwarf Paladin
High Elf Archer
Human Monk
High Elf Priest

grobblewobble
08-16-2011, 09:33 AM
I guess digging up this topic makes me a necromancer.

For some reason I never really liked spellcasters, maybe because I dislike the overpowered casting out of HP - imo this is much worse than getting 99 str with ring of weakness. All that really does is giving you high damage and carrying capacity; casting out of HP means you effectively have infinite mana. Why bother with having a mana stat at all, then? :mad: [/rant]

Archers are incredibly strong, but I have a soft spot for monks. I like their philosophy of carrying around a minimum of junk, their skillset and their lovely class powers. And best of all: they get a bonus for wearing a robe or elven chain mail, except when it is an ugly robe. How cool is that? :p

My first victory and my only ultra to date were both monks.

As for race, after trying different options, I believe drakes make the best monks. The main problem with monks is that they start out weak and acid spit is the perfect compensation, and fits nicely with the low food consumption. Also swimming can help out in difficult early game situations and food preservation and music can both be good.

Silfir
08-16-2011, 10:55 AM
Didn't want to start a new thread on this subject so here is necrobumping an old topic.

I guess digging up this topic makes me a necromancer.

For some reason I never really liked spellcasters, maybe because I dislike the overpowered casting out of HP - imo this is much worse than getting 99 str with ring of weakness. All that really does is giving you high damage and carrying capacity; casting out of HP means you effectively have infinite mana. Why bother with having a mana stat at all, then? :mad: [/rant]

Archers are incredibly strong, but I have a soft spot for monks. I like their philosophy of carrying around a minimum of junk, their skillset and their lovely class powers. And best of all: they get a bonus for wearing a robe or elven chain mail, except when it is an ugly robe. How cool is that? :p

My first victory and my only ultra to date were both monks.

As for race, after trying different options, I believe drakes make the best monks. The main problem with monks is that they start out weak and acid spit is the perfect compensation, and fits nicely with the low food consumption. Also swimming can help out in difficult early game situations and food preservation and music can both be good.

I'm not going to comment on your weird borderline-perverted tendencies, you filthy necrophiliac, but don't you think you should be advocating hurthling monks to ensure consistency? I mean, it's not like your favorites could change over the course of two years or something.

Casting from HP is the main reason spellcasters are powerful in the late game, but it's not that much help in the early game, when you have very much finite HP, and you need your Mana score to not go bottom-up after every other fight. If you want the added challenge of using only PP to perform supernatural feats, you can always play a mindcrafter. They only get noncaster weapon skill marks in order to keep themselves alive.

grobblewobble
08-16-2011, 01:31 PM
Mindcrafters are really a different species but yeah, you could simply add "no HP casting" as a challenge rule for spellcasters. I don't really know why I don't like playing them. Maybe it is the hassle of having to choose a spell when attacking instead of just holding down 't' or an arrow key.. dunno

I didn't even remember that I said hurthling, hahaha! :) How about you, Silfir? Do you still play ADOM, or only JADE now?

Al-Khwarizmi
08-16-2011, 03:38 PM
Mountain dwarf figh... errrr... drakeling wizard. They are massively powerful, and one got me my first win.

Edit: just noticed that I had already posted in this thread two years ago. Damn necromancers. :P

nathrakh
08-16-2011, 05:14 PM
My favourite race is gnome and second favourite is probably dark elf.

Favourite classes are barbarian, monk, beastfighter and assassin... See the pattern? Huehuehue.

Silfir
08-16-2011, 06:51 PM
I don't play ADOM or JADE these days, actually. It's truly, utterly shameful.

In any case, my favorite class is Non-troll.

Punch Perfect
08-25-2011, 10:11 AM
Will those ghetto fireballs from failed alchemy speed a drakeling assassin up? This might become my favourite class.

Assassins also get pretty good class powers and crowning gifts. The only downside is missing out on healing so the early game can be a bit tough until you reach your first spenseweed bush. Other than healing I get an excellent set of skills: alchemy, alertness, archery, dodge, find weakness, food preservation...

The game's off to a decent start: altar(lawful) on PC:2, precrown here we come!

Grey
08-25-2011, 01:54 PM
Yes, alchemy fireballs will increase a drakeling's speed.

If you want a decent healing rate from the start then choose the Candle star sign. Otherwise it's not too hard to speak to Hotzy and go spit on the Healer.

gut
08-25-2011, 05:05 PM
troll assassin

best skillset in the game, serviceable healing (though slowish, it does allow for
herbalism quest if desired), second best crowning set in the game, starting
St:33 and To:30 are possible (that is +6 intrinsic PV), crazy high HP's all game.

special troll benefits for SMC (high power in comparison to xl) means you can
always get the wblanket (even if you hit a viper trap :D), can easily generate
the puppy before day 4 AND xl 6, can effortlessly kill kranach at xl 1 (so kinda
like starting with 3000g free), can rule PC:2 no-sweat (so almost like free -acid
and plenty of free gems), can rule hotz with PC:2 rocks, can clear darkforge at
xl 10 if you get a good crowning gift (so don't let the 'trolls xp problems' crowd
even get to you).

Travis Prue
08-31-2011, 06:30 AM
Dwarven Beastfighter.

grobblewobble
09-02-2011, 01:28 PM
can rule PC:2 no-sweat (so almost like free -acid
and plenty of free gems)

Where is "easy to save the pup" in that list of advantages? I thought you were a dog lover? :(

I am dissappoint.

JellySlayer
09-02-2011, 03:32 PM
troll assassin

best skillset in the game, serviceable healing (though slowish, it does allow for
herbalism quest if desired), second best crowning set in the game, starting
St:33 and To:30 are possible (that is +6 intrinsic PV), crazy high HP's all game.

special troll benefits for SMC (high power in comparison to xl) means you can
always get the wblanket (even if you hit a viper trap :D), can easily generate
the puppy before day 4 AND xl 6, can effortlessly kill kranach at xl 1 (so kinda
like starting with 3000g free), can rule PC:2 no-sweat (so almost like free -acid
and plenty of free gems), can rule hotz with PC:2 rocks, can clear darkforge at
xl 10 if you get a good crowning gift (so don't let the 'trolls xp problems' crowd
even get to you).

Troll monk is better IMHO.

Start with healing, so you can get heal+herbs. Druid quest benefits are much better than healing quest until you plan on doing potion scumming. You get concentration, so you can cast spells. Monk class powers are have better synergy--lower food consumption balances troll issue; kicking + gemology gives unlimited gems if you care (and thus guaranteed Le 25+ to go with those spells you can cast); you get fast movement early in the game and position swap in late-game. You also get speed and DV bonuses.

Compared to all this, assassin gets archery and alchemy and slightly better crowning gifts...

That said, GE/HE archers are still better than either choice, as are GE/HE wizards, of course.

gut
09-02-2011, 07:36 PM
Slightly better crowning gifts? I cleared DF with an xl 10 troll assassin.

JellySlayer
09-02-2011, 09:17 PM
Slightly better crowning gifts? I cleared DF with an xl 10 troll assassin.

When I have some time I'll clear DF with a level 10 HE thief to show you how much that impresses me.

gut
09-03-2011, 01:40 AM
thief will pickpocket them to death?

EDIT:

Took some time and looked into the troll assassin vs troll monk comparison:

> Start with healing, so you can get heal+herbs.

Healing skill isn't needed when playing a troll. It is nice, but only nice.

> Druid quest benefits are much better than healing quest

A troll assassin can do herb quest. As soon as herbs are found, whatever
'niceness' that is provided by healing skill is minimized.

> until you plan on doing potion scumming.

The point of troll assassin is to minimize scumming.

> You get concentration, so you can cast spells.

Concentration = spellcasting? Good luck with that. No troll monk will be
casting spells early. Trolls have special disadvantages as opposed to
all other races. As for late-game spell learning and spellcasting,
concentration is handy, but only handy.

> Monk class powers are have better synergy--lower food consumption balances troll issue;

All trolls get food pres, and for assassins it hits 60 by xl 3 or 4. Food is a non-issue.

> kicking + gemology gives unlimited gems if you care (and thus guaranteed Le 25+

I have been down this debate before. It is one thing to talk about doing this in
theory, but quite different to actually DO it in reality. I have done it with
blingers and such and it is horrid. *shudders* Any effort that one puts into the
CoK quest could be better used elsewhere.

> to go with those spells you can cast);

In reality, any race is better than troll in terms of spellcasting. Pick trolls
for smashing things, not zapping.

> you get fast movement early in the game and position swap in late-game.
> You also get speed and DV bonuses.

You are saying trolls and class powers have good synergy? Really? You do know
you have to level up to get those, right? You also know that monks have a large
xp penalty (almost twice that of assassins)? When chosing a race for a class-
power beast, one should lean away from trolls, not toward.

Trolls are good picks for classes that get powered up by dieties, not xp.

> Compared to all this, assassin gets archery and alchemy and slightly better crowning gifts...

Assassins start with detect traps, useful for those who dislike pickpocketing.
Assassins get almost 1/2 the xp penalty as monks, useful for all.
Assassins get the ability to true berserk, having access to an average of 28
starting to-damage, as opposed to the monk's 18.
Assassins start with missile abilities and amunition, giving an average of 23
to-damage, useful for hotz killing, vortices, karmic lizards, etc...
Assassins get crowning gift chances for 3 humanoid slayer one-handers, with
ancient claymore and farslayer as backup. Compare that to the peace gauntlets : D
Assassins get alchemy, a way to overcome one of the only dangers to trolls, age attacks.

To summarize the things you seem to be counting as important: later spellcasting
boost, later speed boni, later movement boni, later DV boni, later CoK scumming...
To summarize what I count as important: high (melee and missile) to-damage to get
one easily through the early game.

In my mind, the monk has only one REAL advantage over assassin, literacy. Scroll
reading in the early game is nice, but waiting for dwarftown isn't bad.

> When I have some time I'll clear DF with a level 10 HE thief to show you how much that impresses me.

An xl 10 high elf thief in darkforge sounds like a fun thing to watch.

JellySlayer
09-03-2011, 04:07 AM
An xl 10 high elf thief in darkforge sounds like a fun thing to watch.

I'll send you the server log if you miss me trying it ;)

JellySlayer
09-03-2011, 06:57 AM
As promised

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Screenshot

#####
################## #...#
#.. #..^^^^^^.^./[[[.# #.<.#
#.# #####+###########[[[[# #...#
..# #.# ##### ###.........### #[[[[# ##.##
#..##.# ... #.............# #[[[[# ...
#..#.### ##+##.# ##......&......########## ##.##
#########.#...#######..##.####......&.&......##...... ...
#...........#.#....##.##...../.....&.&.&...../..######### .## ##.##
#.###########...##.##.##.#####......&.&......##.# ..... ... #...#
#.################../....# ##......&......###.### #.############.# ##.##
#.##.#.#.#.#.#.################.............# #...# #....##........# #...#
#.............?...# #(((...(###.........### ###.# #.##.##.####.########.##
####.#.#.#.#.#.##.# #((..(.(# #####/##### #.####.##.##.## #.##.......#
#####.#######...# #.(((((.#######^# #......##.....# #.##.#######
#^.^# #.>.# #(((.(((/.^^^^^^# #################.##.#
#^@.# #...# ################# #.......#
##### ##### #########

Run St:16 Le:21 Wi:24 Dx:26 To:31 Ch:16 Ap:19 Ma:22 Pe:17 L+
DV/PV: 37/32 H: 180(181) P: 81(81) Exp: 15/163811 DFG M: 41935
Blessed Satiated

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Character Information

Run St:16 Le:21 Wi:24 Dx:26 To:31 Ch:16 Ap:19 Ma:22 Pe:17 L+
DV/PV: 37/32 H: 180(181) P: 81(81) Exp: 15/163811 M: 41935

Background Information

Name: Run Race: female High Elf Class: Thief
Eye color: blue Hair color: brown Complexion: light
Height: 5'10" Weight: 110 pounds
Age: 221 (grown-up, 9 years of unnatural aging added in)
Star sign: Candle Birthday: 5/Candle (day 275 of the year)

YOUR HISTORY:
Your mother is a mighty enchantress. She is unmarried. Your father
is living in the vicinity of your mother's tower. He is a humble shepherd.
As a child your parents cared a lot for you. Despite all
circumstances you enjoyed a happy and fine childhood.
In your youth you worked a lot to become rich and famous later.
Consequently you rarely had enough time to play with other kids of your
age.
As a young adult you tried many occupations before finally deciding
on one to pursue. This has left you with a very broad base of lore.
You decided to become a Thief.

Weapon Skills

Melee weapon Lvl Hit Dam DV Level Required marks
--------------------- --- --- --- -- ------------- --------------
Unarmed fighting 0 +0 +0 +0 unskilled 11
Daggers & knives 8 +7 +4 +2 excellent 64
Clubs & hammers 0 +0 +0 +0 unskilled 15
Maces & flails 0 +0 +0 +0 unskilled 15
Swords 2 +2 +0 +0 basic 40
Axes 0 +0 +0 +0 unskilled 15
Whips 0 +0 +0 +0 unskilled 15
Pole arms 0 +0 +0 +0 unskilled 15
Twohanded weapons 0 +0 +0 +0 unskilled 15
Staves 0 +0 +0 +0 unskilled 15

Missile weapon Lvl Hit Dam Ra Level Required marks
--------------------- --- --- --- -- ------------- --------------
Slings 0 +0 +0 +0 unskilled 7
Bows 0 +0 +0 +0 unskilled 3
Crossbows 0 +0 +0 +0 unskilled 7
Thrown axes & hammers 0 +0 +0 +0 unskilled 7
Thrown daggers 0 +0 +0 +0 unskilled 7
Thrown rocks & clubs 0 +0 +0 +0 unskilled 7
Thrown spears 0 +0 +0 +0 unskilled 7
Boomerangs & scurgari 0 +0 +0 +0 unskilled 7

Shields Lvl DV Level Required marks
--------------------- --- --- ------------- --------------
Shields 6 +12 skilled 223

Damage caused with your melee weapons:
--------------------------------------
Right hand: +40 bonus to hit, 1d4+20 damage

Damage caused with your missile weapons:
----------------------------------------
Ammunition: 26, base range: 8, +30 bonus to hit, 1d6+9 damage

Spells

Fire Bolt: 97, 10pp (Effectivity: +1)

Skills

Alertness ........... 82 (great) [+1d5]
Appraising .......... 52 (good) [+2d4]
Backstabbing ........100 (superb) [+2d4]
Climbing ............ 42 (fair) [+4d5]
Detect traps ........100 (superb) [+2d4]
Disarm traps ........ 38 (fair) [+4d5]
Dodge ............... 78 (great) [+1d5]
First aid ........... 61 (good) [+1d3]
Haggling ............ 23 (mediocre) [+4d5]
Herbalism ........... 74 (great) [+3d3]
Listening ...........100 (superb) [+2d4]
Literacy ............ 44 (fair) [+1d5]
Pick locks ..........100 (superb) [+2d4]
Pick pockets ........100 (superb) [+2d4]
Stealth .............100 (superb) [+2d4]

Inventory
Total weight: 1003 stones Carrying capacity: 1650 stones

Head : uncursed orcish helmet [+1, +2] {Pe-2} [100s]
Neck : cursed black torc [+4, +2] (+10 spd) [3s]
Body : uncursed adamantium scale mail (-1, -2) [+0, +8] [288s]
Girdle : mithril girdle [+0, +2] [20s]
Cloak : uncursed cloak of protection [+0, +3] [20s]
Right Hand : blessed adamantium dagger of penetration (+2, 1d4+5) [7s]
Left Hand : blessed large mithril shield (-1) [+7, +2] [96s]
Right Ring : uncursed ring of damage [1s]
Left Ring : blessed ring of fire resistance [1s]
Bracers : blessed bracers of protection [+0, +2] [10s]
Gauntlets : uncursed blue leather gauntlets [+0, +4] [10s]
Boots : -
Missile weapon: uncursed short bow of accuracy (+6, +0) [20s]
Missiles : bundle of 26 uncursed arrows (+0, 1d6) [52s]
Tool : heap of 5 cursed moss patches of mareilon [10s]

[snip]

Killed Monsters

664 monsters perished under her attacks.

The following monsters were vanquished:
32 steel golems

Achievements

She survived for 0 years, 36 days, 9 hours, 20 minutes and 6 seconds (41935
turns).
Run visited 29 places.
Her strength score was modified by +4 during her career.
Her willpower score was modified by +13 during her career.
Her dexterity score was modified by +3 during her career.
Her toughness score was modified by +21 during her career.
Her charisma score was modified by +4 during her career.
Her mana score was modified by +2 during her career.
She was unnaturally aged by 9 years.

_Ln_
09-03-2011, 07:11 AM
That's penetration dagger's work, not a thief's ;)

Though, monks are still better than assassins - they can kill anything as long as they are level 6 :D

gut
09-03-2011, 07:13 AM
I did get to watch it, well some of it anyway. Sooooo much scumming...

Was good, but not as good as my troll assassin, doing it at xl 8 in half the time : D

JellySlayer
09-03-2011, 07:15 AM
I did get to watch it, well some of it anyway. Sooooo much scumming...

Was good, but not as good as my troll assassin, doing it at xl 8 in half the time : D

You took twice the turns and used, what, 20 prayers?

[edit]If you're going to take 80000 turns to finish Darkforge, you might as well at least use a bard and do it at level 1.

gut
09-03-2011, 08:22 AM
00:14 <gutt> i may roll a troll assassin and try to beat you to df
02:02 <gutt> one chance at backstabbing kherab

So that was 80k turns in 01:48 total. My fingers are still smokin'.
Ah, but indeed I was using the old prayer exploit :D

grobblewobble
09-03-2011, 12:38 PM
GE/HE archers

I've always wondered about dark elf archer versus high or grey elf.

High elf: about +10% chance of really good crowning gift*, slightly better start equipment.
Dark elf: find weakness

*: If you count the bow and crossbow as really good it is 43% vs 33%; if you also count the sling as really good, only 57% vs 50%; if you absolutely must have the bow, 29% vs 17%.

Silfir
09-03-2011, 10:23 PM
My usual answer is high elf, simply because ROFLSTOMP times 20 is not as good as ALSOROFLSTOMP times 50. That's early game. First hatchet -> plenty ammo for both (okay dark elf has to find a bow or crossbow. No big deal, if you picked TH that is. Who wouldn't?). However, Find Weakness or no Find Weakness, archers always ROFLSTOMP.

Soirana
09-04-2011, 06:36 AM
You took twice the turns and used, what, 20 prayers?

[edit]If you're going to take 80000 turns to finish Darkforge, you might as well at least use a bard and do it at level 1.

level 1 bard should do in 2k max i think. Well if you exclude some preparational work:)

minchazo
09-12-2011, 10:50 PM
My favorite is still a Dark Elf Thief. Not because they live long, but mostly 'cause I want the mental image of 'gifting' a couple daggers to Drizzt. One per kidney ;)

Now I just need to get one to live past level 18...

Blasphemous
06-16-2014, 10:05 AM
I had to dig this up, my necromancy skill has now increased by 15.
I had a good reason though.
With the current prerelease program going, new races and classes, I suspect people might change their minds about their fav r/c combos.
A rediscovery of mine, I now thoroughly enjoy playing mindcrafters, typically elven (grey or dark).
With the late game powers being so amazing, I got so used to having a confusion blast that I actually tried to use it while playing other classes and when it didn't work out, I remembered I'm not a mindcrafter anymore.
Also monk is probably the runner up with all those movement cost reductions, wall kicking, scroll writing and insta-gibbing stuff.
Honorable mention goes to ratling duelists, as I've played that combination twice, both closed the gate.
One had executor and in the late game it was truly a beast in melee.
I didn't even need to worry about being aged by ghosts because of all the DV bonuses and 1-hit wonders.
One downside is ranged combat - either spells or missiles.
Poor duelists fare badly in both areas but they make up for it somewhat in their stellar melee proficiency.
I used to play wizards a LOT and this was my favorite class but not anymore.

grobblewobble
06-16-2014, 10:20 AM
Honorable mention goes to ratling duelists, as I've played that combination twice, both closed the gate.

Duelists are definitely a new fav. Not ratlings, though. I've come to like dwarves and drakelings mostly. Hurthlings have lost a lot of appeal to me since it's harder now to raise strength.

mewmew
06-16-2014, 11:48 AM
My favorite race is dark elf, for sure.
As for class... I like to shoot things in games so it's probably archer. Most of my ADoM characters are decent in shooting things though.

anon123
06-17-2014, 03:51 AM
I still like dark elf wizards.

Blasphemous
06-17-2014, 09:23 AM
I see a lot of people playing mist elves so apparently it's a well liked race.
I played the race a few times but ultimately I think the advantages don't offset the drawbacks so I don't play them anymore.

paivi
06-17-2014, 12:35 PM
I like mist elven weaponsmiths. I name them all Fëanor. Their life expectancy is about what you'd expect.

Easiest and most enjoyable race/class to play? Mist elven wizards, once past the awkward early game stage.

06-17-2014, 07:30 PM
It's hard to pick a favorite, but lately I've liked human duelists. My last one could kill doppleganger kings in melee without a problem. He had a great weapon- an eternium axe of devastation or something like that, but was able to upgrade to Executor, and closing the gate became a cakewalk. Duelists have also taught me about inventory/encumbrance management...that's always been my weakness in ADOM.