PDA

View Full Version : Public Free ADOM Server

Moult
10-10-2010, 04:06 PM
Since the last server went down, we now have a new one :)

http://ancardia.dyndns.org/ - details on how to connect.

Upon connecting, I must stress that you read the "First visit? Read me!" document in full.

You will need an SSH client to connect, PuTTy (http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/download.html) is a good choice for those on Windows.

For those unfamiliar with SSH keys, just save the raw key text to a file (filename doesn't matter) and use that as the key file. *nix systems might need to chmod 700 the raw key. For those using PuTTY, you will need to use the PuTTY key provided (you do not need to run the .ppk file under puttygen, as it is already a PuTTY key).

Once you finish playing YOUR OWN session, just save/quit ADOM as usual, and then answer the questions about keeping (and sometimes backing up) your session. If you are spectating, and thus DO NOT OWN the session, obviously you should not quit or save the person's game. Instead, you should just close your SSH client window to stop spectating.

As this has just been set up, it is obviously still undergoing testing, so any comments/feedbacks/bugs please let me know (IRC or here). Sorry for the bugs (to be expected, really), so if you hit one make sure you tell me and they will be hunted down.

As for distributing a private SSH key, I understand that it is not the norm, but having everybody to create their own key is too inconvenient and using a password is too insecure. If you have a better solution please let me know.

The server is in the USA. If you want to host an Eastern mirror let me know via PM.

Awesome Features
- automagic backups + backup restoration
- check for 80x25 game size
- spectate-only as well as co-op games
- override spectate-only games with password
- password protected game files (don't use an important password)
- vi-keys option
- popular ADOM cfg settings
- shared highscores
- downloadable game save and memorial files (svg, vlg and flg)
- uploadable (import) save files into server
- open-source code
- everything is temporary data, we don't log stuff about you. if you want archives, download it and store it yourself (yes, that's a feature!)
- shows race/class/level/idle time for active sessions
- shows last saved time for savegames

Future (potential) features
- build your own gut-style "let's play" documentary :D
- ttyrec game recordings perhaps?
- perhaps your own cfg and kbd files?
- maaayybee ADOM SAGE support

Known bugs
- PuTTY has a bug which may stop you from using the function keys to change your tactics. You can fix this by going to Terminal->Keyboard on PuTTY's left navigation and choosing "Xterm R6" as the "The Function keys and keypad" settings.
- Another bug if you use PuTTY is that the numpad keys to move around don't work. Just enable "Disable application keypad mode" in Terminal->Features to fix it.
- Using screen's command line mode (you really shouldn't be messing around with any of screen's functions anyway) may cause keymappings to be messed up. Saving and resuming the session restores it back to normal.
- If somebody is mashing their keyboard whilst you are playing a spectate-only game, your screen might blink. Don't panic!

I hope you enjoy playing it, and please abide by the rules and guidelines stated in the "First visit? Read me!" document when you connect to the server.

koeteren
10-10-2010, 05:40 PM
I just tried it, here's my comments.

For PuTTY you need to change rows to 25 to start ADOM and you need to convert Moult's key with PuTTYGen.

The term doesn'y seem compatible with default PuTTY, so I cannot walk using keypad.

The link is too slow for me to play, but I'm in europe.

I'm not too excited about others ability to interfere in my games directly. :eek:

But thanks for the effort, there need to be a public ADOM server. :D

gut
10-10-2010, 07:56 PM
wait, this is in USA?!

woooot. gotta try this right now

... I love the idea of others being able to interfere with gameplay!

gut
10-10-2010, 08:41 PM
Got it working. Can't understand why the first link tells me to ask for a key
on irc, then just gives me a key on the second link. Yes, I had to use puttygen
on the provided key, so maybe that's why the asking...

The server is fast for me in KY, or at least it's faster than the European one was.

Playing a gnome assasin now, though I suppose I won't fiddle with screenshots.

Anyone who wants to spectate (or help in the gameplay) is welcome :D

I do love that particular feature, please keep it, at least up until you get complaints.

gut
10-10-2010, 08:50 PM
tripple posting rules!

did I miss the way to edit my .cfg file?

I'm typing in my game variables via the in-game command := and it's working fine, just curious

dallonj
10-10-2010, 11:20 PM
i need a step by step connection guide. could some one give me a hand? the only thing i ever used putty for was the old server and i don't really undersstand too well how to connect

psy_wombats
10-10-2010, 11:34 PM
i need a step by step connection guide. could some one give me a hand? the only thing i ever used putty for was the old server and i don't really undersstand too well how to connect

Download the DSA key that Moult linked, and you'll also need puttygen (http://the.earth.li/~sgtatham/putty/latest/x86/puttygen.exe). Using puttygen, import the key from the Conversions menu. Then hit Save Private Key. Names don't matter too much.

Now in PuTTY, on the left nav thing, find SSH and then Auth. There should be a box for a private key file. Just naviagte to the one you just created.

dallonj
10-10-2010, 11:52 PM
i got it working thanks. now people can interfere with me killing myself!! this seems pretty awesome a little but slow but i think thats my bad internet connection

gut
10-11-2010, 01:46 AM
hmm, I wonder how to reload my save game...

gut
10-11-2010, 02:15 AM
seems there are a few bugs

I wasn't able to find my save for my lithium gnome. Someone on irc mentioned
that they may have closed it out accidentally. I rolled a new PC, saved, relogged,
and it seems that anyone can log into anyone's saved sessions. Someone had
done that (though not neccesarily the person from irc), perhaps thinking to
spectate, loaded the file, then quit or died or something. Anyway, unless there is
some backup, that guy is just dead, but that's no problem. The problem is, now
I can't spectate. Some on irc said the same thing happened to them, they made
a PC, saved a session, and can no longer spectate.

When trying, you get an error output, then putty just closes. I fired up camstudio
to get the output lines:

--------
/home/adom/shell.sh: line 105: export: '/home/adom=/home/adom/sessions/': not a valid identifier
There are several suitable screens on:
----------

Moult
10-11-2010, 06:24 AM
Fixed the bug reported by gut, first post updated with new details. Small improvements done here and there.

@koeteren: this is a bug with PuTTy, I have updated the first post with details on fixing these types of issues.

_Ln_
10-11-2010, 03:09 PM
hmm, I wonder how to reload my save game...

Hah, that's what you got for abusing herbs :p (and just to avoid some bad ideas - it wasn't me who screwed up the save :)).

Haven't seen it in the bugs, so I'll mention it - yesterday (sitting under Windows and using PuTTY) I got thrown into gut's session (it was only active atm) after I saved my char and answered 'y' about saving my session AND I also got thrown in it after I entered 'q' command in the main screen. After that I just closed PuTTY window.

Also, despite my lags (that is normal I guess due to territorial issues), this thing rocks! Thanks, Moult!

And also, some sort of disclaimer - everybody is free to play my games (session starts with bloody_lemon_), I don't really mind someone grinding herbs for several precrowns :D Really, I think that some surprises are awesome to boost ADoM fun.

P.S. And yeah, we should totally make a challenge game.

Moult
10-11-2010, 03:43 PM
Well, let me know if it happens again, I did fix a few things in the script so hopefully your problem should already be fixed.

Yes, we did have a few ideas for team tournaments. ID dives with switching users when going up or down a staircase, that sort of thing. But let's get all the bugs ironed out first! :)

_Ln_
10-11-2010, 06:40 PM
Well, let me know if it happens again, I did fix a few things in the script so hopefully your problem should already be fixed.

Yes, we did have a few ideas for team tournaments. ID dives with switching users when going up or down a staircase, that sort of thing. But let's get all the bugs ironed out first! :)

Hmm, I still get thrown into active sessions on trying to 'q'uit.

Moult
10-11-2010, 07:13 PM
OK just for the sake of public record, _Ln_'s bug on resuming active sessions when tryign to quit has been fixed.

Moult
10-12-2010, 07:57 AM
Doubleposting, but now when you start a session, you need to assign a password to your session. This means that you, and only you, can resume your session. This should stop others from messing up your game when you're not active.

fazisi
10-12-2010, 07:14 PM
Have a couple suggestions and some problems to report.

Why not host the private key as the generated .PPK file as well as a .TXT file? This will save a step for those too lazy to download puttygen.

After reading the "First visit? Read me!" file and pressing 'q' to exit to the main menu, it does not actually display the main menu again, just the "Please type in an option: " line.

Should add a line at to bottom of the "Donations" file that instructs the user to press 'q' to exit to the main menu. Similar problem of not actually displaying the main menu again as above.

After attempting to reload a saved game in which it asks for a password, then providing an incorrect password, it immediately closes the connection. A bit harsh. Perhaps it should provide an error message and return you to the main menu.

When you die or quit, the player may want to keep his session open so he can create a new character.

_Ln_
10-13-2010, 09:34 PM
Ok, bugs are back.
I'm thrown in active sessions again even after the message "your session has closed"

Also, I started "public_the_second", then sorear started playing. I left at some moment, then came back, but I can't start spectating that exact session (I could spectate other though). Some message started being displayed (dissapearing immediately) over the menu screen (in black on grey on the last row), and then I was left with "Attaching from inside of screen?" after "Please type in an option:"

I managed to printscreen the message before it dissapears. It says: "Attach msg ignored:coming from inside."

Ok.

P.S. Coming from inside sounds creepy, I'm now officially scared.

Moult
10-14-2010, 06:13 AM
@fazisi:

I have added the PuTTY PPK key as a downloadable option, and edited the first post as such. I've updated the README and donations file to both mention press 'q' to go back to the menu. I will address your other suggestions later :)

@_Ln_:

That is worrisome. It seems as though people are accidentally starting screen sessions without meaning to. This could happen if while you are pressing my previously recommended "stop spectating" sequence, the other person playing is also hitting keys that could potentially execute screen commands. It sounds as though somebody accidentally hit the a key, or c key whilst you were quitting.

I am changing my recommendation to stop spectating via C-a C-d, and instead stop spectating by closing your SSH window. I have also made some changes so that the C-a command will no longer be recognised by screen.

This should fix your problems.

Please let me know if any other problems occur.

Moult
10-14-2010, 05:08 PM
After attempting to reload a saved game in which it asks for a password, then providing an incorrect password, it immediately closes the connection. A bit harsh. Perhaps it should provide an error message and return you to the main menu.

Fixed :)

When you die or quit, the player may want to keep his session open so he can create a new character.

I disagree. A session is a single "gaming session". It should not be confused with an "account". Or did you mean instead of making it close the SSH window it brings you back to the main menu after dying or quitting ADOM? If so, I agree, and I will fix it later.

Meanwhile, we have two very exciting new features:

You can now have spectate-only or co-op games. It's pretty much self explanatory. Co-op games are what we're all used to - anybody can join and control your character. Spectate-only games are ones that only you control - any spectators cannot control your character. Note that your game might blink when doing a spectate-only game if the person spectating is mashing their keyboard. But of course we won't do that would we? :)

The next feature is downloadable game data. First go to http://ancardia.dyndns.org/data/sessions/ and go into your session's directory. Whenever you save, you will be able to download the save .svg file from there. (right click and save as). If you press ')' in-game, it will generate a .vlg file which is a snapshot of your current progress. You can download this .vlg file as well. When you die (or win), it will generate a .flg file which is basically those memorial files showing how awesome your character was. You can also download it. (Just make sure you download it before quitting your session otherwise it'll be deleted with the rest of your data - it should be immediately available once you answer the "Do you want to make a memorial file" question).

Also, I've released the source code (well, the shell scripts, I can't exactly release my server settings) available here: http://ancardia.dyndns.org/data/source/

We're making progress to a server ready for a tournament methinks!

gut
10-14-2010, 07:04 PM
To say my knowledge of linux is minimal is an overstatement,
yet I looked at the code anyway :D

Found these lines and became intrigued:

# ... give them vi-keys!
if [ "$vikeys" == "y" ]; then
cp /home/adom/adom.kbd.vi /home/adom/sessions/$newname/.adom.data/.adom.kbd

I'm assuming this means there is a pre-mapped kbd file, and we
are just chosing to use that if we chose 'vikeys'. If so, could
we use the same technique to chose pre-generated cfg files?

# ... give them vi-keys!
if [ "$guts_cfg" == "y" ]; then
cp /home/adom/adom.cfg.gut /home/adom/sessions/$newname/.adom.data/.adom.kbd

???

if so...

http://plog.atspace.com/adomstuff/adom.cfg.gut
and http://plog.atspace.com/adomstuff/adom.cnt.gut (to let me in BUGWIL)

Moult
10-15-2010, 01:54 AM
Correct, technically we could just allow them a pre-configured cfg file, but everybody's personal cfg taste is different, so I was hoping for a more elegant solution where we could actually edit the file at the beginning, or save a list of our favourites. I'm hoping for something simple too :)

Letting people in the BUGWIL isn't as simple as just throwing that cnt file - because then it would clash when sharing hiscores. Don't worry, it'll come as a feature reaaaaaalllly soon!

Moult
10-15-2010, 09:21 AM
OK, today we have a nice little check when you connect to make sure that you have a 25x80 terminal.

Shared highscores now work and so will the BUGWIL once 100 people die (or was it created? anyways we're on our way).

The vi-keys have been updated with better ones (happily provided by sorear) and you now have the option to start with a preset bunch of popular config settings provided by gutt. More information available in the readme file on the server.

Epythic
10-15-2010, 10:55 AM
As for BUGWIL, just create a .adom.cnt file which has an ascii char > 100 in it. "x" should work just fine. ("x" = chr(120))..

Moult
10-15-2010, 11:03 AM
gut had a .cnt file available for people to download which did similar to what you said but apparently people started experiencing crashes, so I decided to do it the safe way by everybody sharing a cnt file instead.

fazisi
10-16-2010, 01:25 AM
Adventurer, ye hast not seen 'nough incarnations to be deemed worthy to enter this sacred place. Return when ye hast seen more death and suffering and art prepared for what awaits ye.

Moult
10-16-2010, 06:28 AM
Kill more PCs!

Moult
10-16-2010, 02:33 PM
Updates for today: It no longer thinks you are a new ADOM player and displays those "this is your first time playing" messages at the start. Checks for adom.prc file and deletes it when resuming (in case ADOM crashed) have been added as well.

Guess what? You can now import your offline games into the server :D

http://ancardia.dyndns.org/import.php

Self-explanatory.

Moult
10-17-2010, 08:29 AM
Just a heads up that if you press Ctrl-s, it will suspend your session. This is an in-built thing in *nix systems and thus cannot be turned off. When your session is suspended, it will look as though it is frozen. Don't panic :) You can easily unsuspend it by pressing Ctrl-q.

This is not a server bug. This is a normal thing on such systems just as it is normal for alt-tab to be "switch application" on Windows. Nevertheless I will add it to the known bugs list.

Moult
10-23-2010, 08:49 PM
It now shows whether or not the session is a SPECTATE-ONLY or a CO-OP session. Also, if it is a spectate-only session, if you know the password to the session, you can override the spectatorship and control the character. This is useful if you get disconnected whilst you are playing and logged out of your own session.

Also thanks to Sorear sessions now show the race, class, and level of the PC. Also, the idle time (how long it has been in minutes and seconds since the last keystroke) is shown so you know if the guy is actually playing actively.

gut
11-10-2010, 04:54 PM
I'm posting a few lines from Jaakos's old server help page here.
I'll only post the lines that pertain to putty configuration.

Window -> Rows: 25 (you NEED this to launch ADOM!)
Window -> Columns: 80 (this should be the default)
Terminal -> Bell -> None (bell disabled)
Features -> Disable application keypad mode
Terminal -> Keyboard -> xterm R6 (in order to use the function keys properly)

moonshine
11-12-2010, 04:29 AM
- Just a heads up that if you press Ctrl-s, it will suspend your session. This is an in-built thing in *nix systems and thus cannot be turned off. When your session is suspended, it will look as though it is frozen. Don't panic :) You can easily unsuspend it by pressing Ctrl-q.

Yes it can be turned off or assigned to any other key.

stty stop "" # disable
stty stop "^T" #set to Ctrl-T

HTH, see man stty for more details. You can remap all special keys and do much more with stty.

LittleLady
11-14-2010, 12:05 PM
I keep getting

'Server refused our key' message

logging in as

adom

moonshine
11-14-2010, 10:58 PM
I'm not affiliated in any way with this server and have not yet used it. IIRC there were instructions for logging in in the original message and it told username/password login was not supported, only key authentication. You have to download a key to your machine and use it for login. It is likely you haven't used this method of authentication before, as most shell hosts do allow username/password for login and this method is optional (but it has the advantage that it does not require you to provide a password if the key you use is not encrypted).

raalph
11-19-2010, 02:18 PM
I can't save my game on this server
:(

kapsi
11-29-2010, 04:57 PM
So can you change command-key bindings or not? I'm confused...

fazisi
11-30-2010, 07:38 AM
I don't think it is on this server (or I might not have seen it). I have wished for it too but djinni tells me it is a foolish wish. I asked politely a second time and he laughed at me. :(

gut
11-30-2010, 08:09 AM
we all laughed at you

For now there are 2 .kbd configurations, Sorear's and default.
Same as there are 2 .cfg configurations, mine and default.
The day may come where things are more configurable, but
with the resurection of ancardia.ath.cx, there are options.

Moult
12-02-2010, 06:18 AM
Haven't posted the updates on this thread for a while, but here they are (in chronological order):
http://live.wipup.org/updates/view/310/ (14th Nov)
http://live.wipup.org/updates/view/333/ (2nd Dec)

If you have questions/support I do hang about the IRC channel more than here. (#adom on freenode)

SirTheta
12-09-2010, 02:32 AM
There is some sort of bug where it doesn't always ask you to save your session--it goes directly from you pressing 'n' + return when it asks you if you want to restore your save games to closing the servers connection (your session is deleted immediately). Not sure what causes it, but it has happened to me twice now.

Moult
12-18-2010, 10:32 AM
Uh, it's not actually a bug. It's just being clever :P

Basically it will check whether or not you have ever saved your session in the past. _Only_ if you have, then it will ask you the "restore from backup" question. As otherwise the question does not apply. Similarly, it will _only_ ask you the "save your session?" question _if_ there is actually a game that can be saved. Eg: a session without any alive character will not have the question asked.

For example, if I start a new character, save, it will ask me the save question but not the backup question, since it's the first time. Then if I resume the character, and it dies, it will ask the backup question - if I answer "yes" (and cheat death :P) then it will ask the "save session" question. If I answer "no" to the backup question, it will not ask the "save session" question.

SirTheta
12-19-2010, 05:15 AM
Interesting, thanks for the explanation!

Edit: The reason I brought it up was that I've had this happen when saving a character when I answer no to the restore question but have a character already saved in the session. Sorry for not saying that the first time around, not sure what I was thinking.

JimboBrown
12-19-2010, 08:20 PM
I love playing on this server! Thank you so much for devising and implementing this for all of us.

I have had a similar problem which comes about when I save two characters under one session. For example, last night, I lost both my new dwarf thief and my level 14 drakeling elementalist (who was on quite a roll, for me). I generated a new character under the session (named "fine, then") that I have been using for my elementalist. When I went to save the new character, it asked if I would like to restore to the last backup. I answered "n," and then it terminated the session without asking me to save, in turn causing me to lose both characters.

Is there a way to have more than one character under one session, or is the code intended to interpret only one save per session?

I won't make that mistake again!

Moult
12-23-2010, 11:31 AM
Hmm, I haven't actually done any testing to do with multiple characters under one session. So it actually sounds like you might've unearthed a bug. For the time being I guess we should stick to one char per session.

Moult
02-08-2011, 09:48 AM
Hey all, as those on IRC are already aware, Jaakos has come back from MIA for a while now and so his Finland-based server has reappeared. Also another US-based mirror of Jaakos' server has cropped up (details on #adom on freenode's topic).

For some personal reasons I was planning on shutting down my US-based server and I have now done so, so my server no longer exists.

I am debating putting it up again (I have all your save files safe with me at the moment) on my new Germany-based server if there is an interest in using my server. At the moment the only real reason to use mine is co-op + import support, but Jaakos is planning on implementing those too (as a side note, he is open-sourcing his server too). So just give me a shout if you really like mine for some reason :)

Also I've been learning a little NetHack lately simply because as it's open-source I've got a version on my phone. So I haven't touched ADOM in a while.