PDA

View Full Version : Improvements to Amunition

Thing
09-18-2010, 09:12 AM
There hasn't been much posted here for a while so I thought I'd contribute.

One of the things I find frustrating when playing as an Archer (or any class for that matter) is the large amounts of unstackable amunition that you acquire. My suggested solution is as follows.

In place of the missle slot have a quiver (or pouch for rocks) that can contain multiple variants of one type of amunition.

Example: Quiver contains: 2 arrows of slaying, 6 mirthril arrows, 1 arrow of darkness and 10 barbed arrows of hunting.

Then when using a bow the arrow used is randomly selected from those in the quiver so the actual arrow fired could be any one of the types above.

This to me seams more realistic than the current syetem used in ADOM and I think an improvement. Quivers could have a limited capacity say 30 arrows and could maybe be an item by themselves?

fazisi
09-18-2010, 09:27 PM
This quiver idea is awesome.

Setremedes
09-19-2010, 05:15 AM
There hasn't been much posted here for a while so I thought I'd contribute.

One of the things I find frustrating when playing as an Archer (or any class for that matter) is the large amounts of unstackable amunition that you acquire. My suggested solution is as follows.

In place of the missle slot have a quiver (or pouch for rocks) that can contain multiple variants of one type of amunition.

Example: Quiver contains: 2 arrows of slaying, 6 mirthril arrows, 1 arrow of darkness and 10 barbed arrows of hunting.

Then when using a bow the arrow used is randomly selected from those in the quiver so the actual arrow fired could be any one of the types above.

This to me seams more realistic than the current syetem used in ADOM and I think an improvement. Quivers could have a limited capacity say 30 arrows and could maybe be an item by themselves?

Seems realistic, but somewhat frustrating. I'd prefer a system where, say, you could set a priority order for your missile stacks of various types - for example, if I run out of uncursed 1d6 arrows, I load my blessed 1d6 arrows, and then my uncursed 1d6+1, and so on...or if I'm fighting the ACW, I start with blessed poisoned arrows of darkness, then blessed poisoned dragon slayers, then blessed poisoned demon slayers, then blessed poisoned arrows of whatever my best mod is, and so on. Maybe you could even save multiple priority orders? You could even mix this with the quiver idea, and switch between picking an arrow at random from the active quiver or picking the types in a specific order (if you can pick a wand to pull out of your pack if you want, you can pick an arrow to pull out of your quiver if you want).

(though the second ADOM example doesn't work very well, as most archers can take out the ACW in 2-3 shots of blessed slayers with no poison and no need to waste ammo of darkness, I think the point remains)

Maul
09-19-2010, 09:00 AM
I have thought of the VERY exact thing a long time ago, but didn't bother posting it 'cause JADE is not gonna come out anyways.