PDA

View Full Version : Steel Zombie

Doorsfan
01-06-2010, 11:41 PM
Well, i have proceeded with doing another attempt
at creating a monk and reaching for whatever end i see fit.
I have managed to far to get to Dwarftown, i'm training my
stats by using herbs etc, everything is going fine. Now, the
real problem at hand, is the matter of fact, that i am unable
to proceed with completing "Kill a random monster quest" ; in
this case, im to kill a Steel Zombie.

Now, i thougt "Where would i ever find a Steel zombie. Much
less had i ever even encountered one even in the scummy
adventures of Ra (A lev 32 Dwarf Priest who was using the
save scumming technique, but im not doing that no more.)
Anyways ;

Where can i find a Steel Zombie? Any help is apprichiated, thanks.

Sami
01-06-2010, 11:44 PM
It's one of the easiest monsters that you can get. :)
Just go and find one in darkforge. If you can't find any then keep killing enemies there until you find one.

Doorsfan
01-06-2010, 11:59 PM
Thanks alot! I was not aware of that they were in Darkforge!
Thougt ill make sure i keep out of sight for the Steel Golems..
They would burn me so badly, might as well rob the place while im at it.

Doorsfan
01-07-2010, 12:13 AM
Ok, i do not know WHAT went wrong, but something went horribly, horribly, horribly wrong. I busted in, having used 1 of my 3 charges on my Blessed Wand of Teleportation. No matter, i quickly teleport to the stairs leading downwards with the 1 mentioned charge. Perfect so far.

Now comes the horrid part. So, i was standing there, aiming for the room with the pools, but a miscalculation happened. I did not account for the right amount of space it would take and hence, it said "Impossible" but still executed the teleportation (this being the second charge) - and guess what. I land in the middle room with kherab. GREAAAAAAAT - panic. Used the wand against fast as hell to get out of there, and tried to figure out a plan to not get all my gear destroyed utterly by the fact of that there is a Steel golem on the way out whom i did not kill. Think, think , think. Ok, here's the plan i went with ; i made a custom way by kicking down walls. After having broken through about what would seem half the level with kicking, i ran into a Necromancer... who already had his army up. Fiiiiiiiiine, i plow down all the damn undead and now im at a loss of what to do? Probably recharge my Wand of Teleportation with booze. or raw mana, don't know - wooe

Silfir
01-07-2010, 01:26 AM
I think it wouldn't serve you much to go back to Darkforge if you're unable to kill the golems. Usually random monsters only start to spawn once you've destroyed some, so if you want a steel zombie from there, you'll have to work for it.

Raw mana does not recharge wands. Neither does potential mana. Only booze, mana and boost mana can be used for recharging wands. I'd advise charging the wand with booze in any case; it's a very valuable wand, and good to keep charged for emergencies. Who knows what will happen?

Teleporting into the pool room is not a good idea in general since it contains water and the PC cannot teleport on top of water as far as I'm aware. This might be a possible reason your teleport failed. There is not much sense in jumping into the pool room anyway compared to the potential benefit of the weapon and armor rooms. One red dragon scale mail, one eternium two-handed sword of penetration, and killing golems becomes child's play. Okay, you won't find the latter, but you'll still get nice weapons, and artifacts are not unheard of either.

Alucard
01-07-2010, 01:28 AM
below Dwarftown

Silfir
01-07-2010, 01:33 AM
I... guess below Dwarftown, before the forest, is as good a place as any to get more powerful in oder to beat steel golems to get steel zombies to spawn. (Avoid going past the level with two down staircases to avoid getting another random monster quest.)

Unless you're referring to the rumor that quest monsters are more likely to appear there? I'm not sure if that one holds water.

Doorsfan
01-07-2010, 02:20 AM
There is not much sense in jumping into the pool room anyway compared to the potential benefit of the weapon and armor rooms. One red dragon scale mail, one eternium two-handed sword of penetration, and killing golems becomes child's play. Okay, you won't find the latter, but you'll still get nice weapons, and artifacts are not unheard of either.

I understand your line of thougt ; and i recognize that you are far more experienced regarding ADOM the me. But as for my own thougt of how to proceed, with as of why i was to teleport into the pool room, was as of simply to get the pools in question. It would not be completely unimagineable that i'd get a wish ; and if so, i would have considered the 3 charges as of usefully used. Thougt it is beyond me why i would plan on proceeding to plow down a whole army of golems as i was well aware of that i had close to no approximate chance of defeating them - hence the teleport ; it wasn't meant as a attempt to assault Darkforge, but to sneak in.

JellySlayer
01-07-2010, 02:48 AM
I understand your line of thougt ; and i recognize that you are far more experienced regarding ADOM the me. But as for my own thougt of how to proceed, with as of why i was to teleport into the pool room, was as of simply to get the pools in question. It would not be completely unimagineable that i'd get a wish ; and if so, i would have considered the 3 charges as of usefully used. Thougt it is beyond me why i would plan on proceeding to plow down a whole army of golems as i was well aware of that i had close to no approximate chance of defeating them - hence the teleport ; it wasn't meant as a attempt to assault Darkforge, but to sneak in.

Risky strategy going for the pools if you can't kill the golems... even if you get a wish, what happens if you lose teleport control from the pool? Or, more likely, you'll get doomed and will have to go find an altar before you can use the pools any more, costing you the teleports with little gain.

The idea is right, but I agree with Silfir here... go for the weapons and armor. There is usually at least one item there that is pretty good.

Doorsfan
01-07-2010, 05:52 AM
Good. Lord. After having gone through what i think i could easily call the most epic journey of my during my playtime of ADOM, at level 17, i finally finished the quest to kill one steel zombie.

I feel like i should share this story. After having thougt of how i would ever proceed of having failed with the Darkforge, i picked up the quest for Dwarven Graveyard, finished up there and then cleared Pyramid, etc.
Now for the insane part ; i drank from the pool in Darkforge after having gone a bit of rampant with Phase dagger + higher level and being able to plow down Steel Golems. Now comes the funny part, i drink from the pool and gain Teleportis (teleport sickness) and i have TP since earlier due to a BD corpse.

That's all awesome. Thougt i get sick from the water after pushing my luck and due to the corrupting nature of Darkforge, i get a corruption ; and hey, guess what, it's the poisonous hands one! Yay! Can't take herbs or potions to cure the sickness and eating with minimal satiation is starting to get on my nerves. Right, so how do you beat a sickness, while not running out of food, and yet somehow removing the corruption too? Well, first i thougt of it simple ; Thick Gauntlets.

Awesome. When im just strolling about having my gloves on, and don't think of eating a herb to cure the disease, my gloves burn away due to a ochre jelly.. Yay. So what i got is a sickness, a corruption that now prevents most of my actions and a ticking time bomb on my hands. So, what im forced to do is find a scroll of Chaos Resistance.. I realize that i forgot the black druid (did that q instead of carpenter) corpse, and after this many rounds it's probably rotten, 100% sure of it ; so where to find a scroll guaranteed?

HMV! So, my journey goes from CoC level 12 to HMV going through UD with a Necromancer that is really buff, and so was his minions. But somehow, despite some close-to-death possibilities, i get through, and i get into the city. TC + Teleportis makes me able to get inside the hidden house and get scroll - but wait.. the scroll is cursed!

Damn. it. And i've got 2 scrolls with gibberish on it, and i did have a scroll of identify (cursed) but it worked, i managed to pick the right scrol out and by luck i had picked up a scroll of uncursing! Woot! I managed to get rid of the disease + corruption! Hungering for vengance and having become severely bitter by the events, i decided to DESTROY Darkforge. And so i did. I ventured inside, and one by one, i slew ALL of the Steel Golems with my phase dagger, even thougt it broke - i kept on slaying them in pure anger.

At that, i recieved a new corruption ; seeing how i spent so much time in Darkforge.. But this time, it was close to the best corruption ; +6 DV and half weight! All i could think of that was missing was now the items of the armory! I found a black dragonhide armor and blue dragonhide in the armory, in the weaponary i found.. well.. Let's just say that i found a 2h eternium sword with something like 7d6 +18 min dmg as best. ;)

Anywho, i slew Golem after golem and finally after all this, indeed, after ALL OF THIS, for one single god forsaken mob, i slew a Steel Zombie and i may now proceed! Thanks for all the tips and insight of the people and for reading!

Al-Khwarizmi
01-07-2010, 08:44 AM
When sickness is giving you problems as in this case, it can be very very useful to go back to Jharod, in case you haven't done the druid's quest. He will cure sickness for you (although you had other problems in this case that couldn't be solved that way).

Also, I stand by that rumour that if you go to the level straight below DT right after getting the random monster quest, you almost always find the said monster.

Silfir
01-07-2010, 09:21 AM
He already mentioned the black druid corpse rotting - Jharod is out. I would've tried eating cursed curaria, if available, since it still has a very good chance to heal (poison hands only curses food). It's a shame you had to use that SoCR uncursed instead of blessed, but without thick gauntlets you were indeed out of options.

(Incidentally, if at this point you do not have curaria mancox or other herbs, you should seriously look into getting them.)

Killing steel golems with a broken phase dagger in pure, unbridled rage is pretty cool stuff though :) The eternium two-handed sword is the least you can expect of the weapons room. It's not exactly the jackpot though. It should be kept in mind that it isn't necessarily any better than your phase dagger. 25-48 base damage compared to the ability to wear a shield and bypass any PV score (which for endgame monsters can be much higher than 25) turns out lacking. It's the magical eternium two-handed swords that I'd really wet my pants for. But even one phase dagger easily keeps you going during the endgame, you just have to take care it doesn't get destroyed. (I'd unbreak it at some point too.)

Grey
01-07-2010, 07:43 PM
Also, I stand by that rumour that if you go to the level straight below DT right after getting the random monster quest, you almost always find the said monster.

Funny how this doesn't work on my copy of ADOM ;)

I like to stick by a more grounded rule - if Thrundarr gives you a rare quest monster then tell him to go screw himself and carry on with the game as your please. None of the dwarven quests are necessary excel the portal one, so there's no need to risk your life or engage in boring activity to complete them.

Silfir
01-07-2010, 09:11 PM
I wish there actually were a command like that - Ctrl+f: "Tell target to go fuck him/her/itself". I'd use it all the time.

gut
01-07-2010, 11:53 PM
> None of the dwarven quests are necessary excel the portal one,

It's not.

Doorsfan
01-08-2010, 02:27 AM
I'd probably use that command too if it excisted Silfir - thougt i do that casually in ADOM. Just that it takes the form of a Anvil and it involved being thrown upon people. Poor tiny girl. Suffered so many brutal fates by my hand. Im thinking of making a youtube video where i'm to show all of the bizarre ways i've killed her.. (My latest invention is that i was to throw the candy she gives in reward on her till she dies of it)

Silfir
01-08-2010, 02:32 AM
Doorsfan, what you're doing is despicable and cruel. You should be ashamed of yourself.

... Why didn't I think of it first, dammit

Doorsfan
01-08-2010, 02:35 AM
Haha - Cheers Silfir. I acctualy take pride in what i do - supposivly cause my ignorance stretches to such a degree that i can't grasp the thougt of shame regarding it. :P When are you going to make more videos, by the way? I watched both of your videos on youtube and on merely those 2 i learned quite a bit - and i do love your truly deceptive way of turning Matter of knowledge into RP elements.

Like how your character had turned bitter by the events of her birth, where as of you acctualy knew of the effects and that it was a planned route. Truly deceptive. :P

Silfir
01-08-2010, 02:50 AM
Dude, I just uploaded two videos ;) I sneak attacked you there, didn't I?

These are the last until I get a decent microphone or something, that I can say. I hate the crackling noises.