PDA

View Full Version : Oh my, Doom and curses!

Doorsfan
04-08-2010, 03:25 PM
Now i don't know wich one i initally got, but i had a really promising priest going on - he was climbing quite fast to power, and all he needed was a patch of stoma. Well, then by some mysterious means, he got doomed or curse. I noticed as a pack of blink dogs took me down 50 hp, things became insanely hard to kill, certain mobs had a streak of "hits vital spot" for say 5-6 rounds in a row, and my armor got damaged so quickly i went from 10 PV to 2 pv.

I'd like to have a list of all the doom and cursed effects, if anyone could try and assemble this.

Dudley
04-08-2010, 03:32 PM
Added to what you said :
-wilderness encounters, frequent
-Punching through armor enhanced
-Dark rooms become dangerous

The Metro Gnome
04-08-2010, 03:59 PM
With doom, the gods ignore you. Also in the ToEF, fire blankets never fail (bug of some type or a connection to the Lord of the Rings)

Al-Khwarizmi
04-08-2010, 04:01 PM
a connection to the Lord of the Rings

What? Could you elaborate that?

The Metro Gnome
04-08-2010, 04:04 PM
The ring of Doom avec the giant volcano in mordor. Don't know what that's got to do with the blanket, but it twas just a hunch.

JellySlayer
04-08-2010, 05:07 PM
Now i don't know wich one i initally got, but i had a really promising priest going on - he was climbing quite fast to power, and all he needed was a patch of stoma. Well, then by some mysterious means, he got doomed or curse. I noticed as a pack of blink dogs took me down 50 hp, things became insanely hard to kill, certain mobs had a streak of "hits vital spot" for say 5-6 rounds in a row, and my armor got damaged so quickly i went from 10 PV to 2 pv.

I'd like to have a list of all the doom and cursed effects, if anyone could try and assemble this.

To my knowledge, dooming has at least the following effects:

-Decreases luck significantly
-Increases the probability of finding "You shudder" rooms
-Monsters score more critical hits
-Monsters penetrate armor more frequently
-Armor is damaged/destroyed more frequently
-Equipment damage due to traps and things is generally more severe
-You are more likely to get poisoned, stat drained, paralysed, confused, etc.
-Monsters spawn at higher level
-Corruption rate is doubled
-You may randomly get eaten by a grue (and killed) while entering a darkened area
-Prayers cost more and fail more often
-Pools will never give wishes
-It is almost impossible to wrench charges out of wands
-You will get wilderness encounters on just about every step
-Fireproof blankets are less likely to burn up...

Note that many of these effects may be caused only as a result of the severe decrease in luck, and thus can be (partially) offset by getting fate smiles, lucky, etc.

Cursing, AFAIK, only gives a small luck penalty.

Soirana
04-08-2010, 05:11 PM
From the top of mine drunken head on doomed topic:

You basically can't pray
You can't get wishes from pools

Rest is not so important:)

Grey
04-08-2010, 05:19 PM
Monster generation rate on levels is also higher - quite handy for livesaccing actually. Also I seem to remember wands of wishing can fail whilst doomed...

Doorsfan
04-08-2010, 05:30 PM
How nice. I always was bothered by how GB never could really define what happened while doomed and respectivly Cursed. I mean, i never am satisified with the thougt of "it just is". Great to see that some greater knowledge around here. :)

grobblewobble
04-08-2010, 05:32 PM
The effect of being doomed?

You're DOOMED!
You're going to die!
DOOOOMED!! :eek:

Doorsfan
04-08-2010, 05:39 PM
Well, that's surely how it feels like, when you're doomed. It's like.. you got on the bad side of RNG.

The Metro Gnome
04-08-2010, 06:55 PM
Also, doomed players are more fun ^^

(Hey, I'm now an ancient member!)

Doorsfan
04-08-2010, 07:07 PM
Imo, doomed players is the alternative for the ones who really, really want to go on the masochistic side of things, i mean, ADOM is bad enough with a severe learning-curve and what not. As for ancient member, grats, wish i was one.

DreadArchon
04-09-2010, 01:22 AM
Well this explains my sudden wilderness issues. Is there a way to formally check my Doomed status?

Alucard
04-09-2010, 02:01 AM
potions of insight / spell of revelation

The Metro Gnome
04-09-2010, 03:14 AM
You'd know if you were doomed, but I'd pray and see if the gods ignore me. BTW the best way to remove doom (and cursed?) is to sac at an alter until very close. iirc praying removes curse unless you are doomed. Also eating the corpse of a karmic being removes doom, curse, grants luck, and then fate in that order. The last way is by pool sipping (I can't remember the exact message you get, check the GB) but I wouldn't because that may ruin any chance for a wish.

Kudos to you!