PDA

View Full Version : Lots of old PC games

Sradac
03-20-2010, 05:29 AM
Here's a list of old PC games or PC games you cant find in stores anymore that I MIGHT be putting up on ebay soon. Figured I'd put this list here first since I know you guys can appreciate a good game. Not putting up prices because 1 these arent for sale, not yet at least, and 2 Im not trying to turn this forum into a market that people go to to sell crap. But like I said rather give you guys first dibs if I decide to sell these instead of having some mass buyer on ebay buy them up and sell them for twice as much. If you are seriously interested in any of these let me know though.

They're all in english, all are US versions unless otherwise stated.

This is more of a gauging interest than a for sale. I have a lot of old PC games that you cant find anymore other than on ebay. None of these are burned copies, all are legally bought. Some I still have the original packaging for, others I might only have the jewel case for. Jewel case ones will obviously be cheaper.

All the mechwarrior 2 games. You can find mechwarrior 2 for like 10 bucks on ebay sure, but go do a search for the titanium trilogy. I have MW2, Mercenaries, Ghost Bears Legacy, Titanium Trilogy, and a couple of releases that have had misc graphical updates to most of these titles. I'll have to check to see exactly which ones they are.

mechwarrior 3
mechwarrior 4
Dark Reign 1 & 2
Planescape: Torment
Wizardry 8
Final Fantasy 7 PC, platinum edition
Tomb Raider 2
Ultimate Doom
Aliens vs Predator (No not the new one, the ORIGINAL one for the PC from '99)
Baldur's Gate 2 (no throne of bhaal)
Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 2
Quake
Quake 2 +both expansions
Guildwars, Nightfall, and Factions. All collectors editions.
Half-Life 1, Blue Shift, and Op For
Vampire the Masquerade: Redemption (...if I can find it...)
Sim City 2000 deluxe
Grand Theft Auto: Vice City (Yes PC version. And you can download a patch to play it online against other people )
Falcon 4.0
Starcraft + Brood Wars

I got a bunch more these are just off the top of my head.

yisk
03-21-2010, 06:09 PM
All these games can be downloaded free of charge. What kind of maniac will buy CD?

gut
03-22-2010, 07:18 AM
People do. I don't, but people do.

foxfire29
03-23-2010, 10:29 PM
huh , planescape torment can be downloaded free of charge? Are we talking truely legit free here?? I will definatly need to check that out as torments a good game

Silfir
03-24-2010, 12:02 AM
Some of that stuff is what is called "abandonware". It's not "legit", more of a "no one cares if you steal it" issue. For some of those, at least. If you should steal stuff just because you can get away is an exercise left to yourself.

gut
03-24-2010, 02:25 AM
> It's not "legit", more of a "no one cares if you steal it" issue

Sometimes you can't pay even if you are willing. For instance, a
game called 'Companions of Xanth' simply wasn't available for me
to purchase some years ago. No one had any interest in promoting
or even carrying it. I was willing to buy it, but could find not one
seller. Not a company, not a person, nothing. Things may be
different now, but sometimes a filesharing proggy is the only
option.

vogonpoet
03-24-2010, 07:40 AM
I thought the title to this thread would mean old old games, like the original PC version of Populous in all its CGA glory, SimCity (no need to add classic here), Xenon2 - Megablast, or maybe new old stuff like Wolfenstein 3D, and lemmings. Or older shareware classics like Jeff Minter's Llamatron, and Moraff's World. Games with options for CGA, EGA or VGA, and which told you on start up things like "You have 578k of free memory, thats 89k more than you need, thats gnarly!".

These are much newer old games. I am disappoint.

/lawn, etc.

Sradac
03-27-2010, 04:03 PM
Really didnt think anyone would want games that you had to have a B: drive to load up those giant disks in. I have simcity, crystal caverns, jungle jill, drakkhen, wolf3d, battle chess, several others.

Grey
03-27-2010, 05:55 PM
Battle Chess! Loved that game to bits...

vogonpoet
03-27-2010, 07:12 PM
Battle Chess FTW indeed :)

gut
03-27-2010, 07:18 PM
Agreed. That's what we did in tech school instead
of studying. At the time, we had a 33 mhz, 44 mhz,
and a 66 mhz, and you couldn't hardly stand to
play on anything save the 66 without going mad.
Good days :D

vogonpoet
03-27-2010, 07:22 PM
8 MHz, and we tied onions to our belts, cos that was the style at the time.

Grey
03-27-2010, 07:41 PM
I had an Amiga 1200 - greatest computing machine of my life. Ran at 14Mhz, but I added Fast RAM to pump it up to 28 MHZ!!!

Silfir
03-27-2010, 07:54 PM
Holy crap! Battle Chess was awesome.

Slowest machine I owned was a 286 with CGA graphics. I was only six years old, so I don't know how fast the thing was.

gut
03-28-2010, 08:39 PM
If we go for slowest owned, mine was commador 64,
and was also around 5 or 6 ish.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commodore_64

http://i40.tinypic.com/254zq4x.jpg

vogonpoet
03-29-2010, 12:24 PM
Hmm, 8MHz was first PC, a crappy Amstrad 8086 XT which nonetheless had a VGA screen - just checked it was a 1988ish Amstrad PC2086.

The first proper computer we had was an Acorn Electron though, with its 32K of RAM and a top speed of 2MHz. Damn those were the days - I would have killed for a C64 back then.

edit:
Meanwhile, just to round things off, I have two PCs at work, my regular Windows XP hunk of crap, and a glorious IBM PS/2 Model 80, which is connected to my ICP/MS, and which runs SCO's (may they burn in hell) XENIX operating system.

JellySlayer
03-29-2010, 04:37 PM
Here's a list of old PC games or PC games you cant find in stores anymore that I MIGHT be putting up on ebay soon.

You have excellent choice in games. I've played several of these, and many are a lot of fun. I think some of them (baldur's gate for example) can still be purchased online direct from the supplier, but I'm not 100% positive.

Wizardry 8

I love this series, and was really happy this one came out. If the battle system was a bit less clunky and the level scaling balance fixed a bit, this would probably have been the best in the series. As it is, I like Wiz 7 better. One of these days I'll have to take the time to play Wiz 4, which I've heard has quite a reputation.

Great game. I wish they had done a better job making this more PC friendly rather than basically a straight port from PS to PC.

One of the best RPGs I've ever played. I didn't care that much for the expansion; you didn't miss much.

Quake
Quake 2 +both expansions

Both great games.

I like this game, and the competitive aspect was very well done (although the learning curve for that is pretty steep). Nightfall was okay, never did factions.

Half-Life 1

I don't dare count how many hours of my life were consumed by this...

Starcraft + Brood Wars

See: Half-life. The fact that this game is still being played by a huge community of players is really testament to how good it is.

BlkDucky
05-22-2010, 07:34 PM
mechwarrior 3
mechwarrior 4
Dark Reign 1 & 2
Planescape: Torment
Wizardry 8
Tomb Raider 2
Ultimate Doom
Aliens vs Predator (No not the new one, the ORIGINAL one for the PC from '99)
Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 2
Quake
Quake 2 +both expansions
Half-Life 1, Blue Shift, and Op For
Vampire the Masquerade: Redemption (...if I can find it...)
Sim City 2000 deluxe
Grand Theft Auto: Vice City (Yes PC version. And you can download a patch to play it online against other people )
Falcon 4.0
Starcraft + Brood Wars

Bolded are one's I've played/beaten. :D

Started (and completed) Half-Life 1 yesterday. Can't tell you how many times I've played through that game. :D

MrNiceguy
05-26-2010, 07:40 AM
If we're throwing around old games we've played, I couldn't tell you how many countless hours I have sunk into TIE Fighter. I literally broke two different joysticks over the course of 2 years. The best was in college when I'd sneak into a classroom in the evening and play on the classroom PC connected to the video projector. The later sequels - X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter and X-Wing Alliance just never seemed as good. XvsT was focused too much on multi-player in an age when most people were on dial-up, and Alliance had too many "sit in the turret and shoot down incoming missiles" missions. Nobody seems to be doing simulator-style space shooters anymore. Too bad, as that's one of my favorite game styles. I've spent a lot of time with the old Wing Commander:Privateer and Freespace 1 and 2. (now there's a franchise that needs to be revived)

I also played a lot of an obscure isometric shooter called Crusader: No Remorse. Got the demo on the disc in a copy of PCGamer, and for some reason, it caught my attention enough that I bought the game.

I also loved the old LucasArts adventure games. Monkey Island, The Dig, Sam and Max Hit the Road, Full Throttle... The genre was basically dead for about a decade, but lately it actually seems to be making a bit of a comeback. I've got seasons 1 and 2 of the new episodic Sam and Max game series, and they're awesome. The puzzles aren't too ridiculously obscure, and the Sam and Max humor hasn't faded a bit.