PDA

View Full Version : Teemu v1.1 with source code

Angelus
05-14-2010, 11:14 AM
New version of Teemu released. It's a sort of roguelike game. The source code can be interesting for those developing roguelikes. That author is really funny guy, and clever too! Look at that source code. Nice and effective programming. TB could learn a lot from that source!

http://koti.mbnet.fi/paulkp/teemu/teemu.htm

Grey
05-14-2010, 05:40 PM
Hmm... Angelus = Krice? Would explain so very much...

Teemu is quite cool though, I'll admit.

Sentinel
05-16-2010, 09:14 AM
I wanted to play teemu but it doesn't run. It shows only message "error executing program". Tried on 2 different computers.... without luck.
(WinXP SP2)

Angelus
05-16-2010, 10:23 AM
I wanted to play teemu but it doesn't run. It shows only message "error executing program". Tried on 2 different computers.... without luck.
(WinXP SP2)

That's something new. It's developed in WinXP SP2. Maybe it requires some M$ poop because it's compiled with Visual C++. In fact it compiles also with gcc, maybe I should just release a version with gcc compiled .exe. I mean, maybe he should.

Sentinel
05-16-2010, 01:58 PM
Could i ask you for a gcc compiled version please?

Angelus
05-16-2010, 05:11 PM
Could i ask you for a gcc compiled version please?

It's now there. Interesting to see if it works.

Sentinel
05-16-2010, 05:36 PM
It works great now. Thank you very much. :)

gut
05-18-2010, 09:53 AM
try 1. died to a chicken. yes, a chicken. One may
wonder exactly how did a chicken peck me to death.
Notice that the 5 button doesn't wait in place, but
instead moves me downward.

try 2. scored 1 point, made it to a hut, then died
to a racoon. One may wonder how a racooon...

try 3. missed an opportunity for some fun when I
found a mushroom. Ate it for the message 'tastes
delicious'. Was hoping for something more creative.
Notice how lovely it would be to have messages like
'you see a banana laying here'. scored 3 points,
and managed to open a chest. Do HP's ever regen?

try 4. Notice that when I enter the 'hut', I always
start on a line that is below the bottom line of my
screen. Even putting the title bar half out of the
top of my screen leaves 1 or two lines missing.
Scored 1 point, died to racoon.

try 5. Maybe melee is just heavily discouraged? I
try throwing a coconut at stuff. Manage to kill a
monkey before another kills me.

I didn't find very much fun in the game. Would be
nice to kill a few things, or else at least die to mobs
like 'wild boar' or 'viper'.

boris_pankov@inbox.ru
05-18-2010, 11:10 AM
you don`t believe that he can kill you?
http://preemnik2008.net/img/content/i3/3962.jpg

gut
05-18-2010, 11:18 AM
I stand corrected :)

Angelus
05-18-2010, 02:55 PM
try 4. Notice that when I enter the 'hut', I always
start on a line that is below the bottom line of my
screen.

The default resolution (or font) is quite large. Try small font option, that should fix it.

Sentinel
05-18-2010, 04:56 PM
This game is great man but hard as cocconut. Scored 91 points so far and made it to the pirate cave. One bad thing about the game.. you can lost an important item when you kill something and it drops another item on the same place.

Angelus
05-19-2010, 04:06 PM
you can lost an important item when you kill something and it drops another item on the same place.

I think it should not drop anything when there is item already on ground. That could be a bug. I don't know if I'm going to check or fix that any time soon, because I'm now working on a small game called Kaduria... Anyway it's quite easy to avoid that, just don't kill a monster when it's standing on item.

BlkDucky
05-20-2010, 01:48 AM
Teemu is the featured roguelike on Roguebasin. :)

BlkDucky
05-20-2010, 01:56 AM
This Kaduria?
http://koti.mbnet.fi/paulkp/kaduria/

Looks pretty cool from the single screenshot. :|

Any other details about this "custom role-playing system which has more realistic style than systems derived from tabletop role-playing"? :D

1. When is Kaduria ready?
In two years.

From when? D:

Angelus
05-20-2010, 08:30 PM
About releasing the source code. It sucks. People can't do anything but complain. "Not enough comments" or "why isn't there derived classes for items and monsters" or "it's beginner's code.."

I thought the source code was decent. There are no fatal bugs (that I know) and I didn't just release the game when it was looking like ready, I playtested it myself. A roguelike without bugs is cool, but I'm the only one who seems to notice it.

Grey
05-21-2010, 12:45 AM
I think perhaps you've set yourself up on a pedestal with all the trollish comments you make on many roguelike boards. I've certainly never gotten any criticism for the admittedly hideous code in my games (though I have received friendly advice).

Ultimately I think having the game running and bug-free is the most important part of the code. So few developers ever reach the stage of releasing a roguelike that I really don't think anyone should be criticised for what they produce. In the end it's only the game itself that matters.

Also, there is the nice benefit of portability from releasing the code, so I'm sure at heart you're glad you did it.

grobblewobble
05-21-2010, 09:19 AM
About releasing the source code. It sucks. People can't do anything but complain. "Not enough comments" or "why isn't there derived classes for items and monsters" or "it's beginner's code.."

What a bad excuse. You are just jealous because people are now reusing your source to build far better roguelikes than yours. ;)

Angelus
05-21-2010, 03:27 PM
You are just jealous because people are now reusing your source to build far better roguelikes than yours. ;)

Two things. First I really wish my source code could be good enough to use in new roguelike games. In my opinion many roguelike sources are incredibly poorly programmed and mainly useless. Second thing: good luck with game programming. Even if you have a good engine/source code you can modify it's not that easy to be creative game designer. Most "variant" creators don't have a clue what game design is all about. They just add super lots of stuff, because that's their limit of imagination and creativity.

grobblewobble
05-21-2010, 03:47 PM
Most "variant" creators don't have a clue what game design is all about. They just add super lots of stuff, because that's their limit of imagination and creativity.
This sounds familiar, somehow. I think I heard another game designer say the same.. not sure who it was. :confused:

Timpak
05-21-2010, 04:41 PM
How to I control the char (not moving but the rest)? I do not seem to be able to throw things even though i get prompted with it. And how do I open doors?

Edit: Found out that i threw with normal up down etc keys.

Oh new high score, 37 points died in the forest to a hattifattner! Found the ? key =)

Angelus
05-22-2010, 09:45 AM
v1.11 is released. It's now compiled in gcc, because Visual C++ version requires some M$ stuff installed. There is also a new source code release with some changes made for better portability. It -should- compile in linux without any changes, but I don't know that yet. Also what I know the Mac port should be quite easy to do. The main reason for v1.11 was a memory leak bug in Tar_Ball::Load. I guess it didn't cause any crashes, but it's better fix those.

Angelus
09-18-2010, 11:27 AM
I just noticed that I received reputation with comment "shit" for this thread. It's a nice thank you for developing a free roguelike game! Anyway, in case you didn't know 1.2 is available and 1.21 (a bug fix) is going to be released soon.

But wait, that's nothing compared to version 1.3. It's going to be a version with added stuff that makes Teemu much more like a roguelike!

gut
09-18-2010, 01:04 PM
wasn't me, I don't believe I've ever given a negative rep point

moomoo
09-18-2010, 06:00 PM
There's a reputation system?

gut
09-18-2010, 06:54 PM
Indeed. It is the exclaimation point and, um, scales(?) icons you see
above your post, right beside of the '#25'.

I just reported you for nearsightedness ;)

moomoo
09-18-2010, 09:19 PM
Indeed. It is the exclaimation point and, um, scales(?) icons you see
above your post, right beside of the '#25'.

I just reported you for nearsightedness ;)

Whoah. What a great system :)

So, the green square below those scales and stuff indicates that pretty much everyone except angelus is on a distinguished road. Good to know. I'm going to start a mad +-repping fever right now!

gut
09-19-2010, 03:16 AM
Someone once reported me for 'length abuse' in the treasure
hunter thread, and someone else reported me as 'harsh' because
I look like a serial killer in my photograph.

Angelus
09-24-2010, 04:10 PM
Version 1.21 released:
http://koti.mbnet.fi/paulkp/teemu/teemu.htm

Now with the source code and a new more data-driven engine. Just look at that source code and get inspired! The game has zero known bugs. That's how you do it!

Evil Knievel
09-24-2010, 09:53 PM
no bugs, that's true - but don#t be so stupid as I have been and run teemu.exe from within the rar-file... (or have fun seeing the effects, probably not recommended thought ;))

Angelus
09-26-2010, 09:24 AM
but don#t be so stupid as I have been and run teemu.exe from within the rar-file...

What rar file.