PDA

View Full Version : not another spam explosion

grobblewobble
09-15-2010, 09:43 AM
How do I pray to the Creator again.. F1.. '_'

Dear Thomas Biskup, please rid us of evil spamminators.

BlkDucky
09-15-2010, 02:26 PM
Let Us Pray

_

Laukku
09-15-2010, 03:06 PM
Let's not forget we can email him:

Ok, folks, I hope I got the spam problems under control for now. Currently I lack the time to add some new spam protection feature to the bulletin software so please let's do the following: Once new spammers show up please notify my immediately with an email to

thomas dot biskup at quinscape dot de

(and please only for spam issues - this is my daily work address and I really don't have the time to start other discussions during work time... but there is always time at lunch to quickly annihilate a spammer).

Grey
09-15-2010, 08:03 PM
I've e-mailed him. Hopefully he shall come forth to smite the evil spambots soon.

Molach
09-16-2010, 07:48 PM
Hm. I wonder if anyone ever has bought/browsed/been tempted by anything posted by a spambot...? I mean, we log into these boards to read a nice funny story, or laugh at some horrible misfortune, or help/hinder some clewless [sic] newbie. "Potion of extra hilling" hah thats funny.

Anyway, does the initiator of said spambot think we would reward this evil act by actually buying something? If anyone clicked on those links, it was surely to find out where he lives, and carpet-bomb his house and garage and patio.

So, has anyone, ever, in the history of the internet, reacted posetively to spambottified business ouvertures?

-M

grobblewobble
09-17-2010, 08:37 AM
In the history of internet? Maybe once for every billion spam messages. That's the problem with spam, it's too cheap to produce. If just one in a billion people decides to actually read and respond to one of the trillions of spam messages that are self-reproducing and clogging the internet, the spammers can still profit. Once the spambots reach a sufficient level of intelligence, they will probably bury us under a mountain of spam and kill us all.

fazisi
09-17-2010, 09:06 AM
In the history of internet? Maybe once for every billion spam messages. That's the problem with spam, it's too cheap to produce. If just one in a billion people decides to actually read and respond to one of the trillions of spam messages that are self-reproducing and clogging the internet, the spammers can still profit. Once the spambots reach a sufficient level of intelligence, they will probably bury us under a mountain of spam and kill us all.
Spambots are currently some of the most advanced AI in the world. They aren't very good learners though.

Grey
09-17-2010, 05:29 PM
One of the main points of spambots these days is to increase a company's Google ranking. By including links or even referencing company names and products they push up Google search hits and make the product more popular.