PDA

View Full Version : Roguelike Suggestions?

RndmNumGenerator
09-07-2010, 03:18 PM
So after saving the world(or occasionally corrupting it) for the 10th time, I've gotten sort of bored with ADOM. It's a wonderful game, but there is only so much variation between the different classes before everything just feels the same. I found Dwarf Fortress, which while an ASCII game isn't really a roguelike, but while that kept me occupied for a time it has become quite easy to establish a utopia were the only problems I face is a lack of FPS. I also tried nethack, but I couldn't really get into that because of how confusing the controls were; Why do you need 7 different buttons for equipping or unequipping stuff? The lack of a game manual doesn't help it either, as I still haven't figured out how to swap places with non-hostiles like ':s' does in ADOM.

If anyone knows of any good roguelikes, I'm open to suggestions. I'm running a x64 bit OS, so a lot of the other games won't run on my computer.

Silfir
09-07-2010, 04:18 PM
There's a lot of names to check out, and as far as I'm aware Stone Soup has a lot of fans around here. I'm not really the right person to help you though; usually when I feel in the mood for trying other roguelikes I always end up realizing that it's just not quite ADOM and I never manage to get used to the game's quirks for long enough to get anywhere far. So I've accepted that ADOM is the only roguelike I'll ever get far in and usually go to other genres for variation.

littlebrather
09-07-2010, 04:36 PM
tried Crawl with icons it looks pretty (if U don't want to replace all chars in your brain with new creature)

moomoo
09-07-2010, 05:47 PM
Dungeon crawl stone soup is definately worth checking out.

Sradac
09-08-2010, 02:13 AM
TOME is alive again, with version 4 beta 10. Its pretty stable now, and is winable.
DoomRL is a good way to pass time quickly

RndmNumGenerator
09-08-2010, 06:23 PM
Thanks for the advice guys. I've tried Stone Soup, and it is a lot of fun; it is a little weird getting used to the different commands(such as using f instead of t for missile attacks) but the game has a good manual so it's easy to look stuff up I don't know.

fazisi
09-08-2010, 07:02 PM
Also, if you ever feel like you need some help with Crawl, go to their irc channel on irc.freenode.net named ##crawl. There are dozens of users there who will help you with questions and a couple of bots similar to #adom's soradombot which contain all sorts of data concerning monsters, items, classes and several other things.