PDA

View Full Version : Crash? Adom will not take any input, but still appears fine.

Berserker
03-24-2010, 02:59 AM
GOD DAMN, ADOM did not crash, but it will not take any input from the keyboard. Is there a solution to this, it happens too often. I am on level 35 in the ID and I haven't crash saved since right before I beat Malakai. Please advise ASAP, thank you.

Restarted, back to level 64 of the ID... oh well. I still would like an answer or confirmation that there is no fix. Thanks again everyone!

psy_wombats
03-24-2010, 05:14 AM
It's probably fatal. Somewhere, the game's in an infinite loop. There are a variety of ways to generate that condition. Did you drop a ton of items on the level or something?

sorear
03-24-2010, 06:11 AM
Are you using SAGE? If so, try pressing SPACE.

Silfir
03-24-2010, 07:31 AM
I have never heard reports of infinite loops. But I do know that SAGE sometimes just is a dick. Pressing space can help.

Sami
03-24-2010, 09:22 AM
I have never heard reports of infinite loops. But I do know that SAGE sometimes just is a dick. Pressing space can help.

I know exactly one way to make adom go into an infinite loop: dip gold into a blessed potion of exchange.

vogonpoet
03-24-2010, 10:39 AM

I gave up on using SAGE ages ago, as it was much less stable on my PC than the Winbeta version.

/too lazy to backup PCs usually

gut
03-24-2010, 11:49 AM
There is a thing with scrolls of item destruction as well.
I seem to remember sorear explaining it to me once, but
I can't remember the specifics. Maybe it was that they
can't destroy themselves. I think it was something like:
Have three (or 4?) kinds, like b/u/c or broken or something
(maybe even have to equip them?), and read one.

Berserker
03-24-2010, 11:59 AM
I don't use sage and I never used an scrolls of item destruction. I was just standing there and bam, nothing. One thing of note is that I was occasionally looking at this website than switching back.

gut
03-24-2010, 12:15 PM
Using the win98 key? Or 'start button key'?
Whatever it's called! Sometimes it'll stick on ye.

Berserker
03-24-2010, 12:35 PM
I will check that next time it happens, or run a few tests to see if that is what causes it. Thank you my good man.

psy_wombats
03-24-2010, 02:53 PM
There is a thing with scrolls of item destruction as well.
I seem to remember sorear explaining it to me once, but
I can't remember the specifics. Maybe it was that they
can't destroy themselves. I think it was something like:
Have three (or 4?) kinds, like b/u/c or broken or something
(maybe even have to equip them?), and read one.

Scrolls of item destruction randomly chose a held item to destroy, provided you have 4 or more. If it chooses a scroll of item destruction, it rerolls. So if you have all scrolls of item destruction, it just keeps rerolling forever.

I've also had this same sort of infinite loop stuff happen after some gnoll picked up my cache of depleted wands after draining them with mana battery... The gold-dipping is another way to do it, and I know I'm forgetting something else...

Elone
03-24-2010, 02:54 PM
Alternately you could try upgrading your ADOM to SAGE, I truly saw no downsides to that thing. I havent really had a crash on it ever since I started using it, unless I've intentionally caused a crash myself (fun stuff like throwing a potion of exchange at a ghost thats currently sitting within a wall). However ADOMSAGE has refresh issues, and THAT may seem like a freeze at times. There actually exists a command in every ADOM, CTRL+R by default, to redraw the screen. Try that.

When you use an exchange potion, it tries to turn one item into another item of its type. One item type is randomly chosen. If RNG accidentally chooses the same item type as the one that was dipped (like turning a potion of healing into a potion of healing), RNG will reroll until it ends up choosing something other than the original item type. Gold is the one and only item of type "valuable" and therefore it will keep trying to change gold pieces into gold pieces (and then retrying), forever. This is one of those obscure programmer's overlooks, ones that programmers wont really find by testing their own game, but communities eventually will.

The funny thing about WHILE loops is that they use up ALL your CPU, so irregardless of your CPU power, the WHILE loop will happily use every last bit of it for its own purposes.

My favourite WHILE loop:
while 0 {}
It's my favourite because it's as brief as these loops get, one has to gape in awe at how powerful and demanding such a small line of code can be.