PDA

View Full Version : In-game Notes

fifthflavorquark
04-02-2009, 02:53 PM
One of the things that I've often thought would be handy is an in-game notes utility. Sure, I can use Notepad or Textedit (or whatever) to record where shops, pools, altars, etc. are between game sessions, but it would be nice if I could just type Alt N and notes for that specific character would pop up.

Of course, I'm not a programmer, so I don't know if this would be a lot of extra effort or would dramatically reduce the art of JADE and/or ADOM.

Epythic
04-02-2009, 03:25 PM
One of the things that I've often thought would be handy is an in-game notes utility. Sure, I can use Notepad or Textedit (or whatever) to record where shops, pools, altars, etc. are between game sessions, but it would be nice if I could just type Alt N and notes for that specific character would pop up.

Of course, I'm not a programmer, so I don't know if this would be a lot of extra effort or would dramatically reduce the art of JADE and/or ADOM.

Even if there was a feature like that; I would not use it. Here are three reasons:

1. I have a favorite text editor, Vim. It's a lot more comfortable than anything else.
2. I want to be able to read/write the notes when I'm not playing (e.g. when posting here).
3. I want to be able to search (and possibly reformat the results) through my notes (possibly the notes from different chars) effectively. Means, I want to be able to use unix tools to do the job (grep...).
4. What if your character dies, but you want to write a postmortem?
5. I backup my char often, and I want to keep *all* backups, in case I want to jump back later to test something. Here, being able to grep through the notes from outside of the game is very handy to determine which savegame I want to load.

Anyway, you might just make a shortcut to open your favorite text editor with a specific textfile pre-loaded.

fifthflavorquark
04-02-2009, 04:58 PM
Ah yes, all good points.

sgeos
04-02-2009, 07:08 PM
You could just have ADOM open the registered text editor. System calls are easy to do.

Evil Knievel
04-04-2009, 08:10 AM
The nice thing would be about the bookkeeping that you would not need to take care of yourself anymore, equally like leaving fullscreen mode. Especially when you play 7th char a day...
When the char dies, the file dies. It can remain in the flg if you like, or you create another dump on dying...

sgeos
04-04-2009, 04:48 PM
I churn through characters, so I like the idea of a notepad attached to the character.

RndmNumGenerator
04-05-2009, 04:27 AM
I churn through characters, so I like the idea of a notepad attached to the character.

What if you could write things down(assuming your character is literate) on a blank scroll that can be read later?

sgeos
04-05-2009, 07:22 AM
What if you could write things down(assuming your character is literate) on a blank scroll that can be read later?
This is an awesome idea. A notepad book (10s?) would also be really nice.

vogonpoet
04-06-2009, 08:46 AM
From a role-playing standpoint, a notebook in the game would be incredibly overpowered - paper tends to be pretty rare in such scenarios... like hundreds of blank scrolls held together in a convenient binder (free packet of stickers with part one).

Sadface
04-06-2009, 05:32 PM
The gush of water hits you! Your blessed diary is totally drenched! You die...

I like the idea of writing notes on blank scrolls, it could add even more to the game (mute but literate? write a message on the blank scroll to talk to someone. Mute and illiterate? draw pictures!).

Elone
04-06-2009, 10:10 PM
From a role-playing standpoint, a notebook in the game would be incredibly overpowered - paper tends to be pretty rare in such scenarios... like hundreds of blank scrolls held together in a convenient binder (free packet of stickers with part one).

It's not like you could tear a page out of the notebook and use it as a scroll. In the same way that you cant keep empty bottles from the potions you drink, and later fill them with water when you reach a square of water. Just like IRL.