While PCAlive = TRUE
CreateStoneBlockTrap
CreateVortex
IncreaseChanceRatSickness
Decrease iToHit
Decrease iLuckIntrinsic
KillHim/HerAllCosts
End
This is the source code in simplest form ;pThese are hardly the rules for ADOM. But I have idea to make a simpler game that is basically just these rules, where it actually does try to do things like this on nearly every turn or so, and without much else (other than what it implies (of course), and some of the normal game stuff, too). However, the algorithm for "KillHim/HerAllCosts" is not specified. If you can make suggestion, I might do so.

yisk
02-22-2010, 09:38 AM
i understand nothing .-.

vogonpoet
02-22-2010, 11:22 AM
Err, perhaps Theym was amused by this thread? (http://www.adom.de/forums/showthread.php?p=37210)

It was just a throw away joke though, I never got round to working up a function for KillHimHerAllCosts.

Meanwhile, in response to the wording of the poll in this thread: English motherfucker, do you speak it?

zzo38
02-22-2010, 06:22 PM
Meanwhile, in response to the wording of the poll in this thread: English motherfucker, do you speak it?I can speak English, but not English motherfucker.

nathrakh
02-22-2010, 07:29 PM
This thread amuses me.

Silfir
02-22-2010, 09:11 PM
Do you know how they call a quarter pounder with cheese in France, vogonpoet?

The Metro Gnome
02-23-2010, 02:13 AM
Since when do they have a Mc'Fatties in Frence?

gut
02-23-2010, 08:24 AM
I did read the OP thrice in an effort to discover
what is hard to understand about it. I then thought
that maybe some edit magic was happening, but
his post has no 'this post was edited' message.
Exactly what is improper about his English?

>The signature of the user Theym contains the following:
>>While PCAlive = TRUE
>>CreateStoneBlockTrap
>>End

>These are hardly the rules for ADOM.

So far it seems clear. He cites an oversimple exageration of ADOM.

> But I have idea to make a simpler game that is basically just these rules,
> where it actually does try to do things like this on nearly every turn

Thinking about trying to bring the idea to fruition.

> or so, and without much else (other than what it implies (of course),
> and some of the normal game stuff, too).

There must be some semblance of a game of
course, but minimal.

> However, the algorithm for "KillHim/HerAllCosts" is not specified.
> If you can make suggestion, I might do so.

He doesn't want to discover hot water, so he asks if anything like
this already exists. If it doesn't, and there is sufficient interest,
he may be willing to create it all from scratch.

???

Silfir
02-23-2010, 09:43 AM
I think vogonpoet was referring to the poll itself. "Opinion? Yes, No, Maybe?" Does he mean to ask if I have an opinion?

vogonpoet
02-23-2010, 11:12 AM
Doh, this seems to have backfired... yeah I just meant the poll:

Title: Hardly the rules for ADOM
Question: Opinion?
Options: Yes, No, Maybe!

Really, what am I to make of that?

And the English motherfucker thing is just a stupid random internet meme usually attached to a screen cap taken from pulp fiction whenever something lacking overall comprehension is posted on a message board. It is not generally used as an attack on the language abilities of the poster, but rather an attack on a particular post where something seems missing, such as the poll attached to this thread. Sadly I am too lazy to even hotlink images, let alone host them somewhere useful, so I just hoped the quote would be enough to express my opinion that the poll is kinda vague.

Whatever.

Next time I will just vote Maybe! and keep my mouth shut.

meh
02-23-2010, 11:38 AM
I've seen plenty of posts on this forum written in far worse English than anything here.

Sadface
02-23-2010, 12:14 PM
Like all those shoe and..."other" spam. <<shudder>>

Irinka
02-23-2010, 01:04 PM
Oh come on, everybody has something to say about language of the post, but nothing about the idea.

I voted "No", not because I don't have any opinion, but because in my opinion your idea is not very interesting. Roguelikes are difficult, but not impossible to win, and even though sometimes the game hates you and wants you to die, you still have a chance (well, most of times) to win. Game in which you have no chance of winning is not fun at all - it's masochism.
But maybe it's just me and other people love such games....

Sadface
02-23-2010, 01:48 PM
I voted maybe because I sort of get the idea, I think, and would
have some suggestions, but most of them are kinda silly.

Dudley
02-23-2010, 02:42 PM
Have voted yes, because adom is too simple for wizard. an algorythm could be the one coding the Luck runs out one? i think TB has done that.

*Starts wondering what the emperor moloch looks like with that thing on*
*starts wondering HOW THE HELL DO I ACTIVATE IT? I PLAYED WITH SAVEFILES ALOT, FOR FUN, all died btw, and... nth*

Orbic
02-24-2010, 08:06 PM
Voted NO.
Because I had NO idea what I was voting for.

They call it a Big Mac by the way ;)

The Metro Gnome
02-24-2010, 10:08 PM
Didn't vote, but has another addition to it

Createrunetrappeddoors
Createdarkelvenwizards if almostdead is true

Silfir
02-24-2010, 11:12 PM
Let's get real for just a moment. Even with a wizard, ADOM is not simple. From the perspective of players with years of experience and several won games, yes, the game can become "too simple" to some extent - they know most (if never trully all) of the tools in the toolbox, near every monster they meet they have already beaten, or at least faced before and lived. The experienced players have seen every item and figured out or heard of the best uses for them, they have studied the techniques and strategies that help them brave the crucial challenges in the game.

Just... don't forget how it started. I was a newbie once. I kept dying and dying for hundreds of games before I even reached Dwarftown. I kept on because the game was challenging, to me, but not to the point where I felt it was useless to keep trying.

ADOM is a challenging game, to the core; it requires patience, strategic and tactical thinking, and experience, and not to forget, the ability to realize that it's not the game that's trying to kill you; the things that kill you are there, and it's up to you to avoid them and deal with them, and to accept that while sometimes you can't avoid death, most of the times, you could have.

When I think of new players entering the forum, I don't really want them to have to read things like "playing with a wizard is too simple" or "missiles are OP" or anything of the sort and think "Wow, I must be really bad at this game". Above all, I want new players to realize that nevermind what they do, it's the right way as long as they don't die, and they have fun - deciding which changes to make in order to stop dying is an exercise left to the individual.

So, for the record: No, ADOM is not "too simple" with a wizard. It might not be challenging enough for the "veteran" player (for some degree of challenge, don't enter the ID at all), but it certainly is challenging enough for anyone else. And that's enough.

gut
02-25-2010, 06:36 AM
ADOM is too easy! Sure, I memorized the GB and intensively
studied every demo and strategy guide I could find, but still,
it only took me a few years to beat it.

> These are hardly the rules for ADOM. But
> I have idea to make a simpler game that
> is basically just these rules
vote: yes/no/maybe

I got it on the first read, and I miss the obvious more than Silfir : )

vogonpoet
02-25-2010, 07:57 AM
@Silfir: Agreed. ADOM is pretty damn hard. And why bother coming into threads and trashing people for using magic or missiles when its a single player game which people play for fun, in which magic and missiles are featured. I mean, whatever.

/I am grumpy.

Anyway, on topic, a simple game which is much harder than ADOM with no chance of success which gets harder and harder? Whats wrong with eternium man without a pet, or brimstone man?