PDA

View Full Version : Cool story, bro.

nathrakh
03-23-2010, 04:04 PM
Sorry for all non-Finnish people, but I can only share this like this: SAATANAN PERKELE!

I went to buy SEUTULIPPU(tm) (a kind of card used to travel with busses. It cost 79 euros (RAGINGLY high cost), 73e a month + 6 euros for the "opening payment" (I don't know how to say it in English), so I plug my credit card to the slot to pay with it, then I enter my password (combination of 4 digits), and get an ERROR. I got huuuge blackout and froze. I tried again, no. Again no. Account closed... So I say sorry and the clerk says it's ok, it can happen to anyone.

So I go to my bank by foot (~2km there and back), open the account and it should work now ok. I remember my real password on the way... so I'm back at the bus station, stick my card to the slot and... Account closed. Are.. you... kidding.. me? That machine must think I'm a frikkin criminal. My rage-o-meter increases very high and I'm about to burst.... Can't help. I need that bus card..! (if I buy a ticket everytime, it'd cost me 8,20 euros from my place to the city and back)!

So I walk to the bank again... btw. There's a long line.... So I wait and wait. Finally get my turn and I re-open the account, but also withdraw 80 euros to pay by fucking cash this time. Walk back to the bus station.. finally get the card... Now I understand that this isn't much compared to some other people's problems but I still want to share it.

To not let this thread be only a whine post of one person, please share what made YOU rage today. (Hopefully nothing, but everyone gets pleasure when they read of other's misery)... atleast I do.. and Silfir probably.

Silfir
03-23-2010, 05:23 PM
73 euros for a month's bus ticket? Are the seats polstered with cashmere or something? I pay 120 for a six month ticket, and I can ride trains with it. Though that one is a special thing for unversity students.

Can't really laugh at that story either because I had the exact same thing happen to me once. Forgot my bank's debit card PIN number and managed to completely forget it. Had to pay 5 euros for a new one with a new number. I was not pleased.

Also: Riveting tale, chap.

nathrakh
03-23-2010, 05:29 PM
but everyone gets pleasure when they read of other's misery)... atleast I do.. and Silfir probably.

I see you didn't decline this.. :-)

warheart
03-23-2010, 06:27 PM
Oh, perkele, the memories! I used to hear that word kinda a lot back when I played WoW, hehe...

Silfir
03-23-2010, 06:45 PM
Depends on the misery. If it is actual misery rather than a "minor inconvenience you brought upon yourself", I don't tend to take pleasure in that, no.

gut
03-24-2010, 02:33 AM
Why no cars?

vogonpoet
03-24-2010, 07:29 AM
Why no cars?

Ha, I actually lolled :)

nathrakh
03-24-2010, 08:09 PM
What made me rage today:

We had a new teacher at the course (luckily she won't be coming back!).. the days was quite short actually (~6 hours) but SHE was so annoyingly slow and boring that it almost felt like it lasted a lot longer..

She taught about different learning methods and how people learn differently, we did some tests to see our preferred learning method and some other stuff... It was all so boring.. she was also clearly a beginner at teaching/giving lectures. She froze frequently and had problems making clever sentences all the time. She talked about irrevelant shit a lot and so on.

I also felt slight nausea throughtout the whole day, despite eating a healthy breakfast as usual (porridge and rye bread)..

Quite mild rage compared to my previous whine but still... Share your rage, share your pain.

Sadface
03-24-2010, 09:56 PM
Physics lab today.

I was not particularly feeling well.

Unfortunately, two members of my lab team have made it quite clear
through their actions that they are quite willing to coast along and
copy down results instead of helping in the experiments.

...So our lab took an extra hour as they tried to figure out how to
increase the angle of an INCLINED PLANE. *feels like I'm working with idiots*

Silfir
03-25-2010, 08:37 PM
How do you increase the angle of an inclined plane? I'm a bit confused since I worked with German terms back in school. I know what a plane is, and what an incline is, so I guess the angle of an inclined plane is how inclined it is compared to a "base" plane? I guess you can increase that angle by... um... Well, since you're in a physics class, I guess you can drill a hole in the inclined plane (I), put a rocket (R) in it, orthogonally but pointing towards the plane (Y) orthogonal to the base plane (X), penetrating it at the line the inclined plane meets the base plane, and light the rocket; it will cause the inclined plane to rotate at the line in which it converges with the base plane, thereby increasing the angle of the inclined plane, like so (viewed from the side):

http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/7442/increasingangles.jpg

nathrakh
03-25-2010, 08:42 PM
http://static.blogcritics.org/09/11/27/120001/FunnyPeople.jpg

gut
03-26-2010, 06:54 AM
>>Why no cars?

>Ha, I actually lolled

At me, or with me?

I'm honestly confused why one would prefer to
pay outragious bus tickets as opposed to just
buying a car. Is riding a bus or train preferable
for some reason that escapes me?

also:

http://i42.tinypic.com/e1av4y.png

Orbic
03-26-2010, 07:27 AM
Gut's version reworked... sorry!

vogonpoet
03-26-2010, 07:36 AM
>>Why no cars?

It was just such a perfect response from a dude in Kentucky, what with the different attitudes to transportation in Europe and the US. If I lived and studied/worked in the same city, and spent most of my time in that city, your proposed potentially simple solution would just never have occurred to me, despite the fact that I do live and work in the same city, both my wife and I walk to work, the supermarket is a 3 minutes stroll away, and yet for some reason (it was a gift), we actually have a car, which every 6 months or so we have to start with jump leads due it never getting used, and which we have been considering selling for ages - maybe nathrakh could take it off our hands :)
Ouch, roll on sentence FTL
Anway, buses and trains are awesome - you can read the paper, have breakfast, and catch up on some sleep, whilst traveling someplace, without putting fellow travelers and yourself at risk.

/Sepultura seems like an interesting name for a bus ticket.

gut
03-26-2010, 09:27 AM
Where I live, we have no passenger trains, we run
no busses (except the school ones of course), there
are no taxi services, and the closest car rental agency
is 80 miles away. You HAVE to have a car, or at least
access to one via family member or friend. Closest
grocery store is ~15 miles away.

Sleeping on busses is impossible, as I tried numerous
times when in school. Maybe breakfast, if breakfast
= poptart. Trains, on the other hand... wouldn't they
be x10 noisier and less comfortable than busses???

vogonpoet
03-26-2010, 10:18 AM
Well you can always ask those uncouth guys at the front to shovel the coal less noisily :)

As for more modern trains...

chacka-ta-kung, chacka-ta-kung, chacka-ta-kung....

thats all your hear dude, just the quiet rhythmic sound of the wheels on the tracks, lulling you to sleep.

/and then the child behind you kicks your seat, and somewhere else a baby starts crying, and a bunch of young neds sadly misunderstood youths come into your carriage drinking cans of white lightning and arguing about who slept with whose girlfriend first, or vomiting into their pizzas.
//Its still a lot more relaxing than driving on the insanely busy bumper-to-bumper motorways and basically dicing with death every day.

yisk
03-26-2010, 11:41 AM
I do not like any transport. The smell of gasoline and cigarette smoke. There is always unbearably hot or very cold - the average temperature does not happen. A major railway stations are filled with various scams. :)
Cars? Not with our fuel prices...

gut
03-26-2010, 11:42 AM
> busy bumper-to-bumper motorways

City folk. When will you all learn that 2-lane highways
are the best kind. I drive half way to work most days
without seeing another vehicle. The other half of the
drive is 4-lane, and I'll see 20 to 40 vehicles on an
average day. That's during the day... driving at night,
one can almost hear the crickets chirping.

vogonpoet
03-26-2010, 01:09 PM
I can haz commute?
http://gogreendrivingschool2009.co.uk/images/very%20busy%20motorway!!!!!.jpg

/hotlink

gut
03-27-2010, 06:27 AM
Not in a million years would I deal with that.
I would sooner sleep at work.

Sradac
03-27-2010, 04:05 PM
I have to work today. that kinda makes me rage.

nathrakh
03-27-2010, 04:10 PM
edit: spam

Grey
03-27-2010, 05:57 PM
> busy bumper-to-bumper motorways

City folk. When will you all learn that 2-lane highways
are the best kind. I drive half way to work most days
without seeing another vehicle. The other half of the
drive is 4-lane, and I'll see 20 to 40 vehicles on an
average day. That's during the day... driving at night,
one can almost hear the crickets chirping.

Roads in America and Britain are very very different :)

(Though I'll also say that the American drivers I saw in Boston and New York were rude as hell!)

fazisi
03-29-2010, 09:44 PM
I would recommend if you start your car only once every 6 months to have a battery charger to give your poor battery some juice before you drain the remaining charge trying to turn it on.

Al-Khwarizmi
03-30-2010, 09:51 AM
If there is public transportation available, I strongly prefer it to a car. You can read while going somewhere, you don't have to worry about where to park (a problem here), it is less polluting, and I don't like driving anyway.

Modern trains are way more comfortable than buses. I tend to use buses to move within a city and trains to move between cities. I don't like inter-city buses because being quite tall and living in a country of dwarves, the space between seats makes me feel like a canned sardine. But that doesn't happen on trains, they have lots of space.

In the north of Europe (Scandinavia, Germany, UK, etc.) it's even better because it's generally possible to cycle to work. I really like that, as it's enough to keep reasonably fit without going out of your way to do some sports, and that means saving time for me. Unfortunately, going to work by bicycle in Spain is all but suicidal, the roads are designed for cars.

gut
03-30-2010, 10:40 AM
I'm starting to wish they ran busses here.
Really, I suppose that's just a dream though,
as sending a bus 10 miles to pick up maybe
5 passengers wouldn't be profitable.

The only way train travel is going to happen
is if one doesn't mind riding on the outside
of the train.

fazisi
03-30-2010, 06:13 PM
I like driving a car, especially if it is a manual.

I have rode a bus two-thirds across Canada: from Vancouver, BC, to Petawawa, ON. It was a boring ride, especially across the prairies.

I also have been using the bus this year to go to university. I get a semester bus pass for $40 for unlimited use of the bus system so I decided it was a pretty good investment, especially since I'm a broke ass university student.

Cyclists out here think the roads are safe enough for them because they ride all over them like the cars will get out of the way and let them be fucking idiots. Cyclists are idiots and each one that gets hit usually deserved it. That said, I have my bike in my storage unit and I haven't bothered to take it out since I moved here. I used to bike all the time when I lived in a smaller city but the larger cities are definately unsafe.

gut
03-31-2010, 04:50 AM
> especially if it is a manual

I do hate manual transmission vehicles. I had
to learn to drive on one, and the exp. still haunts
me. As if it isn't enough to have to learn all the
lanes you are supposed to be in, and when, and
trying not to get ran over by the other nut jobs
on the road, you have to worry about killing the
engine, grinding gears, and your "teacher"
chewing you out for not already knowing all
this already.

Learning on the roads of Appalachia make things
even worse, as it is rare to see a patch of level
road. When you pull out from a red light on a
steep hill, with a vehicle right behind you, you
find out how fun a manual transmission can
really be.

Give me a good automatic any day.

nathrakh
03-31-2010, 05:25 AM
Aren't all Americans supposed to be car maniacs? :rolleyes:

Al-Khwarizmi
03-31-2010, 09:04 AM
They are, but IIRC they buy more automatic cars while Europeans buy more manual cars.

To tell the truth, I'm European but I don't understand why people here like manual transmission either. Maybe it's because I work with computers, but when I learned to drive I was surprised with how crude it was. It's funny how in a computer program, when people can't do something with a couple of obvious clicks, and instead they need a right-click or an extra level of menus, they instantly complain about it being "unintuitive". And in a car, you have a lever to change gears, which is already quite low-level stuff all by itself, but then it gets even worse when you see that you need to use a pedal at the same time or the lever won't work! Come on, why people complain if a program doesn't have an obvious left-clickable button that does what they want to do, and then they don't complain about THAT?

gut
03-31-2010, 09:34 AM
My computer came with a crank and siphon hose.

On the topic of non-intuitive software, oh how I miss
the simplicity I once had with my Opera web browser.
A one click icon on my menu bar allowed me to toggle
all scripting languages on and off. Now it has been
corrupted to the point of unusability, and I'm stuck with
internet exploder.

If you disable active x, you get a vertical-space-killer
bar that tells you that you have it disabled EVERY time
any page includes active x:

"This page wants to access an active x control, do you want to allow this?" Y/n

Alternatively, enabling it gives very unwanted results.
So one can't always allow it, can't stand the prompting,
and can't disable it, because it's hidden in... is annoymaze
a word? tools/internet options/security/... and there are a
half dozen things to be toggled. Always room for an
extra search tool bar though, and exploder comes with
what, 6 by default now? Still haven't found a way to get
rid of that last nagging one, but at least the rest are dead.

Al-Khwarizmi
03-31-2010, 09:58 AM
On the topic of non-intuitive software, oh how I miss
the simplicity I once had with my Opera web browser.
A one click icon on my menu bar allowed me to toggle
all scripting languages on and off. Now it has been
corrupted to the point of unusability, and I'm stuck with
internet exploder.

I'm also a long-time Opera user, and I hate Opera 10.5x. I'm sticking with 10.10 at the moment. You can still downgrade to 10.10, and it works fine: http://www.opera.com/browser/download/?os=windows&ver=10.10&local=y

Also in 10.5x you can show the menu bars by pressing Alt or by clicking the O button, then choosing "Show menu bar" (the latter will enable them permanently). I think the options to remove most of the scripting languages are still there, although they removed the "Enable/disable Java" one. But at least the ones for sound, javascript, etc. are still there if you re-enable the menu.

Anyway, even with menu bar, they have copied chrome too much, there are things I don't like, like not being able to close the active tab with a common button that is always in the same place, so I'll use 10.10 until I can, hoping for a better version...

fazisi
03-31-2010, 07:58 PM
Try using Google Chrome.

As for the offtopic of manual transmissions though, you need an intelligent teacher who understands that you aren't born with this knowledge. You should spend time just sitting in the driveway, with your foot on the clutch and the brake with the car turned off, finding all the gears without having to look at the shifter.

Once you are familiar with all the gears, you then spend a few minutes learning where the clutch point is on your clutch so you don't stall out. Once you are familiar with this going forward, repeat the process in reverse.

Never start out on an occupied road, let alone a multi-lane street with busy traffic.

Also, on the topic of going from stationary to moving while on a hill with someone parked right up your ass, I had to do this in a old VW van with a diesel engine. The guy behind me obviously didn't understand the numerous difficulties of this but I gunned the bastard and was able to get off the line without putting my back end over his hood.

gut
03-31-2010, 09:12 PM
Didn't say I couldn't drive one : )

I have driven them, sometimes for months at a time. Red-light-hills,
parking on hills, even push starting them from hills : )

I just said I hate it.

While I'm at it, another thing I hate regarding transmisions (or kind of),
is 10 speed bikes. It seems you can't even buy a true 10 speed these
days. They are all 19 or 57 speeds that never seem to work properly.
You move the shifter 1 milimeter and you go from 6th to 9th gear, 1
more milimeter takes you from 9th-with-grinding to 10th-with-constant-
shifting-back-to-9th-with-grinding. As for gears 1-5 and 15-19, they
have never been used by myself, nor anyone with whom I have ever chatted.
One has to wonder if the thing might not have been as irritating had they
not attempted to impliment 10 gears that are worthless, and had instead
concentrated on making the 10 useful gears actually function.

nathrakh
03-31-2010, 09:16 PM
edit. spammy

gut
04-01-2010, 08:18 AM
AT&T gave me an April fools yesterday, so had to spend hours
on the phone, arguing with them. Turns out the nice $24.99
per month 'deal' they offered was make believe. Also, the
$100.00 wireless modem rebate was to be paid in leprechaun
gold. What I was actually billed for the last two months was
$37 per month, not $25, and they gave me an explaination of
'the rebate is in the mail'. Yes. Right. They explained to me that
there was NO way they could have offered me both the $100
rebate AND the $25 per month deal, and that I must have
been mistaken/retarded. So what really gets me?

http://www.att.com/gen/general?pid=14400&WT.SRCH=1&GUID=1BA9AE3A-836E-46A7-A797-7955A188D667

Look for DSL pro, and see what you think. Maybe there is
some loophole in there I just can't see, but as things are,
I call AT&T a bunch of swindlers. I asked numerous
questions before signing, and was absolutely sure of what
I was being told. Very irritating, as I know nobody is
going to sue over, what, $13 per month, but they make
$$$ because of the number of customers they cheat. For
shame AT&T.

Yes, I read the 'view terms' section, and was sure I abided
by all of the 'qualifiers'. A small bit of the 'terms' has
changed since I signed up a couple months ago, with the
addition of 'you have to sign up with accounts manager
(whatever that is) to qualify for the modem rebate'. What
really irritates me is that the service is actually worth $37
per month, so I can't even feel justified in yelling at anyone.

GRRRR.

Al-Khwarizmi
04-01-2010, 10:07 AM
Wow. The bikes I have used had 1, 3, or 6 gears. And in the 6 gears one I only used like 4 of them anyway.

Sadface
04-01-2010, 01:22 PM
Actually, gut, depending on how you or your lawyer presents the
case and how AT&T defends itself in court, you -may- be able to
get the judge to assign punitive damages so that AT&T will get
the hint to stop doing that...

Note that I am not actually a lawyer or even a law student, so I
could be wrong. ;)

Also, I have already had a reason to NERDRAGE this morning. Sitting
here in the cafe enjoying my eggs and potatoes and orange juice...
and there are two girls behind me spouting off every female stereotype
and saying you can't be a good woman unless you conform to every
single one. They are also chastising their friend on facebook for being
bisexual, calling her a dirty god-hating attention whore.

Listening to them is like having someone drag nails across the blackboard
of my mind.

"Oh my god he's so unattractive"
"Oh my god look who he's friends with"
"Oh my god she's bi"
"Oh my god she's a dirty god-hating attention whore that fucking bitch"
"Oh my god look she likes hannah montanna"
"Oh my god I like that show"
"Oh my god it's like the best show ever"

At the exact same time there is a group of people talking practically
in internet abbreviations and memes. It's highly annoying.

"Oh, F m L!"
"Did someone steal your bucket?"
"No my G F just texted me a pic of F F 13 that bitch"
"Here, you can has cheezburger to make it better."
"R o f l, thanks."

These people are all at least 18 years old.

I hate some of the people that inhabit the part of the US I
live in...

My mind. It's dead...

nathrakh
04-01-2010, 01:49 PM
edit. spammy

_Ln_
04-01-2010, 05:38 PM

live in...

My mind. It's dead...

Damn, I can almost feel your pain :(

Grey
04-01-2010, 05:46 PM

live in...

My mind. It's dead...

Ack, I can feel the pain oozing out of the screen... I had a lot of trouble with that when I stayed in Boston last summer, I must say. Two of the girls I worked with used the word "like" on average about 5 times a sentence. Hearing them having a conversation with each other was the most mind-numbing and debilitating experience of my life.

But, well, life goes on...

In other news it's my birthday on Easter Sunday, but I have the distinct impression this won't be leading to extra chocolate :(