PDA

View Full Version : "Oops" moments

Sadface
02-17-2010, 12:43 PM
Those times when you really know you messed up - yeah.
After creating a box of doors to contain a breeder in the big room,
I sort of got trapped trying to leave the breeder in the box, and
zapped wands trying to find something to help me get out, like
teleportation or webbing. Instead the first wand I zap is one of
Trap Creation, and it creates an ACID trap. Oh, damn. Dammity
damn-damn.

JellySlayer
02-17-2010, 01:41 PM
I was fighting the skeletal king in HoTHK with a doomed ranger. Dropped my gear, made a small ice bridge, opened him up. We fought for awhile, I hit him with some undead slaying arrows. One landed on the bridge, the rest on dry land. I got hurt and ran to my loot pile, grabbed everything and healed myself. Skeletal king panicked, so I decided I'd go grab my undead slayers and finish him off with those. When I grabbed the last one, I saw "The ice below you creaks..."

lotuskip
02-17-2010, 01:56 PM
The last two times I've seriously been going for an ultra, I have absent-mindedly shot a fleeing assassin in the assassins' guild.

Dudley
02-17-2010, 02:08 PM
Cat displacing monster, anyone?

Sami
02-17-2010, 02:19 PM
The last two times I've seriously been going for an ultra, I have absent-mindedly shot a fleeing assassin in the assassins' guild.

It's not a problem. IIRC assassin prince still gives the quest even if he's hostile but you're better to survive against him for that turn. :)

moomoo
02-17-2010, 02:26 PM
My most memorable one was missfiring a magic missile at d:50. Shook my head in despair for 5 minutes, now I think its just laughable.

Sadface
02-17-2010, 03:42 PM
The first oops moment presented by me has been nullified >.>;; I
uh...found an ochre ooze. :p

Doorsfan
02-17-2010, 03:56 PM
Dying due to failing to realize that you have the "Switch Place with Hostile Monster" ability when you're with a newly dinged lev 23 Monk, being the only char that got that far. Yep. Or the time i zapped a wand to test, in DT, and it turns out ot be trap creation. At least that stupid dwarven child got what he had comin'.

Saracen
02-17-2010, 04:07 PM
I was just in MT couple hours ago with my bard, first one ever who managed that far. I started to fight Nuraag when i realized i had forgotten to swap my AMW on.... energy bolt slicing through your body...you die.

Dudley
02-17-2010, 04:25 PM
more a ...i couldn't do anything situation : facing a lesser vaut of ooze, without artifacts/adamantium/ eternium weapons.... ^^and no missile guy ^^flee and come bck later

Al-Khwarizmi
02-17-2010, 04:34 PM
Piranha lake. Creating the ice bridge, forgetting to drop the loot, stepping forward, and even before seeing "the ice creaks", thinking "oh damnitdamnitDAMNITDAMNIT". Happened to me two times.

The thing with the magic missile also happened to me several times.

Accidentally casting fireball instead of fire bolt and damaging a pet greater earth elemental.

Sami
02-17-2010, 04:39 PM
Using mana orb to boost mana just before asking the greater white unicorn to remove all my corruptions. I thought it was a good idea until I noticed that I made a little miscalculation...

Albahan
02-17-2010, 04:46 PM
One time when i was fighting the Skeletal King in the TotHK i set my stuff down, woke him up and then retreated back across my bridge and decided to cast fireball... forgetting that it had enough range to burn up plenty of my equipment

Overheat
02-17-2010, 08:41 PM
Praying for food when low on piety on D:49. After firing one arrow to get off the stairs from D:48. Getting everything cursed is quite the bother, especially when one has a short bow wielded with no arrows left.

kraya
02-18-2010, 08:42 AM
Throwing a lightning bolt at a frikkin kobold standing next to a wall in the earth temple. Wouldnt you know that the bounce would destroy my only pair of 7LBs.

Irinka
02-18-2010, 09:03 AM
Piranha lake. Creating the ice bridge, forgetting to drop the loot, stepping forward, and even before seeing "the ice creaks", thinking "oh damnitdamnitDAMNITDAMNIT". Happened to me two times.

I made this mistake once or twice too, but once, I surpassed myself. I went to the lake, dropped my equipment next to it and then took one step ahead:
"Do you want to dive in the water?" the game asked
I said: "Sure, why not"
Then I remembered why not, but it was already a bit too late...

Al-Khwarizmi
02-18-2010, 10:38 AM
I made this mistake once or twice too, but once, I surpassed myself. I went to the lake, dropped my equipment next to it and then took one step ahead:
"Do you want to dive in the water?" the game asked
I said: "Sure, why not"
Then I remembered why not, but it was already a bit too late...

Heh, that's what I did the first time I reached that point (unspoiled). I thought it was lava, but thought, heh, it won't hurt me much, I have fire resistance...

By the way, welcome to the forum.

Irinka
02-18-2010, 04:41 PM
Thanks for welcoming, I've been lurking for quite a long time, just had nothing to say before. Stupid mistakes are always a good choice for a first post ;)

nathrakh
02-18-2010, 05:10 PM
Using wizard "recharge wands" class power for the first time half-accidently. Decided to 'cancel' it like you can cancel wands of far slaying etc. by entering value of 0.

H: -4938(403)

Grey
02-18-2010, 05:33 PM
Trying to paste in a long string of whipping commands to get my ultra-ready L50 char to L+ so I could claim my very first victory as a ULE... and accidently x-ing out of the window.

BenMathiesen
02-19-2010, 10:59 AM

This happened to me once, too. The astonishing thing (to me anyway) was that my character actually survived it! I thought it was instant death, but it's only a few hundred HP of damage per round. It was
just one square of water, and he scrambled to shore with a few HP left.

Ben

nathrakh
02-24-2010, 04:45 PM
"What do you wish for?"

- books of teleportation

"Strange flux blaablaablaa.."

Your equipment feels heavier.

wand of teleportation, wand of teleportation.

tl;dr: books != spellbooks

Sadface
02-24-2010, 06:00 PM
Decided to go through DH instead of the forest.

What do I find on my monster-detection-radar?

A tension room of hydras and fire giants. Neither
one is near the stairs, so I decide to dig to the
stairs. I was welcomed to the stair room by a
greater blue wyrm :eek:

"Oops" indeed =P

(Though I could probably survive running by it,
I have fire and shock immunity thanks to leather
armor)

*And now I wonder how much piety a greater
blue wyrm is worth for a level 16... :D

Maul
02-24-2010, 06:33 PM
Confusion resistance - got some?

Orbic
02-24-2010, 06:48 PM
oops.
Trying a (boringly) lawful dwarf paladin, and intending to remain L or + through the game.
It is getting tough... 2 blessed fireproof blankets burnt in the tower first floors, so I changed my plans and went down the caverns. DH to save time convenient as there is a white altar in the room above.
Dive --> tension room next to the stairs, A buch of white unicorns.
RNG is having a laugh with this dwarf for sure.
The big white U hit like a ton of bricks, teleport everywhere and try to destroy the L alignment.
Changed plans, darkforge pool sipping gave intrisic invisibility: of course the U sees invisible.
The dwarf took the long way, and mischievously brought the sheep back up (easy at first, then as cowardly as possible as it levelled and levelled madly - did I mention a giants vault on the way up?)

Sucker. White Us do team up with the sheep to bash the deaf dwarf. They must be deaf AND blind.
This is when the dwarf decided to retreat.
No idea what to do next... the old dwarf gave a shield instead of nice items. Maybe ID for a blanket?
Food consumption seems way to high for a quick tower bash, with limited teleportation means (1 wand). Silly artifacts...

Travis Prue
02-25-2010, 12:21 AM
My high elven archer took out the vault in the bottom level of the puppy cave with only four hp remaining (no healing and a RIVER I might add). Desperate to not die, I started drinking potions. First potion was a potion of blindness. I hit 4 instead of 5 and drown. ;_;

vogonpoet
02-25-2010, 01:05 PM
more a ...i couldn't do anything situation : facing a lesser vaut of ooze, without artifacts/adamantium/ eternium weapons.... ^^and no missile guy ^^flee and come bck later

A bit late here i know, but adamantium will also corrode in a jelly vault. Stone is your early game friend.

nathrakh
03-06-2010, 12:04 AM
http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/7506/hellogreatertitans.png

JellySlayer
03-06-2010, 12:09 AM
Titans can't see in darkness, I think. It will probably add 3-4 corruptions to clear them all (class/weapon dependent), but you'll get probably 10 million xp for it.

nathrakh
03-06-2010, 12:11 AM
Already won with that PC. (http://ancardia.ath.cx/adom_users/nathrakh/fooslaye.flg)

Didn't kill any of them... because it still has some risks. Like, monsters see in doorways, they can attack you if cornered/blocked escape etc.

Irinka
03-06-2010, 12:18 AM
my trollish barb just died because I forgot to put AMW when fighting Nuurag. I remembered that when I saw him, but it was too late and he killed me with his death ray (almost) instantly
It wasn't really an "ooops" moment. It was an "ooops, what have i done omgomg I'm gonna die.." moment- I had few turns to do something about it... unfortunately, I had some good ideas only after I died :(

nathrakh
03-06-2010, 12:27 AM
my trollish barb just died because I forgot to put AMW when fighting Nuurag. I remembered that when I saw him, but it was too late and he killed me with his death ray (almost) instantly
It wasn't really an "ooops" moment. It was an "ooops, what have i done omgomg I'm gonna die.." moment- I had few turns to do something about it... unfortunately, I had some good ideas only after I died :(

At that point you should have stopped and came to #adom on freenode. ;-)

But sorry for your loss.

Al-Khwarizmi
03-06-2010, 09:47 AM
Yeah, I once found a similar horde of them in the BDC and I killed several, but I ended up getting the hell out of there because it was too risky due to panic, blind rages and so on, apart from the corruption.

kraya
03-06-2010, 02:05 PM

Exactly what happened to my weaponsmith. I killed a few WMoPCs, a bunch of Annihilators and Chaos Servants at the entrance of the temple - But couldnt see Nuurgy anywhere, so went in deeper into the temple and shot a few wands and retreated, diagonal to the entrance. There was one square between me and the Greater Chaos Servant on the doorway and I was waiting for him to come next to me to whack him - when I grew a wart. I was all "WTF?" And then my muscles softened and I realized what was going on. I ran for dear life to the room where you enter and put on the AMW>
I had actally had the See INvisible intrinsic but had lost it pool sipping and it completely slipped my mind

Doorsfan
03-06-2010, 06:20 PM
I've had a char die due to not checking my HP + swimming. There is no "Do you really want to dive into the water without knowing how to swim? Y/N" when you're in darkness.